Voyager Rear Ports Questions!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
pelissarim

Voyager Rear Ports Questions!

Post by pelissarim » Tue May 05, 2015 9:19 am

Hello All,

So I am attempting to learn how the Voyager rear ports work. Mainly with how they function whether a TRS jack is plugged in or not.

I want to make a pass through panel to have front rack access to the ports. This would mean I have TRS cables plugged in to all the rear jacks all the time and I am wondering if that breaks any base functionally or would everything be good.. I need help on this!

pelissarim

Re: Voyager Rear Ports Questions!

Post by pelissarim » Tue May 05, 2015 4:31 pm

I have read what the Voyager manual said about the rear panel, but it dosent quite give me all the information I need to see if what I want to do actually works...

Anyone? Would just calling Moog help?

LA Keys

Post by LA Keys » Tue May 05, 2015 9:15 pm

I'm not with my voyager right now but believe that what you really need to know is how the shunts are used for each ports.

For example, if you look at page 19 of the manual, about the mix-out loop, you will see that the mixer out is shunted to the input of the filter (the black arrow on the diagram). Then, for your "front panel" you will need to use a 1/4 trs jack and connect the shunt of the tip to the ring. This way it will work the same as if connected directly to the voyager panel.

A jack similar to this will work: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/393/14b_cd-477284.pdf

You then need to find out how the shunts are used, but the manual could be helpfull for some of them:

For example, on page 34 about the MOD1 input: "The MOD 1 jack accepts an expression pedal or control voltage from 0 to 5 Volts. This input is used as the performance control for the PEDAL/ON Mod Bus. With nothing plugged into this jack, the voltage here is 5V (the ‘ON’ state)."

Also note that from the manual: "All red jacks are the TRS type, supplying +5V on the ring, and applying the input CV or variable pedal voltage return on the tip".

This tells you that the ring (+5V) is actually shunted to the tip (same way as the mix-out loop)

LA

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue May 05, 2015 9:32 pm

This document has some more details on these inputs:

https://xa.yimg.com/df/KnobTweak/Voyage ... e=download
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

pelissarim

Post by pelissarim » Wed May 06, 2015 1:45 pm

Omg thanks, I will scourer through that information when I get out of work.

The main reason I was wondering is because I heard about how some moog ports when nothing is pluged in gets supplied a constant +5 volts which would mean I need to wire certain 6 pin switching TRS jacks for the greater functionaly. But that may just be on the Moogerfooger pedals.

LA Keys

Post by LA Keys » Wed May 06, 2015 4:42 pm

pelissarim wrote:The main reason I was wondering is because I heard about how some moog ports when nothing is pluged in gets supplied a constant +5 volts which would mean I need to wire certain 6 pin switching TRS jacks for the greater functionaly. But that may just be on the Moogerfooger pedals.
LA Keys wrote: Also note that from the manual: "All red jacks are the TRS type, supplying +5V on the ring, and applying the input CV or variable pedal voltage return on the tip".

LA

pelissarim

Post by pelissarim » Thu May 07, 2015 9:13 am

LA Keys wrote: Also note that from the manual: "All red jacks are the TRS type, supplying +5V on the ring, and applying the input CV or variable pedal voltage return on the tip".

Yeah thats what I was afraid of... makes the wiring a bit more complicated, I was hoping to not have to individually wire the ports like that...

I was really hoping to just mount these into a 19" 1 U panel and be done.

http://www.redco.com/Redco-PM-TRS-TRS.html