Help Choose my First Fooger

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
MoogProg

Help Choose my First Fooger

Post by MoogProg » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:36 am

Hey Moogers, can I get an assist? The 'Gear Fund' is doing well, and I'm on the verge of going downtown and making today a Fooger Friday! :D Budget is enough for a non-delay Fooger. Which One?

Will be used primarily with a Sub37, but I am very interested in models with CV Outputs that could be piped into the Sub37, into Minifoogers (have most of the minis), and to/from an Arturia MicroBrute. In other words, the Fooger wants expand the 'desktop quasi modular' set-up in addition to providing audio processing of its own.

Talk me into something awesome!

paramnesia

Re: Help Choose my First Fooger

Post by paramnesia » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:43 am

get the soon to be discontinued Moogerfoogers before they are gone...
Sub37TE V1.2 / 4 X CP-251, 3 x MF-104M, MF-102, MF-107, MF-108M, 4 x Mother32, MP-201
My Eurorack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2268669
My Pedal Board https://www.modulargrid.net/p/racks/view/461843

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:19 am

paramnesia wrote:get the soon to be discontinued Moogerfoogers before they are gone...
:?: Good point. However, I'm not sure which Foogers are on the outs, but you gave me an idea! :wink:

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:37 am

I would have said get the delay, but since budget doesn't allow for that...

Go with the Ringmod. It is the most generally liked Mooger I think and it offers a smooth sounding VCO, a VC LFO and of course Ring Modulator. The RingMod effect is very cool and is something of an alien touchtone. The way this pedal was laid out, it gives the maximum enjoyment from a sing ring mod. Because it is one of the most common Foogers, you can find them for $175 used and sometimes they are in great shape.

If you want beasty instead of smooth, I would go with the Freqbox. This also has a VCO, but it has CV control over the waveshape. Most people are confused how to use this Fooger right off the bat, but if you take the time to read the manual it is a beast.

If you don't need VCO's to add in, maybe a CP-251 would be up your alley. It offers many different essential CV tools in a small package. You get a mixer (with offset), a 4-up multiple, Lag (slew/glide/protamento) with separate controls for the rise and fall, VC LFO!, Sample and Hold and a couple reversible attenuators. This is a bang for the buck kind of module, but it doesn't make any sound.

You already have a filter on the Sub 37, so that is why I am ignoring the MuRF and Lowpass filter modules. The Phaser is a great Fooger though and would add a nice sound to the Sub 37. This is more of a classic sound and adds a VC LFO and a panning type of effect if you dig deep enough and understand the different CV inputs.

I wish you luck! Let us know what you decide and tell us if you thought it was a good choice later on.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:59 pm

paramnesia wrote:get the soon to be discontinued Moogerfoogers before they are gone...

Yeah, which moogerfoogers are soon to be discontinued? I haven't heard anything.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:54 pm

Bryan B wrote:If you want beasty instead of smooth, I would go with the FreqBox. This also has a VCO, but it has CV control over the waveshape. Most people are confused how to use this Fooger right off the bat, but if you take the time to read the manual it is a beast.
Another plus for the MF-107 FreqBox is that it has an ENV OUT jack.

ENV OUT is a CV Out that follows the amplitude of whatever goes into its AUDIO IN jack.

If you connect the FreqBox's ENV OUT to the Sub 37's FILTER CV INPUT and then connect a drum machine (or live drums) to the FreqBox's AUDIO IN, you'll get very cool, rhythmic filter bursts that exactly follow the drums.

With the new Sub 37 OS (coming soon) you'll also be able to send that ENV OUT to either the PITCH CV INPUT or VOL CV INPUT, and then use the new CV MAPPING parameter to have the envelope control pretty much any parameter on the Sub 37.

Alternatively, you could save some money and get the MF-101 LowPass Filter, as it also has an ENV OUT jack. (The Filter part of it might be less useful as the Sub 37 has a fine LowPass Filter, but it could sometimes be used to filter some other audio source as well.)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:58 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote: With the new Sub 37 OS (coming soon) you'll also be able to send that ENV OUT to either the PITCH CV INPUT or VOL CV INPUT, and then use the new CV MAPPING parameter to have the envelope control pretty much any parameter on the Sub 37.
I know the Minitaur can do this. Do you know if this feature will be available for other synthesizers like Taurus III, Little Phatty or Sub Phatty?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:08 pm

bichuelo wrote:Do you know if this {CV MAPPING} feature will be available for other synthesizers like Taurus III, Little Phatty or Sub Phatty?
I know there's almost no code space left in the Little Phatty for additional features.

It would be a cool addition to the Sub Phatty, but I haven't heard either way on that one.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Thanks everyone! Great overview of the potential, and perfectly on point to my OP. When it comes time to get a MoogerFooger, I'll come back to this advice, especially the comments about the MF-107 Freq Box.

What I really did, was go off searching for clues as to which Foogers might soon be gone. No clue.

What I quickly realized, is that a Slim Phatty was just in reach (and still less than the delay). Concluding that the SP is both a new sound source and an effect, I coughed up another few bucks and placed an order for one of the final SPs at get-me-now prices.

Again, thanks for all the replies! For certain, my GAS for a Fooger is not yet doused. 8)

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:03 pm

The SP is another great option.

When you are ready for a Fooger I would suggest the ClusterFlux. It can do flanging and chorus from subtle to chaos, and with the various LFO waveshaping and CV inputs available it can do a lot of rhythmic sound warping too. One of the posters above may be referring to the CF as one of the at-some-point-to-be-discontinued Foogers due to availability of the BBD chips used. That situation may change due to increased consumer interest in things analog.

The MIDI MuRF is nice too, kindofa Pete Townshend in-a-can concept that also does pseudo-phasing on slow LFO speeds and mid-setting envelopes.

At some point you will want a CP-251 too. It would play very nicely with the SP.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:00 pm

Tons of great suggestions here.

I own duplicates and triplicates of the entire Fooger line and if I had none and wanted to get just one it would be the Phaser. Absolute cream and silk. In fact I'd get two...

Stephen

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:39 pm

Stephen I'm guessing you would start with three or four :lol:

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:39 am

Oh my, let's not get greedy now...

Okay, three.

Stephen

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:12 am

from MF-104M webpage: "The MF-104M will be available for a limited time, so grab this piece of Analog history before it’s gone forever-forever-forever-forever!"
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

grenert

Post by grenert » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:07 am

They've been warning about that for a long time. It is probably true to some extent, but it does not appear that the market for $700 delays is so robust that they are going to run out any time soon.
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...