Fun with Chameleon

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Filipe

Fun with Chameleon

Post by Filipe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:38 pm

I was doing something else but found myself jamming with this unusual combination!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC2GlZY0Q70

Cheers

SaussDigit

Re: Fun with Chameleon

Post by SaussDigit » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:21 am

Filipe wrote:I was doing something else but found myself jamming with this unusual combination!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC2GlZY0Q70

Cheers
That was too cool!
I believe the ARP Odyssey bass sound was used in the intro of Chameleon...
Thanks for sharing.

Filipe

Post by Filipe » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:25 am

SaussDigit wrote: That was too cool!
I believe the ARP Odyssey bass sound was used in the intro of Chameleon...
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you. Yes, the bass was ARP Odyssey.
I kept the Minimoog on my left because it is such an authoritative instrument, specially for bass.
It can re-create almost every other analog synth bass, but the same cannot be said for the ARP (or any other). Just change filter poles, resonance, etc.

Cheers

SaussDigit

Post by SaussDigit » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:41 pm

Filipe wrote: Thank you. Yes, the bass was ARP Odyssey.
I kept the Minimoog on my left because it is such an authoritative instrument, specially for bass.
It can re-create almost every other analog synth bass, but the same cannot be said for the ARP (or any other). Just change filter poles, resonance, etc.

Cheers
Do you miss the extra keys when playing the Phatty with your right hand? Or the third oscillator?
How do both instruments compare?

chalhat

Post by chalhat » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:10 am

You did it pretty cool actually

Filipe

Post by Filipe » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:46 pm

SaussDigit wrote: Do you miss the extra keys when playing the Phatty with your right hand? Or the third oscillator?
How do both instruments compare?
Not a difficult question, but the answer is not completely linear.
First, the two instruments don’t compare. Sound quality, playability and versatility in programming sounds are vastly superior in the Minimoog, which is a matured musical instrument that stood the test of time.
Sure I miss the additional fifth interval. You can play three octaves if your song or segment is in F, F#, G, etc. but with a 3 octave C >> C you really have 3 octaves only if you are playing your part in C. If you change key to G (just as in my example) you use the high G in the line that goes down to a lower G that just is not there. You need to resort to inversions and mask the lack of keys. If you are thinking quickly (improvising live) that stress is not welcome, because you cannot imagine and just play. The fluidity of your playing gets lost now and then.
(just watch in which note a grand piano starts and ends). The more keys the better, if you can play.
For some purposes I needed 2 Minimoogs!
Also because of the sound. The 3 oscillator + capable filter set makes the difference in most situations. It makes your main voices so powerful and adequate; it gives you confidence like few instruments do.
The Phatty is a subset of the Minimoog. Having said that,
If I had the possibility of owning two Minimoogs, great.
However I might eventually buy a Phatty if I had the chance.
I am used to it now and I am rather fond of it; I use it to play music, not just experimenting with sound (the latter, nevertheless, is a legitimate use of the instrument as well).
Actually I don’t plan to sell mine. With the right patch and a little add-on it cuts through the mix with delightful texture and can compete with any screaming instrument (I had to lower it down almost 6 db). I has its own merit!
chalhat wrote:You did it pretty cool actually
Chalhat: thank you, that was nothing much. Just having fun.

Cheers

SaussDigit

Post by SaussDigit » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:28 pm

Filipe wrote: Not a difficult question, but the answer is not completely linear.
First, the two instruments don’t compare. Sound quality, playability and versatility in programming sounds are vastly superior in the Minimoog, which is a matured musical instrument that stood the test of time.
Sure I miss the additional fifth interval. You can play three octaves if your song or segment is in F, F#, G, etc. but with a 3 octave C >> C you really have 3 octaves only if you are playing your part in C. If you change key to G (just as in my example) you use the high G in the line that goes down to a lower G that just is not there. You need to resort to inversions and mask the lack of keys. If you are thinking quickly (improvising live) that stress is not welcome, because you cannot imagine and just play. The fluidity of your playing gets lost now and then.
(just watch in which note a grand piano starts and ends). The more keys the better, if you can play.
For some purposes I needed 2 Minimoogs!
Also because of the sound. The 3 oscillator + capable filter set makes the difference in most situations. It makes your main voices so powerful and adequate; it gives you confidence like few instruments do.
The Phatty is a subset of the Minimoog. Having said that,
If I had the possibility of owning two Minimoogs, great.
However I might eventually buy a Phatty if I had the chance.
I am used to it now and I am rather fond of it; I use it to play music, not just experimenting with sound (the latter, nevertheless, is a legitimate use of the instrument as well).
Actually I don’t plan to sell mine. With the right patch and a little add-on it cuts through the mix with delightful texture and can compete with any screaming instrument (I had to lower it down almost 6 db). I has its own merit!
So one actually needs one octave+, unless playing everything in C :roll:
Are you using your own patches?
Do you see the Taurus as a sort of Minimoog with pedalboard? It gives you the possibility of consistent beating across the octaves...

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:22 pm

Fun stuff!

Love Herbie and Chick.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Filipe

Post by Filipe » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:46 am

EricK wrote:Fun stuff!

Love Herbie and Chick.
So do I.
Funny as other stuff I used to like did not age well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44KkrH07A30

Cheers
Last edited by Filipe on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Filipe

Post by Filipe » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:50 am

SaussDigit wrote:
Are you using your own patches?
Do you see the Taurus as a sort of Minimoog with pedalboard? It gives you the possibility of consistent beating across the octaves...
On the Minimoog I started from 'Velocity Growl'.
On the Phatty I modified slightly one of the factory patches (changed its name...).
About Taurus, it seems a fortunate filter/amplifier coupling incident allows it to shake the house even before it reaches the speakers :D .
The consistent beating helps dealing with amplitude holes in the sound that are particularly associated with long sustained notes.
Varying beating from note to note is not inherently bad, for instance the piano derives some of its distinctive timbre from that.
Also, there had been piano/bass guitar combined droning some years before the Taurus introduction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tHUSiC ... d&start=59

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tHUSiC ... start=1515

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvp553a ... &start=535

(Won't hear those properly with phones)
But when you consider the amount of resources that it takes to fairly reproduce the sound and convenience of a Taurus, you begin to understand why it developed a family of its own. And if your hands are busy...
(I will P.M. you my address just in cause you are tired of your Taurus).

Cheers