Sub 37 Slowest LFO rate?

Everything Sub.
ChiLam

Sub 37 Slowest LFO rate?

Post by ChiLam » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:43 pm

Just wondering how to get the slowest possible LFO rate?

So far my best attempt has been to Sync the LFO rate (turned all the way left) to the ARP rate, then slow the ARP rate to minimum speed and then change the ARP clock rate in the preset menu to its lowest setting 4 (Whole Notes).

Is there more slowness to be found?

_DemonDan_

Re: Sub 37 Slowest LFO rate?

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:12 pm

ChiLam wrote:Just wondering how to get the slowest possible LFO rate?

So far my best attempt has been to Sync the LFO rate (turned all the way left) to the ARP rate, then slow the ARP rate to minimum speed and then change the ARP clock rate in the preset menu to its lowest setting 4 (Whole Notes).

Is there more slowness to be found?
Hi ChiLam,
Fun challenge! For starters, the ARPEGGIATOR CLOCK DIV (PRESET EDIT 2.1) will have no effect at all on the SYNC'd LFO as that parameter only controls the ratio of the Arpeggiator against the Clock (not any LFOs).

(On the bright side, this means that you don't have to ruin your Arp just to have a super-slow LFO.)

Turning the LFO 2 RATE knob fully counter-clockwise (when SYNC is lit) *is* the way to get it to track the Clock with a 4 (Whole Notes) ratio. (And you're already doing that.)

{Note: My previously suggested method of using MOD 2 with CONST ON negatively modulating LFO 2 RATE didn't work as the LFO 1 SYNC button was on and the LFO 1 RATE knob was already at minimum.}

It would be interesting to see if POT MAPPING could be used to drive LFO 1 RATE down even further.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm

After reading your previous post detailing *why* you wanted this super-slow LFO (to create a very slow falling pitch), this occurred to me:

Whenever you're trying to modulate something very slowly (via LFOs or ENVs) and you need it to go even slower, it helps to make sure that your modulation depth is at the littlest amount needed for the effect.

In other words:

If you're trying to make pitch fall, but your depth is so great that it's eventually going to take the pitch way lower than you need it, lessen the modulation depth so that it stops right at the lowest you want. Use your OSC section to get the pitch's starting point right and then reduce the modulation depth until it goes down just enough.

Basic math says that reducing the amount of travel by half will make the falling seem twice as slow.

Lemme' know if I need to say it a different way.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:55 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
If you're trying to make pitch fall, but your depth is so great that it's eventually going to take the pitch way lower than you need it, lessen the modulation depth so that it stops right at the lowest you want. Use your OSC section to get the pitch's starting point right and then reduce the modulation depth until it goes down just enough.

Basic math says that reducing the amount of travel by half will make the falling seem twice as slow.

Lemme' know if I need to say it a different way.

Thanks Dan, that makes perfect sense (I think) :wink:
Just to check, I would alter the mod depth by adjusting the "pitch" amount knob in the LFO section to set the lowest pitch correctly - and the LFO will still use the same amount of time to reach that pitch - does that sound right?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:09 pm

ChiLam wrote:Just to check, I would alter the mod depth by adjusting the PITCH AMT knob in the MOD 1 section to set the lowest pitch correctly - and the LFO will still use the same amount of time to reach that pitch - does that sound right?
Almost. The key part you're missing is that, when you bring the MOD 1 PITCH AMT from -5 to some value closer to 0, the pitch will be falling slower (even though the LFO will still be traveling at the same Rate).

Temporarily use a Square Wave as the MOD 1 SOURCE and temporarily make the LFO 1 RATE faster. Now set your OSC and MOD 1 PITCH AMT settings so that you can quickly hear the highest and lowest pitches that you want. Now, when you go back to your SAW and slow the LFO back down, it will be moving the pitch as slowly as possible.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:34 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
ChiLam wrote:Just to check, I would alter the mod depth by adjusting the PITCH AMT knob in the MOD 1 section to set the lowest pitch correctly - and the LFO will still use the same amount of time to reach that pitch - does that sound right?
Almost. The key part you're missing is that, when you bring the MOD 1 PITCH AMT from -5 to some value closer to 0, the pitch will be falling slower (even though the LFO will still be traveling at the same Rate).

Temporarily use a Square Wave as the MOD 1 SOURCE and temporarily make the LFO 1 RATE faster. Now set your OSC and MOD 1 PITCH AMT settings so that you can quickly hear the highest and lowest pitches that you want. Now, when you go back to your SAW and slow the LFO back down, it will be moving the pitch as slowly as possible.
Yep - thats what I meant, thanks Dan. The LFO will take the same time to cycle between the start pitch and end pitch but because the pitches are now closer together the change in pitch happens much more gradually over time.

I'm wondering now, if you set the start pitch and end pitch very close together, will this essentially be like emulating vintage style oscillator drift or slop (variance as it is refered to in the new 1.1 FW )?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:49 pm

ChiLam wrote:if you set the start pitch and end pitch very close together, will this essentially be like emulating vintage style oscillator drift or slop (variance as it is refered to in the new 1.1 FW )?
Yeah, you can do that with a very slow S&H LFO with KB RESET lit.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:26 pm

I was thinking maybe one way to get it even slower would be to use the same method as before but use the "Tap Tempo" method to determine the clock speed - but when I tried this there seemed to be a limit to how slowly you could perform the taps and have them translated into the clock speed!

Oh well...