How shall I say this? Me, a disgrace to the Voyager perhaps.

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
donato

Post by donato » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:51 pm

In reference to the statement that he may have bought an Aston Martin and not no how to drive, I'll accept. However, I disagree that the Voyager is not a good starting synth. In fact I'd say it's an excellent starting synth- albeit an expensive one. The panel is very clearly laid out and there are no deep menu scrolling to go through like many VA's.

StefanH

Post by StefanH » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:30 am

This seems to be a Kindergarden!
Sorry to see that a forum, where we should talk about new MMV - Technics, new OS's and sounds, is used as a chatroom for lonley people.
There enough other resources on the web to do that!
Also i agree that MMV is maybe not the best starter to learn about synth an settings, a big modular should do it better...
Stefan

SirZebrathe9th

Post by SirZebrathe9th » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:14 pm

StefanH wrote:This seems to be a Kindergarden!
Sorry to see that a forum, where we should talk about new MMV - Technics, new OS's and sounds, is used as a chatroom for lonley people.
There enough other resources on the web to do that!
Also i agree that MMV is maybe not the best starter to learn about synth an settings, a big modular should do it better...
Stefan
i agree with everything you said. i know about moogs, but since they pretty much all have the same innards, i mean for the most part. like filters oscillators, envelopes, etc. you wont be learning all that much because theres a whole world out there past moogs and moog clones
sequencers, boolean logic, reverbs, and delays, clones, or even transient generators, comparators, stuff i dont really know about. moogs except for the modulars are meant mostly as musical instruments. where as modular setups uses arent as clear. if you could get your hands on one of these you would learn a whole lot, like signal routing and stuff like that

ZEBRA

Kevin Bowden

Post by Kevin Bowden » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:25 pm

For me the Voyager allows the exploration of 'modular-type' routing options without the expense of owning and running a 'modular'.

There are arguments for, and against, suggesting that a modular should be ones first 'synth', I think.

From my point of view, it is all about learning what each basic component does to a sound, and I believe this can be better learnt from an original Minimoog rather than a modular (unless, like me, you had to go the old Roland/ARP "black-box' science lab route).

The Voyager takes things more into 'modular-land' by providing more freedom of control routings. However, unless you appreciate the "basics" you've still got a "modular-esque" learning curve to go through when using the Voyager in order to get the best out of it (and it's latest OS).

Kevin Bowden

Bedfordshire
UK