Adding Sequencer to my Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
midilifestyle

Re: Adding Sequencer to my Voyager

Post by midilifestyle » Mon May 04, 2015 5:53 pm

Your best bet to use an ipad as a sequencer is to get some kind of a dock to run midi out of it. I use the Alesis dock, but there are many suitable alternatives.

If you aren't computer averse, you can also use a regular iphone cable along with the new app called MidiMux to run midi to your daw, which can then run midi to your Voyager. That's what I often do because I process the midi with ableton anyways half the time.

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Mon May 04, 2015 10:42 pm

lesNiobides wrote:so, if I am to understand correctly, if I buy a Sub 37, which I was already considering, I can connect
it to my Voyager and use the Sub's arpeggiator to control the Voyager?
How does one connect a Voyager to an Ipad to use a software program as a sequencer/arpeggiator?
I'm sure this is all rudimentary stuff but I'm more of a drummer than keyboardist but have a
love of synths, just not a lot of know how on their hardware!
You can use the Sub 37 sequencer and arpeggiator to control your Voyager by connecting.....Sub 37-Midi Out to Voyager-Midi In...as well as using the Sub 37 to control the things that Demon Dan listed in this thread.

You can connect your iPad to your Sub 37 or Voyager by using something like a Roland UM-ONE MK2 USB MIDI Interface, or iRig which will also charge your iPad if you plug in the iRig. You need the Apple camera connection kit to connect a usb cord to your iPad with some and others have the iPad Lightning or 30-pin connection included. You can also use them to connect your Moog to your desktop computer but you cannot send audio over midi just note and control messages.

If you get the free Patch Morpher app and pay 9.99 in app purchase for the Voyager you will be able to play 3 note chords by using the Keyboard-Simulate Polyphony function, when connected and activated you do not have to use the iPad to play them but the Voyager itself,as long as you have 3 oscillators ON in the Mixer of your Voyager.
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

lesNiobides

Post by lesNiobides » Tue May 05, 2015 10:06 am

thanks for all the information.
Would anyone recommend the Doepfer Dark Time?
I thought the Korg SQ 1 would be an inexpensive choice but
read that "because the SQ-1Gate puts out 10v, you can use it safely with the Voyager for a while without attenuation, but it will stress the clamping diodes in the Gate circuit and could eventually cause it to spazz out and fail."
is this true?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue May 05, 2015 10:10 am

lesNiobides wrote:..."because the SQ-1Gate puts out 10v, you can use it safely with the Voyager for a while without attenuation, but it will stress the clamping diodes in the Gate circuit and could eventually cause it to spazz out and fail."
I don't know if it's true or not but, as with everything CV, I always start with more attenuation than the device needs and slowly raise the voltage until it works correctly.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Fri May 08, 2015 4:12 pm

analoghaze wrote:I am using a Dot Com Q119. I also use an iPad and sequencing software with a MIDI interface. The iPad is a strong sequencing tool.
Thanks, just curious to know (as I noticed elsewhere in the forum) which ipad sequencer do you use... Phaedra?
Last edited by Tyler on Thu May 21, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Fri May 08, 2015 4:23 pm

MacAquinas wrote: ... but I knew within about a minute that the Voyager is KING. Treat yourself my friend, have both.
Hey is this a DARE? Just kidding... and I seriously believe you have a good point. I've been looking at the Voyager XL for a few years, now. Maybe one day soon I'll be a proud owner. Thanks for the gentle nudge!

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat May 09, 2015 7:28 am

For iPad sequencers my favorite are StepPolyArp, Phaedra, and genome MIDI.

Thanks
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

dgb01

Post by dgb01 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:24 pm

I have recently bought a Doepfer Dark Time sequencer, for the money I spent, about £320 from Thomann, I don't think there is a better analogue sequencer on the market which has as many features and is as easy to use.
I use mine with my Little Phatty, which frees up my Voyager Old School for endless soloing!

You can choose to connect via midi or analogue patch cables.

I choose to use both.
I use midi to connect my Roland TR-505 to sync with an external beat.
I use two patch cables to connect the Dark Time to the Phatty, one cable to the pitch cv and another to the cv gate, it couldn't be easier.

Now I can program a 16 note sequence into the Dark Time, and change the root note of the sequence at anytime by pressing any note on the Phatty!
Amazing, and so simple.
Who would have thought live jamming with a sequencer could be so easy?
My fun is only just beginning...........

David
Voyager Old School (with Boss DD-7 and Moog EXP pedals)
Little Phatty Stage 2
Minitaur (played with Roland PK-5A pedals)
Roland D50
Roland TR-505
Doepfer Dark Time 16 step analog sequencer

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=55kfnrQ4yyo

Gorillafoxi

Post by Gorillafoxi » Thu May 14, 2015 11:21 pm

STG Soundlabs make wonderful sequencers. Wonderful everything, really. (Bring money.)

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat May 16, 2015 12:28 am

MacAquinas wrote:
Tyler wrote: The Voyager oscillators have so much heft and power and authority. If the the Sub 37 sounds fat, the Voyager sounds MORBIDLY OBESE.
They each have their own style and feel and they are both amazing. I was from day one and remain in awe of my 37... but I knew within about a minute that the Voyager is KING. Treat yourself my friend, have both.
Sorry for the OT, but I want to find out. Is there anyone able to reject this statement?

