Noob question about sub 37

Everything Sub.
franklinstower

Noob question about sub 37

Post by franklinstower » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:15 pm

I received my new sub 37 today and am having a problem that I am certain is due to my stupidity!!

The presets all work but when I switch to panel mode I only get a single clicking sound with each press of any key. I have moved every switch on the panel and it does not change it. What am I doing wrong? :oops:

GregVDS

Re: Noob question about sub 37

Post by GregVDS » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi,

it can be daunting at first, no panic :-).

I single click can be due to a very short and not sustaining envelope. Just turn the Amp Envelope Sustain all the way up, and you should hear a sound for each note. If that is the case, do keep in mind the envelope has 3 time parameters and 1 volume or height parameters: Attack is the time sound goes from 0 to full, decay is the time sound goes from full to the sustain level, set by sustain, and release is the time the sound takes to come back to 0 after you stopped pushing a key. So, everything at zero is good for time maybe, but sustain at zero, and your envelope is more or less never opening, apart for a very brief 0 to full to 0, as fast as the envelope electronic can do that.

Let us know if you managed to obtain a sound with this.

Have fun, and don't forget to add your characteristics to the SN Sub37 list here:http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23186

Greg

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Thank you! That did it and apparently I did not tweak every knob on the thing or else I would not have missed this. This is my first synth ever.

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:53 pm

What you can do is select an empty preset 'Init Preset', and move slightly one knob at a time, trying to find the setting that reproduces the sound of the init preset.
When you're done, your panel will be set up for a very simple synth sound, and you'll know more or less why and what does each knob. From there, go on and explore.
Try to go from the OSC section, to the MIXER, then FILTER, then to the ENVELOPES. Once you managed that, go and play with the MOD section, GLIDE and ARP. I found it easier to learn the synthesis and the Sub37 following that path.

All the best,

Greg

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:30 pm

Also read lots. There are plenty of resources out there giving really useful insight into the world of synthesis. Above all, have fun.
Good luck
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:45 am

GregVDS wrote:What you can do is select an empty preset 'Init Preset', and move slightly one knob at a time, trying to find the setting that reproduces the sound of the init preset.
When you're done, your panel will be set up for a very simple synth sound, and you'll know more or less why and what does each knob. From there, go on and explore.
Words to synth by.
Well said, Greg.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _