Moogerfooger Wood Cabinet?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
northern hope

Moogerfooger Wood Cabinet?

Post by northern hope » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:59 am

I would LOVE Moog to make a wooden rack cabinet to match the Voyager, like this one currently for sale on Ebay below. Anyone else agree? How do we petition Moog??!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Moogerfooger-101- ... dZViewItem

GregAE

Re: Moogerfooger Wood Cabinet?

Post by GregAE » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:15 pm

northern hope wrote:I would LOVE Moog to make a wooden rack cabinet to match the Voyager, like this one currently for sale on Ebay below. Anyone else agree? How do we petition Moog??!!
No need to bother Moog about this.

Judging from the picture, I'd say you could make this (or something very close to it) using four pieces of wood for the outside (oak?) and some additional pieces for a bottom and internal bracing. A few hand tools and possibly a jig saw would be necessary, but a wood project like this is easily within the grasp of the average person.

Other than the MF pedals, the patch bay is simply a standard 19" rack, and the CP-251's appear to also be installed into an MF rack (available from Moog). All pretty standard stuff.

Suggestion: Sketch it out on paper, figure out the materials to buy, and spend a couple of happy weekends fabricating.

The result? You end up with a custom, one-of-a-kind MF cabinet built to your needs and tastes (personally, I'd prefer a cabinet wher the front panel slopes a bit more - like the EMS VCS3). Fill it with your 'Foogers and jam away!

Greg

donato

Post by donato » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:46 pm

I should be receiving my 'fooger wood cabinet today. It will be holding CP-251, VX-351, Phaser, Ring Mod, MURF and 104z. I ordered it from www.nice-racks.com I'll let y'all know how it turns out!

donato

Post by donato » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:48 pm

p.s.- that one looks kinda cool, but it seems like it would be a pain to get to the back of the 'fooger pedals...

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:24 pm

donato wrote:p.s.- that one looks kinda cool, but it seems like it would be a pain to get to the back of the 'fooger pedals...
Thats the beauty of it. They're all patched to the patchbay so all the in/outs are accessible on the front!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:20 am

donato wrote:I should be receiving my 'fooger wood cabinet today. It will be holding CP-251, VX-351, Phaser, Ring Mod, MURF and 104z. I ordered it from www.nice-racks.com I'll let y'all know how it turns out!
Interested to see it. It looks like they make some nice stuff.

However, you won't be able to to mount four MoogerFoogers in a side-by-side arrangement like the picture of the rack on eBay. Four side-by-side MF's are larger than the 19" standard. Of course, you can mount them in a '2 plus 2' arrangement, but you need a taller rack to do this.

This is why I suggested a do-it-youself project if you really want something close to the eBay rack. A close inspection of that rack shows that the overall size is bigger than the 19" standard in order to accomodate the four MF's. Some 'filler plates' are used in the upper part where the rack-mount gear is located to fill in the gaps.

I believe the eBay MF rack is the same one designed and built by Alan Relo (AKA Bodie). He posted a picture of it on SquareWave a while back. It's a nice execution of a custom design.

G

Jebus0000

Post by Jebus0000 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:50 pm

GregAE wrote:
northern hope wrote:I would LOVE Moog to make a wooden rack cabinet to match the Voyager, like this one currently for sale on Ebay below. Anyone else agree? How do we petition Moog??!!
but a wood project like this is easily within the grasp of the average person.

Greg
all of a sudden I feel much less than average :cry: :wink:

That is super cool and I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I even ordered in an empty CP-251 casing to turn into a patchbay. Now seeing that I think a regular patchbay would be better...leave space for a second CP-251.

One question...wouldn't having a patchbay connected to all the in/outs on the moogers affect some of them...for example having the patchbay connected to the Carrier input on the MF-102...wouldn't that disengage the built in carrier signal?

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:31 pm

I never thaught of that, but I think it would disengage the carrier.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:33 am

Jebus0000 wrote:
GregAE wrote:
but a wood project like this is easily within the grasp of the average person.

Greg
all of a sudden I feel much less than average :cry: :wink:
I'm sure that you could build something to suit your needs. Here's an idea: build the basic box out of pine (a very soft wood, easily cut, filed and sanded) then use a veneer (oak, maple, etc.) to cover the pine. Wood veneers are available to Home Depot and Lowe's and are the iron-on type - they have heat-activated adhesive on the backside. You simply use a hot iron to affix it to the surface. Since the veneer is very thin, it's easy to apply and finish. You end up with a professional looking box that's light weight and tailor-made to your gear.
One question...wouldn't having a patchbay connected to all the in/outs on the moogers affect some of them...for example having the patchbay connected to the Carrier input on the MF-102...wouldn't that disengage the built in carrier signal?
Yep, the built-in carrier would be disengaged. You would have to manually patch between the carrier out and carrier in. No big deal really, but there's another consideration here:

All 'Fooger CV inputs are configured to supply power to an expression pedal on a TRS connector. If just one of these inputs is shorted with a standard 1/4" plug (not a TRS type), then none of the CV jacks will supply power externally. If you intend to route all 'Fooger jacks to the patch bay and want to keep the expression pedal option, you'll need a TRS-type patch bay so that the tip and ring are not shorted.

G

Jebus0000

Post by Jebus0000 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:11 pm

thanks for the tips Greg.

Are there any other jacks that would cause a problem if the patchbay was connected to them? The LFO input on the Phaser perhaps?

OLFAudio

Post by OLFAudio » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:52 pm

there are three jack on the murf which are a no no. Env- Mix-Rate
No probs on the phaser or lpf
Feedback, Time and mix are a no no on the 104

Jebus0000

Post by Jebus0000 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:10 pm

ezratrice wrote: Feedback, Time and mix are a no no on the 104
why? the knobs still have control even if an expression pedal is connected

donato

Post by donato » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:01 pm

Well I received it. It's a 12 space rack; I have MF's 102, 103 and 105 on top, and on bottom I have cp251 on lower left upper, vx351 on lower left bottom and mf104z on bottom right. I am having to do some minor modifications on the top to access all the inputs/outputs. I'll try and get a pic up in the next couple of weeks. Overall I'm pretty happy as it was only about $150 shipped.