Best reverb unit for my Sub 37?

Everything Sub.
Mike37

Best reverb unit for my Sub 37?

Post by Mike37 » Sat May 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi,

I need a high quality reverb pedal/unit for my Sub 37, and I'm wondering what my best options are. The Strymon Big Sky pedal seems like a good choice, and is considered to be the best reverb pedal (along with Eventide Space). However, both these pedals are digital. Would you rather recommend a spring reverb instead, to preserve the analog signal path? What unit should I buy then? I don't need any advanced stuff with lots of additional effects/functions, just a good sounding and versatile reverb. Although something that had a preamp effect or similar, for adding some extra colour to the sound, would be interesting.

Any good tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks. :)

EricK

Re: Best reverb unit for my Sub 37?

Post by EricK » Sat May 02, 2015 4:12 pm

Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Mike37

Post by Mike37 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Wow, I looked at some of the other models too, like the ReTubeVerb. Impressive stuff. Still, I'm leaning towards the Big Sky pedal, as it appears to be a more practical and portable choice for gigs and band rehearsals. These Verona units are probably better suited for studio use. (I forgot to mention that I'm primarily looking to buy a portable reverb unit, and was wondering whether a digital pedal like Big Sky would "digitalize" the Sub 37's sound character.)
Thanks! :)

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Sat May 02, 2015 5:36 pm

I don't have the big sky ... just the Timeline and a Mobius on it's way. Even though the effects are digital it passes the original audio through cleanly. I like the two pedals I have very much. People seem to like both the Big Sky and Space so I would imagine either would suit you well depending on which sound you prefer.

Mike37

Post by Mike37 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:41 pm

DaveBee wrote:I don't have the big sky ... just the Timeline and a Mobius on it's way. Even though the effects are digital it passes the original audio through cleanly. I like the two pedals I have very much. People seem to like both the Big Sky and Space so I would imagine either would suit you well depending on which sound you prefer.
Thanks, I just read about Vermona Retroverb Lancet btw. It offers spring reverb in a more compact guitar pedal-size unit. Hmm, choices, choices... :) I'm sure the Big Sky will do quite well, people seem to like it a lot. I'll probably go for that one.. Thanks again!

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Sat May 02, 2015 5:53 pm

I recently got the 'Knas Ekdahl Moisturizer', exposed spring reverb where you can play the spring and a real interesting filter with lfos and cv options. It's a bit pricey but not that much more than the Strymons and around the same price as the Retroverb and sounds great with the Sub 37.

http://www.knasmusic.com/products/moist ... urizer.php

tsv

Post by tsv » Sat May 02, 2015 6:55 pm

Big Sky! You won't be disappointed.

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Sat May 02, 2015 8:23 pm

These Fender units are great. I don't necessarily recommend a vintage unit like in the ebay listing, they get kinda pricey :-) there's all kinds of clones out there tho. You can have a lot of fun swapping out the number of springs as well as the tension within each individual spring. Kinda like tube rolling, only using springs instead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Vintage-Fe ... 19ff7f8574

bernard

Post by bernard » Sun May 03, 2015 2:04 am

I'm happy with the TC HallOfFame, it sounds very good to me and it's handling is as easy as the Sub37 himself.
As a delay (imho indispensable) I use a Korg SDD3000 Pedal between the Sub and the HoF.

cheers,
Bernard

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun May 03, 2015 7:38 am

About spring reverbs, beware: they are not always intended to work with synths. I ended selling a Carl Martin Headroom because the unit was hit to hard by the synth output. Demeter makes the only one that has an input gain setting.

I still use my EHX Cathedral. Sounds quite guitarish but I like that. Oh and I love the Boss RE20 reverb: no parameter except the volume, but such a charm...

If vintage is what you're after, here is another tip. Get a cool BBD delay (104Z for example) and set the feedback high and the time short. You'll obtain an old fashioned boxy room reverb :)

Mike37

Post by Mike37 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:56 am

Thanks for the suggestions, really appreciate it. :) I just ordered a Strymer Big Sky. Maybe I'll get a spring reverb later, those Vermona units look very tempting... Thanks again.

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Sun May 03, 2015 8:35 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:About spring reverbs, beware: they are not always intended to work with synths. I ended selling a Carl Martin Headroom because the unit was hit to hard by the synth output. Demeter makes the only one that has an input gain setting.

I still use my EHX Cathedral. Sounds quite guitarish but I like that. Oh and I love the Boss RE20 reverb: no parameter except the volume, but such a charm...

If vintage is what you're after, here is another tip. Get a cool BBD delay (104Z for example) and set the feedback high and the time short. You'll obtain an old fashioned boxy room reverb :)
Yea a lot aren't going to handle synths well, the Vermona and Knas ones work perfectly with synths though.

namnibor

Post by namnibor » Sun May 03, 2015 9:51 am

I have a few rack fx units I will have on rack mixer's sends/returns: Lexicon MPX110, and TC Electronic 3xx. I recently decided to get an Eventide Space because like the rack units, they all can also be used creatively with their midi implementations, and dual mono or stereo inputs/outs...it sounds DREAMY with the Sub 37, and I think the 'analog warmth' is left untouched, and this goes for when I run the Waldorf pulse, or when isolating only all the analog oscillators on the Poly Evolver. I do mostly Ambient, Dark Ambient, Space, and Experimental/Industrial to even noise. I really love all the user interface of the Eventide Space with logically placed knobs and even assignable knobs, and display, so it's like so much akin to doing sound design on any synth, I have relegated the Space for my Sub 37 rather than rack units. Not that they are bad, it's just nice to have different 'flavors as options', as to stand apart from the pack, so to speak.

I still want to get a MF104Z or the Minifooger Delay as having other options.

It would be wonderful to set-up a Sub 37 and some powered monitors within a cave that is commercial tourist location where there's indeed electrical outlets/lights, to play the Sub 37 in a TRUE cavernous reverb...that's on my imaginary bucket list.

The Eventide Space is truly amazing and bet it could match the aforementioned cave adventure spot-on. :mrgreen:

Now to embark on doing this newest update today.
Sub 37

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sun May 03, 2015 11:29 am

I had the Knas Ekdahl Moisturizer for a few years sold it and miss it. i'm sure someday I'll pick up another one. I'm very happy with my Space and I'm sure that or the Big Sky would do you right. I just ordered a Digitech Polara it will be here on Tuesday, Looks like a good unit for not much money. I'm going to run it with my S37 / (Minifooger chain) Boost/Chorus/Delay/Polara

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun May 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Dapifer wrote:Yea a lot aren't going to handle synths well, the Vermona and Knas ones work perfectly with synths though.
Thanks, that's good news :)