Sub 37 - the best monosynth of all time?

Everything Sub.
lushr

Sub 37 - the best monosynth of all time?

Post by lushr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:07 pm

You know we spend a lot of time thinking about the greats of the past, the odyssey the ms-20 the minimoog.

But we are in a golden age today!

For me, the knob per function, the sequencing, the looping envelopes, the flexible arp, and the incredible moog sound make this the best monosynth ever.

Don't forget it doesn't need warm up, and stays in tune across the range of octaves.

I cannot imagine a better design. And I think thirty years from now people will be clamouring to get their hands on our sub 37s, just as we were clamouring to get minimoogs and ms-10s a few years ago.

HOW LUCKY ARE WE!?

furiousgreencloud

Re: Sub 37 - the best monosynth of all time?

Post by furiousgreencloud » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:12 pm

lushr wrote: HOW LUCKY ARE WE!?
Imagine, you are a Sub Phatty owner - We were your ginny pigs! And we haven't got a .x OS Update.

lushr

Post by lushr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:15 pm

Well I own the little phatty stage 2 so it's kind of the pre guinea pig to your guinea pig. And not cheap either!

So I do get it.

breun

Post by breun » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:16 am

furiousgreencloud wrote:Imagine, you are a Sub Phatty owner - We were your ginny pigs! And we haven't got a .x OS Update.
I have both a Sub Phatty and a Sub 37 and the Sub Phatty has already received quite a number of updates actually. And there'll probably be more in the future. Plus it's a great synth as it is as far as I'm concerned, using it live as a second instrument next to my guitar is great!

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:54 pm

breun wrote:
furiousgreencloud wrote:Imagine, you are a Sub Phatty owner - We were your ginny pigs! And we haven't got a .x OS Update.
I have both a Sub Phatty and a Sub 37 and the Sub Phatty has already received quite a number of updates actually. And there'll probably be more in the future. Plus it's a great synth as it is as far as I'm concerned, using it live as a second instrument next to my guitar is great!
I also have both. Amos has already said another Sub Phatty update would be coming and would likely include poly chain capability which I am eagerly awaiting.

I wonder if us Sub 37 owners are guinea pigs for a future Sub 61 :D

lushr

Post by lushr » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:20 am

Haha or a sub poly!

My intention wasn't to make people feel bad about their synth, I just think this is such a great time for people like us who truly love synths, so see so much amazing stuff come out.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:20 am

I don't think any of us should feel bad. The Sub Phatty is an instrument of its own, no doubt. And it allowed de facto funding more developments for the Sub 37, I guess. I think the later would have cost more if the former wouldn't have been such a success.
That's how things are going in industry, except we get pleasure participating to that :)

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:49 am

we all need to buy a second Sub37 and put it , boxed, up into the attic if you ask me.

imagine if a heap of ppl did this for the Minimoog. and could climb up and pull it down now, in mint boxed condition...unused. if my dad could say to me "here you go son, i saved one for you from the 70s...". oh my god.

i agree completely with this post, the Sub37 is the greatest monosynth ever and will absolutely be a classic that everyone will want in 20 years. no question.

its one of those incredible collisions of time and technology. All of the moog products (Little Phatty, Sub Phatty, even Minimoog) have been the leadup to this synth, and the knowledge collected along the way has made it possible. And today Moog has the surface mount technology to make it so well and cheap, kids realise their software plugins really ARENT the be-all-end-all, and the market wants it...its like the Thriller Album of synthesizers.

its just amazing that it exists! i still cant believe that a company could get it so right. But then again, Sequential just got it right again as well with the P6 so i guess it is possible for lightening to strike twice.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:10 pm

Blackout wrote:imagine if a heap of ppl did this for the Minimoog. and could climb up and pull it down now, in mint boxed condition...unused. if my dad could say to me "here you go son, i saved one for you from the 70s...". oh my god.
But the reality of what happened is better still, incredibly so! I get to own a brand new Sub37 with its vast array of functions and performance usability. I would much rather keep this than trade for the "closet classic" described above. Obviously this is a matter of taste, and stated wholly for the fun of celebrating the Sub37.

FWIW: The Model D I used to play belonged to our drummer (not to me), and it was the finest example of a perfect condition Moog I've ever seen in photos or in person. Last seen around 1996 when it sold to well known Prog guitarist SR. Complete with Anvil case. Sure hope it still exists in perfect working order in his studio.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:57 pm

If it's not the best, it is pretty close. Certainly the best of its era.

I have a Sub Phatty as well and its is indeed its own instrument, and an awesome one at that. I wouldn't be too bummed to be owning one :)

Mike

lushr

Post by lushr » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:46 am

Apparently a few Voyager owners have been confessing they like the Sub 37 more! Which is pretty incredible.

I agree with them, I had a choice to get a voyager, but it didn't tick my boxes.

Not to be hard on the voyager, many of its features are beyond my needs while other things like arp and sequencer are requirements for me, but aren't in the voyager package.

Petur

Post by Petur » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:39 am

I really wish it had a high pass filter in series with the low pass filter (like on the MS-20). Then it would be pretty much perfect in my book.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Sub 37—the best monosynth of all time?
Nope. No sirree, Bob. However, it is quite possibly the best Duo Synth of all time. LOL :lol:

I spend nearly all my time in Duo Mode and really feel this is where the Sub37 sounds most like itself. Then we add velocity, aftertouch, and the CV inputs for EP pedals to take the Sub37 over the roof, with escape velocity, enough to reach to the stars!

Science

Post by Science » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:04 pm

I have to say i am a bit let down by the modulation possibilities. I have a Pulse 2 which has 8 modulation slots for assigning anything to anything. Even with updates the sub 37 couldn't do that.
This is all the sub 37 is missing IMO. oh and the Pulse 2 is 8 voice paraphonic.
Current setup: 2 Prophet 08 Modules, Analog 4, Slim Phatty, Blofeld, FA-08, Pulse 2, Sub 37

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:12 pm

Science wrote:I have to say i am a bit let down by the modulation possibilities. I have a Pulse 2 which has 8 modulation slots for assigning anything to anything. Even with updates the sub 37 couldn't do that.
This is all the sub 37 is missing IMO. oh and the Pulse 2 is 8 voice paraphonic.
Somewhat different beasts really though, a bit of an "apples and oranges" comparison perhaps.

I'm not 100% sure but when the vst/software editor is released I think it will provide a way to modulate almost all parameters from your DAW so it might help you get closer to what you want.

Either way the 37 is a killer :)