Sequencing Werkstatt Fitted w/CV Expander

Everything Werkstatt.
natallica

Sequencing Werkstatt Fitted w/CV Expander

Post by natallica » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi everyone -

I was previously able to get my BeatStep to sequence the Werkstatt with cables I made, but it was super fiddly.

I just got the CV Expander thinking it would make things easier to interface the Werkstatt with my other gear. However, now I can't get the BeatStep to work at all. I can get my QuNexus to trigger it, but the tuning is way off with the exception of C3.

I'm sure I'm doing something extremely stupid. Anyone have thoughts on what it is?

Thanks!

facon

Re: Sequencing Werkstatt Fitted w/CV Expander

Post by facon » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:00 am

How are you wiring it? Did anything change from before?

natallica

Post by natallica » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:09 pm

BeatStep Gate Out -> WS Gate Out -- which I understand also works as gate in.
BeatStep CV Out -> WS Exp VCO In

kenzak

Post by kenzak » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:35 pm

That is exactly how I was going to hook my Beatstep and Werkstatt together.

However, I want to make sure I don't overload the Werkstatt. The Beatstep puts out an 8 volt gate signal. The Werkstatt is expecting 5 volts max. Also, the CV out of the Beatstep is 0-7 volts. Again the Werkstatt is looking for -5 to +5 volts max.

I found some simple circuits on the Music From Outer Space site that should help interfacing the Werkstatt (or any synth) with higher voltages: http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/anal ... FACING.php.

I have some parts coming in from Mouser soon and will test then.

Ken

Moog Music

Post by Moog Music » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi Natallica,
Be sure to follow the calibration procedure in the manual for the CV expander in order achieve proper pitch tracking. This should be done on a per-instrument basis as pitch voltage from instrument to instrument varies. Your Beatstep may not be outputting the voltage required to trigger the Werkstatt Gate. Set the VCA to the ON position and see if it tracks the pitch. If this works, you may need to step the voltage out of your Beatstep up.

Hope this helps,
Your Friends at Moog

natallica

Post by natallica » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:25 pm

kenzak wrote:That is exactly how I was going to hook my Beatstep and Werkstatt together.

However, I want to make sure I don't overload the Werkstatt. The Beatstep puts out an 8 volt gate signal. The Werkstatt is expecting 5 volts max. Also, the CV out of the Beatstep is 0-7 volts. Again the Werkstatt is looking for -5 to +5 volts max.

I found some simple circuits on the Music From Outer Space site that should help interfacing the Werkstatt (or any synth) with higher voltages: http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/anal ... FACING.php.

I have some parts coming in from Mouser soon and will test then.

Ken
Let me know how it goes. I still can't get any gate in from the BS to trigger the thing.

If I turn the VCA to on and connect the CV out from the BS to the VCO Exp In, I just get a really high pitch and hitting the WS "keyboard" makes the pitch even higher.

Very strange that this all worked just fine with my ridiculously wonky setup of 1/4" mono from the BS to bare wires into the WS and an alligator clip cable giving ground via the chassis.

natallica

Post by natallica » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Moog Music wrote:Hi Natallica,
Be sure to follow the calibration procedure in the manual for the CV expander in order achieve proper pitch tracking. This should be done on a per-instrument basis as pitch voltage from instrument to instrument varies. Your Beatstep may not be outputting the voltage required to trigger the Werkstatt Gate. Set the VCA to the ON position and see if it tracks the pitch. If this works, you may need to step the voltage out of your Beatstep up.

Hope this helps,
Your Friends at Moog
Okay. Stupid question alert!

How should we be generating the DC signals of 0V and +3V to calibrate? I'm curious as I'm not a modular user, but I do have several old and new analog synths with CV as well as a QuNexus and the Arturia BeatStep.

Thanks!

kenzak

Post by kenzak » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:50 pm

Well I've got good news and bad news...

First the Werkstatt gate out does function as a gate in. I sucessfuly opened it with voltages from 1.25 to 5 volts. This was direct from a power supply capable of 1 amp of current.

I did use that Zener diode circuit I referenced to tame the Beatstep's near 8 volt signal.The bad news is that it appears that the Beatstep's gate out just doesn't have enough current to open the gate. I even lowered the resistor in hopes of allowing more current through. A quick Google search showed several people with gates that refused to open with the Beatstep. No mention of current though...

Maybe someone from Moog can tell use what the gate is looking for. In the meantime, I'm going to look at increasing the current with a transistor or using the Beatstep to control a switched voltage source to feed the gate.

CV out works fine. I didn't test with a voltage limiting circuit though. That's next...

natallica

Post by natallica » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:09 pm

I'm getting the new Korg SQ-1 this week so I'll test that with the Werkstatt.

Wesley

Post by Wesley » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:50 am

I have been able to control the Werkstatt with a Beatstep, Roland MPU-101 and Pittsburgh Modular MIDI3, both with and without the CV Expander. It does seem that the different gates can affect the Werkstatt output level, though.

natallica

Post by natallica » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm starting to wonder if my Expander has something wrong with it.

I took it off and am able to sequence the WS with my new SQ-1 just fine. I put it back on and nothing.

:?

natallica

Post by natallica » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Based on my conversation with tech support today, it sounds like something isn't right with my Expander.

I contacted Sweetwater and they're sending me another one as soon as they get them in stock. I'll report back once I get the replacement.

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:29 am

this might be a stupid question but when the cv expander is installed does that render the little patch cables useless?? it sorta looks that way in the pics i've seen?
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:55 am

Yes, you can no longer plug those ins, since the expansion port is inside their jack;. even though you could use another tool to make contact with them... couldn't you??
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

janmelin

Post by janmelin » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:55 pm

I use the BeatStep with my Werkstatt and that works perfect.
But I do not use the gate out at Werkstatt. Insted I use the vey simple gate in mod found here:
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 02#p133775

Calibrating the BeatStep:
1. Connect CV Out from BeatStep to VCO EXP IN on Werkstatt.
2. Connect Gate Out from Beatstep to the new GATE IN on Werkstatt.
3. Chose Major scale on BeatStep Sequencer.
4. Turn transpose encoder 1 full counter clockwise.
5. Set VCO FREQ on Werkstatt in about middle position and fine tune it to a C tone with for example a chromatic guitar tuner.
6. Turn transpose encoder 1 at Beatstep seven steps clockwise (a full octave).
7. Adjust VCO EXP TRIM (VR5) on Werkstatt to a C tone.
8. Now turn transpose encoder 1 on BeatStep full counter clockwise.
9. Again adjust VCO FREQ on Werkstatt to a C tone.
10. Repeat step 6 to 9 until you get the C tone in both octaves. It can take several repeats.

I can not guarante that this is good for Werkstatt as it seems that the Moog wants 5V for gate level and BeatStep gives 8V but I have not had any problem and everything works fine for me.
Same with the gate in mod.