Sell Little Phatty for Sub 37???

Everything Sub.
markustg

Sell Little Phatty for Sub 37???

Post by markustg » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:22 pm

Hi all,

I would like to hear opinions if people think selling a Little Phatty Stage 2 would be "worth it" to then buy a new Sub 37. :D

Market value of a LPS2 is only about $700 to $850 ish, it seems, so would selling it, and putting another $700 - $800 into a Sub 37 give me that much "more"?

*** In particular I would like peoples opinions on the Oscillators. Sub 37 has the, "Sub" Osc added of course, but are are OSC1 and OSC 2 in the LPS2 the "same" as the Sub 37?

I get all the knob-per-fucntion stuff and what looks like better patch management and sequencers use.

* also the LPS2 requires you to buy the patch management software. Do you get that with the Sub 37?

THNX!

breun

Re: Sell Little Phatty for Sub 37???

Post by breun » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:29 pm

The Sub 37 editor software is included in the price, but hasn't been released yet, as it's not done yet.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:53 pm

Aah... Little Phatty vs. Sub37... dilemna.

The Sub37 surely goes beyond the LP in terms of possibilities and in terms of interface. To me, the only exception is the fact the settings are immediately displayed on the LP's panel when changing the program. Which I kind of like.

Then, in terms of sound (and I don't mean sound possibilities, but character), I find the LP's filter has some... meat the Subs (Phatty or 37) lack. As far as oscillators, I'm not aware of any differences between them (gain, in term of character, not stability etc).

KOPIMI.US

Post by KOPIMI.US » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:42 pm

I heard a pretty detailed side-by-side comparison of the Sub Phatty Oscillator and the Little Phatty, they have pretty much identical tone (if not exactly the same). But the Sub Phatty is, of course, much more stable. I'd say the real choice would be in the features -- Filter tone (which is drastically different), modulation capabilities, and the fact that the Sub37 is duophonic. Plus the Sub Oscillator doesn't hurt! And it looks like you could pretty much do a Moog equivalent of parameter locking. It looks really awesome in all honesty.

I'm not getting it because I already have (and love) my Sub Phatty. The day I want to expand on it, I would definitely go with the Sub37. :)

If you have a Little Phatty, I'd say keep it. It's got its own unique mojo that the Sub37/Phatty just don't do quite the same. I regretted getting rid of my Slim.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:43 am

KOPIMI.US wrote:I'd say the real choice would be in the features -- Filter tone (which is drastically different), [...]
Now this is definitely not features but sound ;)

BTW welcome to the forum mate!

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:35 am

Bump of this old thread, since I just took in a Slim Phatty to compliment the Sub37. Happy Happy Joy Joy :lol:
stiiiiiiive wrote: ...in terms of sound (and I don't mean sound possibilities, but character), I find the LP's filter has some... meat the Subs (Phatty or 37) lack...
This was a very pleasant surprise for me. Listening to the online videos, I felt like I was hearing a difference, and it played out nicely in real life. The Slim Phatty has something a bit more raw and loose about its sound, in a good way. In comparison, the Sub37 sounds smooth and slicker, more polished overall. Of course, the Sub37 is capable of much more complex sounds, and by a long yard. Good to know the Slim Phatty has a great sound that will not be redundant.

Last piece of the puzzle is on a brown truck, an old E-Mu MP-7 Command Station to take charge and steer traffic. 8)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:11 am

Glad you like it :)

I'm playing in kind of a southern-blues-rock band and when I double the bass or guitar riffs with the LP + MF Drive combo, everybody seems to agree :)

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:21 am

I've had a Slim for several years and the Sub37 for several months. The first couple of weeks I had the Sub37, I would have agreed with some of the opinions on here that the Slim is capable of certain sounds exclusively. However, after spending dozens of hours with the Sub37, I've found that it can do anything my Slim can do…and a whole lot more. So much so that I sold the Slim to a friend a few weeks ago, and haven't regretted it yet.

Demon_Dan (I think it was him) has pointed out that you're not likely to recreate a sound on a different synth by simply putting all the knobs (parameters) at the same value. I'd wager that with a little patience and creativity you could recreate any Slim sound on the Sub37.

So, if the only thing holding you back is a belief that the Little Phatty has some magick characteristic that the Sub37 doesn't, then let me be the first to dispel that myth for you :twisted:

I'd say, if you can get a Sub37 by letting go of your Phatty and seven or eight hundred dollars, DO IT. Not only is it a modern classic, but it's one of the funnest instruments I've ever owned . . . and I own a Voyager :D

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:45 pm

Well it's not magic but only character :)

I'm not talking about setting the knobs at the same place and listeing to both SubPhatty and Little Phatty. I'm talking about having a Sub at hands and not yieldng the same result whatever tweak I do. I'm fine with that.