what should moog release next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

what should moog release next

"more affordable synthesizer"
8%
vocoder
5%
drum machine
13%
modular
11%
new moogerfooger (mf style)
10%
new moogerfooger (cp 251 style)
14%
self contained poly synth
39%

Total votes: 202

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:50 pm

I've seen good bands with a microKorg/Ion and I've seen bad bands with the same. I'm not saying you can't make good music on a budget. I'm saying that as this trend grows, sellouts emerge. I'm sure we all hate sellouts - people who make generic, for-the-public versions of genres we've loved and cultivated. Block Party, The Bravery, and Gwen Steffani. These are our enemies. They are the first wave of electro-sellouts.
-Tyler2000-

They aren't enemies. They're pop musicians. You are free to take them or leave them. I doubt they go around telling everyone to hate Tyler2000 music or his genre of music. It's counter productive to be negative about anyone's music. If you don't like it, ignore it and promote your music.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:54 pm

MarkM wrote:
I've seen good bands with a microKorg/Ion and I've seen bad bands with the same. I'm not saying you can't make good music on a budget. I'm saying that as this trend grows, sellouts emerge. I'm sure we all hate sellouts - people who make generic, for-the-public versions of genres we've loved and cultivated. Block Party, The Bravery, and Gwen Steffani. These are our enemies. They are the first wave of electro-sellouts.
-Tyler2000-

They aren't enemies. They're pop musicians. You are free to take them or leave them. I doubt they go around telling everyone to hate Tyler2000 music or his genre of music. It's counter productive to be negative about anyone's music. If you don't like it, ignore it and promote your music.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:20 pm

How 'bout we get back to designing the Moog drum machine?

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:26 pm

Yeah Moog drum computer!

monads

Post by monads » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:46 pm

I would be in favor of a drum machine. But I bet it would be very hard to give the Elektron MD a run for it's money. Not saying this is not possible, it would just have to very well engineered and thought out.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:47 pm

I think they should make a Moog poser-fighting robot. All analog.
-T2K-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:14 am

I'd like to see a drumMachine similar in concept to the TR-909 meshed with the synthesis features on the Vermona DRM mkII... Sort of an analog drum-synth with a SuperDope step sequencer, Moog filters...The Moog Asteroid ...how's that for a name! No screen needed, well I guess there should be one for the folks that like to save patches & stuff...
But its design has to be real real concise yet FAT (wood panneling, LEDs in the right colors in the right places, big fat pads & sliders or knobs...) but solid and with simple parameter control.
Moog would just wreck sh*t with something like that, in a very very good way!!!
mooohooohahaha!

:wink:

:idea:
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:33 am

A Drum Machine that has CV control inputs for each voice(snare, bass, hi hats, etc...) that way you could use the CP-251 or the Voyager to interact with the Moog Drum Machine.

It could also send CV signal to not only sync but to also modulate the Voyager or Moogerfooger pedals.

Thats a good idea of mine. I'm going to star a new post about it...

dvdborn

MF-106

Post by dvdborn » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:37 pm

I'd go for a Moogerfooger Stereo Chorus/Flanger.
If they have the components to make the delay then they also have the means to produce an analogue chorus/Flanger.

David
http://dvdborn.blogspot.com

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:32 pm

:idea:
Last edited by analoghaze on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

johnll

Post by johnll » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:59 pm

I agree with most of the folks who say they should put out an affordable mono-synth with at least:
2 VCO w/ sync and PWM
1 LFO
2 ADSR or 1 ADSR and 1 AR
1 VCF
1 VCA
S/H
RingMod
Noise Gen
And some patchability in the signal path (like being able to put the VCO's into the S/H instead of just the Noise Generator for harmonic-based random melodies).

