MF Delay with synth - send or insert?

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
carlier74

MF Delay with synth - send or insert?

Post by carlier74 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi,

I just purchased a MF Delay and would like to use it with an Arturia Minibrute as well. The minibrute goes through a mixing desk, so I can set the MF Delay up as a send effect. Is this the best way to use this pedal for synths?

I have set the mix dial to 100%. Would there be any reason to set it at less than 100% as a send effect?

I can also use it as an insert effect, but then I can only use it on one instrument.

Cheers,
Timo

Gladmarr

Re: MF Delay with synth - send or insert?

Post by Gladmarr » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:08 pm

This is my stock answer in this situation: try every option and see what sounds best TO YOU. No one else can make that decision for you. In this case you can't hurt anything, so do some experimenting.

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:53 pm

You can definitely use it in an aux send situation. If you only want to use it with one synth I probably wouldn't use it as an insert effect - I'd just run the audio out from the Minibrute to the audio in of the MF Delay and then the delay's audio out into the mixer inputs. As far as 100% wet signal using the aux ins/outs - I do that with multiple effects units but sometimes with pedal effects I adjust the percentage of wet to dry to what sounds good at the time.

Like Gladmarr said - play around with different things and choose what works for your particular sound and situation.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:33 pm

If it's in an Aux send, I typically set the mix on the effect to 100% and then control the amount of effect for each track by adjusting the send amount per channel.

carlier74

Post by carlier74 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:12 pm

DonutDude wrote: I do that with multiple effects units but sometimes with pedal effects I adjust the percentage of wet to dry to what sounds good at the time.

Like Gladmarr said - play around with different things and choose what works for your particular sound and situation.

Thanks for the replies. I have tried various setups of course, but I was looking for a little guidance as to whether or not a guitar pedal's 100% mix function works the same way regular send hard and software effects work. From playing around a bit, it feels to me that it doesn't quite work the same as a 100% wet reverb send effect usually does; I find I have to add a little more of the original signal to make it work. I have a hunch that what's really important is how loud you send the original signal into the mixer.

The effect works quite well on drum machines, and it that case, the 100% setting works fine.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:07 pm

carlier74 wrote:Would there be any reason to set it at less than 100% as a send effect?
Sometimes, I like to run directly into the effect, rather than as an insert. I'll put a MicroBrute through an MF-Delay and often use a heavy dose of Drive. Running the effect as an insert or send would blend the dry and effected signal, and reduce the amount of the Drive setting to something less than 100%.

Of course YMMV, so follow your ears and try new things often.

carlier74

Post by carlier74 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:13 pm

I have a related question: should I be using a re-amp box to convert the line signal from the mixing desk to an instrument signal, and then a DI box on the other end before returning to the mixer?
Thanks

twelsch42

Post by twelsch42 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:38 am

No. I run a Minifooger delay and a 104m as sends from my mackie mixer without anything but 1/4 cables. No other nonsense