Random SIlent Presets

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
PaulLawler

Random SIlent Presets

Post by PaulLawler » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:23 pm

My Voyager which I bought in 2011, running the latest OS suddenly has random silent presets that only come to life if you happen to turn one of the knobs, sometimes it just needs the Filter Cutoff, or Source to get it playing, and if you re-save them as they are, then they are fine thereafter.

I tried to re-install the OS but the directions on the Voyager screen did not match the order of files Moog stated in the instructions. I also did a basic factory reset.

I have used the Voyager previously with the Moog Voyager Plug , and I'm wondering if somehow the importing banks option has messed around with the presets on the Voyager and saved some of them in this faulty way.

has anybody had this problem ? I'm very keen for a fix as I just sold it and I'd like to offer the buyer a fix. if there is one.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

LA Keys

Re: Random SIlent Presets

Post by LA Keys » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:56 pm

Since you updated the OS I would suggest to first make sure that the "boot" and "system" numbers are the same. You will find this in the MASTER -> "software version" menu. Note that the Moog instruction are correct. Here is a discussion with more about this:

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22525

Then I suggest that you download the banks available from the knobtweak group on Yahoo. I personally did made a mix of patches from the various banks available for different editions of the voyager because I have the older "50th anniversary edition" with storage for only 128 patches.

Since you said that re-saving the patches solved the problem I would also suggest to try importing the banks only, if the problem persist once you made sure that you correctly updated the OS.

LA

PaulLawler

Post by PaulLawler » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:35 am

Thanks, I'll pass this onto the person who just bought it. The important thing is to try and find out asap if this is just an unusual software glitch that can be resolved easily (as with your suggestions) or if it's a common fault that suggests something more serious with the motherboard or similar.

LA Keys

Post by LA Keys » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:31 pm

PaulLawler wrote:The important thing is to try and find out asap if this is just an unusual software glitch that can be resolved easily (as with your suggestions) or if it's a common fault that suggests something more serious with the motherboard or similar.
This is definitively not a common fault. The only common fault reported in this forum was about faulty oscillators caused by a bad chip in this thread: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=15. In this case Moog is willing to repair those instruments at no cost, even outside the warranty period.

Judging by the "symptoms" you've described I'm 99% sure that this is either caused by a wrong firmware or sound banks update. I really doubt that there's anything wrong with the voyager itself.

LA

PaulLawler

Post by PaulLawler » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:11 pm

Ok thanks, appreciate your time ! :)

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:41 am

I had the same problem where only a few programs sounded. Turns out I had forgotten to unplug an insert cable and was turning most of the programs silent...

Stephen

PaulLawler

Post by PaulLawler » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:36 am

My problem was that oscillators 2+3 had stopped working, just like Moog said they might recently. Great timing, and currently having the analogue board replaced for free in London, although £115 postage cost stings a bit.