Now, don't take this wrong, Moog fans and slider haters! But I think that what this really amounts too, if not a Prodigy, or a Realistic Concertmate MG-1, is an Arp Odyssey! So make it with knobs instead of sliders. Think about how wild it would be if they finally put the old Arp/Moog rivalry to bed, by taking everything that was great about the Odyssey, and making it Moog style, in an affordable package. Well, then again, maybe it wouldn't be too affordable. But the synth I describe above could be a Prodigy or MG-1, or it could be... an Odyssey. Just a thought...

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:51 pm

johnll wrote:Think about how wild it would be if they finally put the old Arp/Moog rivalry to bed, by taking everything that was great about the Odyssey, and making it Moog style, in an affordable package.
That's like getting the "last word" in on an argument.....with a dead guy

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:34 am

i don't think they would make a more-affordable synth with ring mod, even the voyager doesn't have ring mod.

i think one of the reasons a lot of people don't want to spend the huge price tag on the voyager want is because they would also like to pick up some foogers as well.
if this is true, a cheaper model could exclude things like ring mod, S/H, and possibly even noise (but that's a bit extreme, it should still be self contained). another idea is using a cheaper filter, it wouldn't sould as good but people could get the mf 101 as an expansion (and i bet a lot of people out there who want a cheaper moog synth already have the mf 101).

it would be cool if they used a similar design to the roland system 100:

A keyboard module with
- 1 VCO
- 1 VCF
- 1 VCA
- 1 ADSR
- 1 noise gen
- 1 LFO

And a non keyboard expander module with similar specs replacing the noise gen with something else. it would have to have good CV routing so that if you had the two modules (and moogerfoogers) you could use them as one system.

You could also use the expanders for polyphony, much like the voyager/RME configuration

johnll

Post by johnll » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:18 pm

You have a point there. I think if the CV routing were there, so that you could get out to a Fooger Ring Mod, and also out and back to/from the CP-251, that would make sense. There's noise on the CP-251, so maybe the noise gen really could be left out in the model you propose as well.
godzilla wrote:i don't think they would make a more-affordable synth with ring mod, even the voyager doesn't have ring mod.

i think one of the reasons a lot of people don't want to spend the huge price tag on the voyager want is because they would also like to pick up some foogers as well.
if this is true, a cheaper model could exclude things like ring mod, S/H, and possibly even noise (but that's a bit extreme, it should still be self contained). another idea is using a cheaper filter, it wouldn't sould as good but people could get the mf 101 as an expansion (and i bet a lot of people out there who want a cheaper moog synth already have the mf 101).

it would be cool if they used a similar design to the roland system 100:

A keyboard module with
- 1 VCO
- 1 VCF
- 1 VCA
- 1 ADSR
- 1 noise gen
- 1 LFO

And a non keyboard expander module with similar specs replacing the noise gen with something else. it would have to have good CV routing so that if you had the two modules (and moogerfoogers) you could use them as one system.

You could also use the expanders for polyphony, much like the voyager/RME configuration

Gonga

Post by Gonga » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:38 am

I'd like to see Moog do the best midi keyboard controller. It would be a top-notch keyboard like the voyager but available in various lengths, and best of all, would include a unique variety of knob-assignable left-hand controllers.

For example, it would include a Korg or Roland-style joystick, a transpose toggle switch, a "whammy-bar" style spring lever for the 3rd-5th fingers (remember - assignable but definately should be able to drop the pitch 2 octaves like Jan Hammer's Probe), plus the switches on the Voyager that aren't on the RME, etc.

Those of us who have the RME and have stepping artifacts from our outboard midi controllers would especially like to be able to have a top-notch controller like this.

I would even like a remote version with a joystick and other controls, reachable by all the fingers of the left hand.

Now that would be a real instrument.

Here's a photo of a mod I built in 1980 or so showing a left-hand controller for my Roland SH-1000 that includes dedicated pitch, filter freq, resonance, transpose toggle switch, and tuning, all within instant reach with the fingers of the left hand while holding the pitch KNOB! :lol: I used to use the transpose toggle all the time during solos! You can barely see it sticking out from the lower left behind the pitch knob. Sorry about the blur.