At least comparing these two synths, that is...
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Thu May 21, 2015 5:13 pm

bichuelo wrote:
MacAquinas wrote:
Tyler wrote: The Voyager oscillators have so much heft and power and authority. If the the Sub 37 sounds fat, the Voyager sounds MORBIDLY OBESE.
They each have their own style and feel and they are both amazing. I was from day one and remain in awe of my 37... but I knew within about a minute that the Voyager is KING. Treat yourself my friend, have both.
Sorry for the OT, but I want to find out. Is there anyone able to reject this statement?

At least comparing these two synths, that is...
Just for the record... for some reason, the above quote, praising the (more powerful) sound of the Voyager in comparison to the Sub 37 was not originated by me / Tyler, (even though the quote reference has my name connected to it). The originator of this statement was "MacAquinas". I can't personally verify whether one has a more powerful sound than the other mainly because the Sub 37 is currently the only Moog I have ever owned and worked with. However, I have read elsewhere in the Forum (probably the "Phatty Forum") similar comparisons.

I too, am curious to know how much more depth a third oscillator can add to or surpass the sound of the Sub 37. I believe MacAquinas' statement about the Voyager being KING to be accurate, being that he has both a Voyager and a Sub37. Apart from this I must say the Sub 37 can be stretched to get some pretty broad and rich sounds. A lot of the subjectivity has to do with the outboard gear you listen to your rig through. Anyone else want to verify this comparison is welcome. I'm looking at moving up to a Voyager.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri May 22, 2015 12:33 am

You probably just need to do some very critical listening of a lot of youtube videos of the synths being used in different ways. Then try to get behind a Voyager and compare for yourself.

But who cares which one is "better" just be glad that what you have is ultra-high quality and shop around for an excellent partner for it.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

kbmh

Post by kbmh » Sun May 24, 2015 8:04 pm

I have the Dark Time - love it. Easy to use and very flexible. Ordered angled wood sides so it sits up at a more ergonomic angle. Very "playable" in that it's easy to quickly hit the on/off/skip switches to switch up the pattern. The forward/backward/random is fun. I use my Electribe to control the tempo and get everything to sync. The only thing that's disappointing - I didn't get the blue!
Moog Voyager Select Series, Etherwave Plus, Nord Electro 3, Nord Lead 2X, Korg MS-20 Mini, DSI Mopho Keyboard, Korg ARP Odyssey, Electribe R mkII, Moogerfooger MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105, MF-108M, CP-251, VX-351, Moog Werkstatt-01, Doepfer Dark Time.

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:10 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:Hi Gang,

Here's a better list of Sub 37 Knobs & Buttons that can remotely control a Voyager
(at least based off their MIDI Charts; I'm not at either unit right now).

The layout is:
SUB 37 -> VOYAGER

HERE ARE EXACT KNOB MATCHES:
MOD WHEEL -> MOD WHEEL
LFO 1 RATE -> LFO RATE
GLIDE TIME -> GLIDE RATE
MASTER VOLUME -> MASTER VOLUME
OSC 1 WAVE -> OSC 1 WAVE
FILTER CUTOFF -> FILTER CUTOFF
FILTER RESONANCE -> FILTER RESONANCE
FILTER KB AMT -> FILTER KB AMOUNT
FILTER ATTACK -> FILTER ATTACK
FILTER DECAY -> FILTER DECAY
FILTER SUSTAIN -> FILTER SUSTAIN
FILTER RELEASE -> FILTER RELEASE
FILTER EG AMT -> EG AMOUNT TO FILTER
AMP ATTACK -> VOLUME ATTACK
AMP DECAY -> VOLUME DECAY
AMP SUSTAIN -> VOLUME SUSTAIN
AMP RELEASE -> VOLUME RELEASE
OSC 1 OCTAVE -> OSC 1 OCTAVE
OSC 2 OCTAVE -> OSC 2 OCTAVE
OSC 2 HARD SYNC -> 1/2 SYNC

HERE ARE TWO CONFLICTING ASSIGNMENTS
ARPEGGIATOR LATCH -> MW DESTINATION
ARP ON/OFF -> PEDAL SHAPING
(I'd have these two buttons ON before you choose a Voyager preset.)

HERE ARE SOME POSSIBLY USEFUL ASSIGNMENTS
MOD 1 PITCH AMT -> MOD 2 INPUT
LFO 2 RATE -> PEDAL AMOUNT
MOD 1 FILTER AMT -> OSC 2 WAVE
OSC 2 FREQ -> OSC 3 FREQ
OSC 2 BEAT FREQ -> OSC 3 WAVE
OSC 2 WAVE -> EXTERNAL LEVEL
MOD 2 PITCH AMT -> OSC 1 LEVEL
MOD 2 FILTER AMT -> OSC 2 LEVEL
MOD 2 PGM DEST AMT -> OSC 3 LEVEL
FILTER MULTIDRIVE -> NOISE LEVEL
MOD 1 PGM DEST -> FILTER SPACING