How to add oscillators instability (drift) to sub family ?

Everything Sub.
Solaris

How to add oscillators instability (drift) to sub family ?

Post by Solaris » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:25 am

Hello,
I'm not sure if this was already discussed so I apology if yes. Idea would be to add a more vintage approach to the overall phatty sound, I understand goal was to improve tuning stability to certain extend...
As on dsi instruments if I'm not wrong where it s possible to define drift, maybe on the sub 37/phatty it might be useful ?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts !

till

Re: How to add oscillators instability (drift) to sub family

Post by till » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:08 am

My good old 1979 Minimoog has so little drift once it is warmed up for 10 minutes, that I don't miss such instability at all. Also my Prodigy is very good in staying at its pitch. I don't see and hear a need for this. And if you like to get such instability for special usage, how about feeding in a little wee bit of random drawn pitchbend data from your MIDI software?
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Solaris

Post by Solaris » Sun May 04, 2014 5:33 pm

Thank you and sorry for my delay 8)
Yeah a potential good idea, what've tried to explain is related to statements about sub phatty being too perfect compared to slim phatty which sounds more alive. There is s topic about that I see now
To be followed

:?:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:52 am

Give it a super slow LFO waveform, peaking at about .5V, into the pitch input. Not enough drift? Crank it to a maximum of 1V. Make sure it's a triangle waveform, maybe at a frequency of one cycle every two minutes, or something. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Solaris

Post by Solaris » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:17 pm

Thank you for this clever suggestion! If they can add it in the next sub 37 software I would be very happy as well (to avoid to use an lfo for the patch).

In case Amos is reading this board and want to comment, feel free ! :mrgreen:
All the best

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:38 am

If you don't want to "waste" an LFO - the CP-251 is always an option, or even an expression pedal gently modulating the pitch CV input.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:37 am

ImNotDedYet wrote:If you don't want to "waste" an LFO - the CP-251 is always an option, or even an expression pedal gently modulating the pitch CV input.
Yes, that too...expression pedals are totally underrated. Also, the fine tune knob, but that won't throw the pitch off enough for Minimoog type drift.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:41 pm

The latest firmware (1.1) for the Sub 37 will have the ability to add drift to the oscillators.

Solaris

Post by Solaris » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:31 am

mmarsh100 wrote:The latest firmware (1.1) for the Sub 37 will have the ability to add drift to the oscillators.
Good to know -:) was it mentioned somewhere ? I haven't seen it confirmed at the sonic state video :?:

Backbeatdeano

Post by Backbeatdeano » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:42 am

mmarsh100 wrote:The latest firmware (1.1) for the Sub 37 will have the ability to add drift to the oscillators.

Yeh if this is true that's awesome. Likewise I haven't seen this mentioned yet either. Though Where did you find this bro?

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:19 am

part of the problem that so many people seem to always miss is that the special "alive" sound of a synth is not just the drift in the oscillator frequency, yes it is this but its also the combination of it and the "drift" in the Filter/Amp envelope attack and release when its pure analog VCF and VCA. the slight randomness of the attack time just makes every keypress/note sound slightly different and ....unique. less static. less "sterile".

Play a bunch of 16th notes like a machine gun rapid-fire on a Minimoog, and then on the Sub37 and listen to the bite of the attack youll see what i mean. not only does the actual note start time "drift" slightly , but the attack time changes ever so slightly as well. Some notes take slightly longer for the filter to "wow" up...etc. its all very subtle but the ear picks it up for sure.

i think the Sub37's digital envelopes could really do with some "randomness" as well. this could easily be implemented in the firmware. just an idea Amos...

Cheers,
Blackout

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:56 am

Backbeatdeano wrote:
Yeh if this is true that's awesome. Likewise I haven't seen this mentioned yet either. Where did you find this bro?
It is in beta versions of the next Sub 37 firmware release. The parameter is called "VARIANCE".
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:40 pm

^this

scottingham

Post by scottingham » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:06 pm

Yeah, the variance feature is pretty awesome. It's symmetrical so if Osc1 is +.02c then Osc2 is -.02c
It really does fatten up the sound. Each time a key is pressed new random offset values are generated.

Solaris

Post by Solaris » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:10 pm

:mrgreen: a sound demo would be good (even I imagine you are not allowed to do so) too bad it was not shown at sonic state demo.

Amos please :D difficult to wait ...