Best speaker for sub 37

Everything Sub.
franklinstower

Best speaker for sub 37

Post by franklinstower » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:54 pm

I recently purchased a sub 37-- it sound great. I also bought a 12 inch ELX112P active loudspeaker for it. I am noticing an audible vibration on a number of notes. Just wondering what your take on this speaker is because I can return it and get a new one or I could get something else.

What speaker in the 5-600 dollar range do you guys recommend for synths if not this one? I would just be practicing on it and doing small coffee shop size gigs playing the bass role.

Thanks

EricK

Re: Best speaker for sub 37

Post by EricK » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:26 pm

Roland KC 550
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:24 pm

EricK wrote:Roland KC 550
+1 on the KC-550 sounding the best. SO big tho. :shock:

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:47 am

If you can get your hands on a used Motion Sound amp, they sound incredible.

One in your price range showed up in a quick search. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Sound-Ke ... 2c99307beb

namnibor

Post by namnibor » Sat May 02, 2015 7:24 am

Last year I upgraded my studio powered monitors to a pair of JBL LSR308's prior to arrival of my Sub 37 July, 2014 and must say you get a really fine monitor well-within your stated budget and they are not exaggerated bass or anything else, they simply just sound great, clear at all volume levels and both my Sub 37 and DSI Poly Evolver do not even make the monitors break a sweat. Built solid. I tested *many* monitors and these even out-performed monitors costing almost twice as much. :D

***They are currently on sale at Sweetwater for buy one and get second one half off and that is how I procured mine last year***
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR308
Sub 37

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Sat May 02, 2015 8:04 am

namnibor wrote:Last year I upgraded my studio powered monitors to a pair of JBL LSR308's prior to arrival of my Sub 37 July, 2014 and must say you get a really fine monitor well-within your stated budget and they are not exaggerated bass or anything else, they simply just sound great, clear at all volume levels and both my Sub 37 and DSI Poly Evolver do not even make the monitors break a sweat. Built solid. I tested *many* monitors and these even out-performed monitors costing almost twice as much. :D

***They are currently on sale at Sweetwater for buy one and get second one half off and that is how I procured mine last year***
I am sure they are great as studio monitors but you won't be able to gig with them. The OP wanted something for home and small gigs.

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Sat May 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Something that handles deep bass with maybe a horn. I use a compact ampeg 220 watt bass amp w a 15 woofer and horn and it handles it all no problem. Or a keyboard combo probably does more mids/highs also.

Beach Bum

Post by Beach Bum » Sat May 02, 2015 6:07 pm

I use my 70s Dynacord Leslie with a 15'' woofer. You have inputs without the rotating horn and can reserve this for your organ - like I do with my Nord Stage.
This beast is LOUD and clean, just perfect. You can get it for around 100 bucks (at least here in Germany).

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Sat May 02, 2015 6:37 pm

can you give us more info on how you get the audible vibration to happen? I run my S37 through 5 year old JBL 512 powered speakers and never get a ratlle or hum (pun intended).
I'm thinking it's more of a defective speaker issue than an overall issue with the ELX112P, those are decent speakers.

namnibor

Post by namnibor » Sun May 03, 2015 8:00 pm

vinnyburns wrote:
namnibor wrote:Last year I upgraded my studio powered monitors to a pair of JBL LSR308's prior to arrival of my Sub 37 July, 2014 and must say you get a really fine monitor well-within your stated budget and they are not exaggerated bass or anything else, they simply just sound great, clear at all volume levels and both my Sub 37 and DSI Poly Evolver do not even make the monitors break a sweat. Built solid. I tested *many* monitors and these even out-performed monitors costing almost twice as much. :D

I am sure they are great as studio monitors but you won't be able to gig with them. The OP wanted something for home and small gigs.
Sure, they may be a bit on heavy side but they work perfectly sonically for small performances as well.
Sub 37

ebowen4221

Post by ebowen4221 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:36 pm

Get a bass amplifier. Good ones are full range, and aren't as muddy as the Roland 550. The only thing with a bass amp is you'll need a mixer, but if you have more than one keyboard you should have a mixer anyways. I bought an inexpensive one that goes in a rack with my amp.

I used a MarkBass head with a Traveler12H cab. Plays high, plays low and sounds great.

Now I use a boutique company out of Idaho, Vivid Amps. Really light cabs and heads.

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Mon May 04, 2015 3:42 pm

I had once the TCE RH450 head with RS210 cabinet to play quite normally bass through it. Beautiful Boutique gear, with a lot of nice features and design. Sadly, I had to sell these, so can't comment about Sub37 through it, but man that combo sent a wall of sound it was frightening, and certainly when you see the size. To help things out, one can also chain a second RS210 and add an RS112 if something is lacking in the low end ;-).

Draks

Post by Draks » Mon May 04, 2015 5:31 pm

Mine goes to KRK roket 5's but NEEDS the KRK subwoofer to let the neighborhood know I have a Sub37 :lol:

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Mon May 04, 2015 8:46 pm

namnibor wrote:
vinnyburns wrote:

Sure, they may be a bit on heavy side but they work perfectly sonically for small performances as well.
I don't think studio monitors are gig worthy. The cones and tweeter typically have absolutely no protection from damage whatsoever. They are typically installed somewhere and never move after that.

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Mon May 11, 2015 2:57 am

mrberger wrote:can you give us more info on how you get the audible vibration to happen? I run my S37 through 5 year old JBL 512 powered speakers and never get a ratlle or hum (pun intended).
I'm thinking it's more of a defective speaker issue than an overall issue with the ELX112P, those are decent speakers.

The rattle went away.... I think it was the cage over the front of the speaker and it was only on certain notes. Anyway it went away and I'm keeping it. I think the sound is really good.