Sub 37 - the best monosynth of all time?

Everything Sub.
Science

Re: Sub 37 - the best monosynth of all time?

Post by Science » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:35 pm

I don't see how it is an apples an oranges comparison. they are both analog mono synths with paraphonic capabilities. breaking it down any further would be so specific that one could not compare any two synths. And the Sub 37 would be a clear winner IMO with just the addition of separating the modulation possibilities from the LFO's.
Current setup: 2 Prophet 08 Modules, Analog 4, Slim Phatty, Blofeld, FA-08, Pulse 2, Sub 37

lushr

Post by lushr » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:44 pm

It's awesome hearing everyone's idea of perfection, and there's always just one more thing that might sway it for X Y or Z.

Is there a moogerfooger high pass filter you can use with the sub 37? I haven't really looked into them, but it is a good idea, I love that ms20 sound!

I'm considering getting some modular stuff to add to the sub 37, but there's no way the sub would compare to mod gear. It does have a lot more depth than I need right now, but there's always the chance I'll grow beyond it in a few years, and that's where having a modular rack could come in handy.

I really want a poly analogue next.... Really really......

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Hirlostek Puts Noise Generator On A Plug! :D

Anyone else had a look at this? Could it be of use on the 37?
Last edited by ChiLam on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

wordsdrawnigh

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:48 pm

lushr wrote:It's awesome hearing everyone's idea of perfection, and there's always just one more thing that might sway it for X Y or Z.

Is there a moogerfooger high pass filter you can use with the sub 37? I haven't really looked into them, but it is a good idea, I love that ms20 sound!

I'm considering getting some modular stuff to add to the sub 37, but there's no way the sub would compare to mod gear. It does have a lot more depth than I need right now, but there's always the chance I'll grow beyond it in a few years, and that's where having a modular rack could come in handy.

I really want a poly analogue next.... Really really......
I wish Moog would release a fully-resonant High-Pass filter Moogerfooger. It would be much more useful to me than a MIDI Murf.

You can get a pseudo high-pass filter using the MF-101 and the CP-251, but it's not the same...

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:59 am

You could always get an ms20 mini and run the sub 37 through the audio in on the ms20. You can then have the high pass filter and another synth to boot
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303

lushr

Post by lushr » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:14 am

After a quick search I wonder if the electro harmonix has something? Or there's the Pittsburgh modular filter which is about $199.

Petur

Post by Petur » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:27 am

mattyp wrote:You could always get an ms20 mini and run the sub 37 through the audio in on the ms20. You can then have the high pass filter and another synth to boot
I was mostly thinking of the convenience of having a HP-filter in the same package that could utilize the same modulation possibilities etc. Setting up keyboard tracking with an external HP-filter filter would also be a bit painful. Especially since the Sub37 doesnt have CV-out.

... i still love this synth tho.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:59 am

The Sub 37 looks awesome indeed, but DSI's Pro 2 seems a bit like one upmanship to me. A very close call having not seen or heard either of them in person.

But what is the criteria for such a title? Modulation ability, sound, build quality?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

bujo

Post by bujo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:01 pm

ChiLam wrote:Hirlostek Puts Noise Generator On A Plug! :D

Hey that's cool!! Some complained about the pink noise in other topics and I agree that to me pink noise is less versatile than white... Surely a matter of taste but a switch for white/pink would have been nice! Then this gadget is a solution :D

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:25 pm

bujo wrote:

Hey that's cool!! Some complained about the pink noise in other topics and I agree that to me pink noise is less versatile than white... Surely a matter of taste but a switch for white/pink would have been nice! Then this gadget is a solution :D
Yeah, sounded really good with the minitaur, i'm just not sure if it can be used with the 37?

bujo

Post by bujo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:07 pm

ChiLam wrote:
bujo wrote:

Yeah, sounded really good with the minitaur, i'm just not sure if it can be used with the 37?
Well in this video, the guy plug one end in the audio IN and the other end in pitch CV IN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52lTU4UMGAM#t=14
As we have this on SUB37 it "should" work... I think the pitch CV IN gives the noise unit some power? :?: Anyway, I think we're a bit off subject... are we?

lushr

Post by lushr » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:03 pm

EricK wrote:The Sub 37 looks awesome indeed, but DSI's Pro 2 seems a bit like one upmanship to me. A very close call having not seen or heard either of them in person.

But what is the criteria for such a title? Modulation ability, sound, build quality?
All of the above, in sound and build I don't think moog can be beat. Modulation, well there's always more you can add but then you're starting to get into modular territory because you need yet ANOTHER LFO, and THREE MORE filters etc...

Ed-B

Post by Ed-B » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi all, and especially those who have both Sub Phatty and Sub 37. I'm looking to buy my first analog synth in 20 years and was going to get a Sub Phatty after playing one last week, but the Sub 37 is niggling away at me, should I save a bit more for a 37 or is the Phatty a good start. Will I be kicking myself after a few months of Phatty ownership if I don't go 37!?

lushr

Post by lushr » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:49 am

Save the bit extra, it will give you a sequencer, hands on access to all the features and a huge amount of memory for saving your sounds, and also experimenting with the sounds supplied by moog.

Maybe you could layby it? You'd be mostly there! Also the 37 has more in the way of grunt, I think it's the multidrive that's new? And a few extra keys on the keyboard. This synth is a bargain for what it delivers!

I sold some old gear to help me make up the price, it just made it that bit easier to get there!

Ed-B

Post by Ed-B » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:03 am

lushr wrote:Save the bit extra, it will give you a sequencer, hands on access to all the features and a huge amount of memory for saving your sounds, and also experimenting with the sounds supplied by moog.

Maybe you could layby it? You'd be mostly there! Also the 37 has more in the way of grunt, I think it's the multidrive that's new? And a few extra keys on the keyboard. This synth is a bargain for what it delivers!

I sold some old gear to help me make up the price, it just made it that bit easier to get there!
Big thanks Lushr, it sounds like it will be well worth stepping up to and wanting for, I have some old digital gear I'm going to sell so hopefully I should not be to far away.