Track exclusively made with a Sub 37

Everything Sub.
Poptones

Track exclusively made with a Sub 37

Post by Poptones » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:45 pm

I've uploaded a track that only features sounds I've done with the Sub 37 (27 tracks in total):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04tH1bGkSHc

or:
https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/again-and

The youtube file has a slightly better quality.
Beta Test Info:
macOS 10.12.6 | Ableton Live Suite 10 | plug-in format: AU | current Moog gear: MF-104M Analog Delay, Minitaur, Sub 37 Tribute Edition

ChiLam

Re: Track exclusively made with a Sub 37

Post by ChiLam » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Enjoyed this alot! Great work - nice evolving track that takes you on a journey. Sub is a flexible beast no doubt - impressive blend of vintage and modern tones. 8)

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:56 pm

Very nice! Broad range of tones and textures. I grabbed headphones and had a great listen. Thanks!

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:53 pm

Very nice indeed! 27 tracks you say?

I am going to have to sit my Sub37 down and give it a serious taking to :D

R.

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:27 pm

This is pretty good, nice job.

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:15 pm

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Much appreciated.

@Rufus the Dog:
Yes 27 tracks. See the proof attached. The group "Percussion" features 4 tracks, the group "Effects" 5, "Basses" 3, "Strings" 2, "Pluck" 2, and "FMing" 4. That plus the 7 others makes 27 and made me wish the Sub 37 would be multitimbral. :wink:
Attachments
screen.jpg
Beta Test Info:
macOS 10.12.6 | Ableton Live Suite 10 | plug-in format: AU | current Moog gear: MF-104M Analog Delay, Minitaur, Sub 37 Tribute Edition

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:35 pm

Awesome :D That really shows what the Sub 37 is capable of. It must have taken quite some time to put that all together. Well done!

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:36 am

Poptones wrote:Thanks for the comments, everyone! Much appreciated.

@Rufus the Dog:
Yes 27 tracks. See the proof attached. The group "Percussion" features 4 tracks, the group "Effects" 5, "Basses" 3, "Strings" 2, "Pluck" 2, and "FMing" 4. That plus the 7 others makes 27 and made me wish the Sub 37 would be multitimbral. :wink:
Didn't doubt it for a moment :D Thanks for the breakdown, very interesting

R.

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:26 am

Poptones wrote:Thanks for the comments, everyone! Much appreciated.

@Rufus the Dog:
Hi,

What soft did you use there? (sorry if obvious to anyone, very new to all this :-)).

Thanks,

Greg

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:57 am

GregVDS wrote:
Hi,

What soft did you use there? (sorry if obvious to anyone, very new to all this :-)).

Thanks,

Greg
Looks like Ableton Live to me.

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Yes, it's Ableton Live. I used the step sequencer of the Push controller to program the single drum patterns.
Beta Test Info:

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Thanks,

Greg

namnibor

Post by namnibor » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:38 pm

Really nice and very inspirational. Thanks for sharing that massive undertaking! :mrgreen:
Sub 37

bowski

Post by bowski » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:26 pm

Dude. bleep is amazing & sounds real nice here! Thumps UP :mrgreen:
I was blowing away when I've heard you recorded 27 tracks with the SUB 37. (holy moly :D )

and that's exactly the point! :arrow:
seems to me like U've got a very friendly workflow except using the very intuitive daw software from ableton.
(me too by the way).

so maybe any useful tips for using the SUB 37 in Live (or any other daw) as an external instrument ???

A very important question to me. Are U only recording track by track as audio or midi data in your daw?
I'll guess this project was all done in audio, and now it's coming to mine and other guys problems.

If I record a track in daw live in audio material, I have to make sure that my tweaked sound source is absolutely great because I have no other chance to edit this sound or any parameters after recording!
BIG PROBLEM for my workflow... ;(
Any tips for recording just more than 1 track with our Sub 37???
Another big problem. When I decide to record a second track, also with the SUB 37, lets say another bass melody, I have no chance to change the Banks or patches, because this would destroy my 1ST track of the SUB 37!!!!

Big Thanks in advance for any helpful tips using the SUB 37 as an external instrument and multiple record tracks!

Greetz bowki

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:48 am

Thank you, namnibor (haven't seen you in a while) and bowski!
bowski wrote:seems to me like U've got a very friendly workflow except using the very intuitive daw software from ableton.
Yeah, using Ableton together with Push helps a lot. Its sequencer option also made it easier to develop the percussion patterns for my recording.
bowski wrote:so maybe any useful tips for using the SUB 37 in Live (or any other daw) as an external instrument ???
Hm, nothing specific really. I have the Sub 37 set up as an external instrument in Live so that I can basically treat it like a plug-in. But that's what I do with all my external gear. The MIDI specs of the Sub 37 are pretty good and since every knob on the panel sends MIDI CCs, working on any kind of automation in Live is easy. I don't overdo the latter though, as I prefer the spontaneous manipulation of sounds while recording.
bowski wrote:A very important question to me. Are U only recording track by track as audio or midi data in your daw?
I'll guess this project was all done in audio, and now it's coming to mine and other guys problems.
This will hopefully answer all of your other questions as well:
Since the Sub 37 is not multitimbral, there is no other option than to record track by track. You can't play back two or more MIDI tracks at the same time that are supposed to trigger different presets. I recorded everything as a MIDI track first and after I was satisfied with what had been played or programmed, I recorded each track to audio with some live tweaking.
In this process, you have to make sure to only activate the always current 'external instrument' in Live in case you operate with several MIDI tracks that make use of the external instrument device. Otherwise you'll end up with a mess of MIDI notes that are being sent to the Sub 37.
So yeah, not an ideal workflow situation. In my case it was an artificial situation since I would usually record with more than just one instrument. But I liked the challange and it also helps you getting familiar with a fairly new instrument.

I hope that helps.
Beta Test Info: