My New Mooger Fooger Cabinet!

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Bryan B

My New Mooger Fooger Cabinet!

Post by Bryan B » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:13 pm

Ever since I bought all of the Foogers back, I have been trying to come up with something better than just the rack for my MoogerFooger modular. For me the rack fails to allow access or even a decent view of the jacks which are half of the power in these. When I lay them flat (as you can see on the shelf in the background of the pics), it is even worse. I drew up a bunch of ideas and none of them stuck, until I came up with this!

For now it is just a couple of teaser photos. I still have to install the top support bar that goes along the top back edge to add strength to the cabinet. The idea is that they sit at a steep angle and the piece they all mount to swivels toward you to allow for easier patching and a better view. The protective paper is still on the sides, that is why it looks brown. It is all 3/8" thick Black Acrylic, so it will be strong. I put a handle on the bottom front edge to assist with moving it or taking it out on the town. I also made holes for either Foogers or the CP-251 (including power holes on the top or bottom), in case I need them in the future. I also will put holes in the top bar (not shown in the pic) so I can mount some CP-251 style boxes horizontally along the top. It should fit 7 Foogers on the swivel rack and 4 CP-251's across the top. No I don't plan on having 4 CP-251's, but I do plan on having 4 of a really cool box that my buddy will be bringing to market this year (mum is the word for now on that).

My studio gets a bit messy when I am in the middle of a project like this, sorry.

MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Bryan B

Re: My New Mooger Fooger Cabinet!

Post by Bryan B » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:34 pm

I still need to add more hinges to support all of that weight, but I wanted to see what it looked like:

MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:39 pm

That's quite the project! It looks very nice, indeed. I applaud your tenacity.

Revtor

Post by Revtor » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:55 pm

Great idea with the pivot.. I assume they are fastened to the shelf somehow?

~Steve

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:37 am

Thanks guys!

The foogers all mount to 1 panel that is attached with self-closing cabinet hinges. It has 2 positions that are both self reinforced with gravity against angled pieces from behind.

I am still wondering if it will work the way I intended. I guess sometimes you just have to try something out to know for sure. With the original 2 hinges it barely stayed up. I am in the process of adding 3 more hinges hoping that will solve it. Worst case scenario I will just permanently mount them at that angle.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:46 am

I now have 5 hinges installed (originally only 2) and it is working great!

I noticed that when I mount the Foogers to the hinging back piece, the board wants to bow if I over-tighten the screws. I bet it is because the sides of the Foogers go further down than the back, so when I tighten the screws (in between the side panels), it pulls the board in just a little. When that happens 7 times, it creates a bow. I fixed this by adding a hinge at either side and the middle as well as not over-tightening the screws.

Now I have the "big problem" of where to put this in my studio. I made Foogers hinge forward, so it could be placed higher on the shelves and still be usable but I like it so much I want it right on the main desk. The best part is It is all portable now, so I can bring it to the synthesizer meet or when I play out.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:45 am

I found a home for the new cabinet in my studio and then ran power to them all. I am getting excited to finally patch them up and be so close to my other modular to make use of envelopes, VCA's, mixing and sequencing! Here is a couple of pics of the end result:

triptolemos

Post by triptolemos » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:55 am

Looks very thought through! Nice! :D