Biggest news in MOOG History coming Monday?

Everything Phatty.
Blackout

Biggest news in MOOG History coming Monday?

Post by Blackout » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:48 am

mattyp

Re: Biggest news in MOOG History coming Monday?

Post by mattyp » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:13 am

Model d re issue
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:04 am

isnt that really the Voyager already tho?

could be Keith Emersons Moog re-issue available to buy....

B3 guy

Post by B3 guy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:27 am

Looks like mailing list bait but then again I haven't had my coffee yet. :|

A few possibilities...
1) Model D re-issue so we could relive the 70s with the Model D vs the Odyssey all over again.
2) A poly. I got to meet Amos last summer and at the time he was definitely DOWN on that idea. Quoted Bob as saying "There's never been a company that released a poly that didn't go broke (para)".
3) Emerson Modular. I think they're already on sale for 18 ding-dong-dillion dollars.
4) Eurorack. That could be fun: build your own custom modular at a fraction of a ding-dong-dillion dollars.
5) Sub with effects. One can dream.
6) Company sold/merged. Please no.

Off to get coffee. What did I miss?

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:10 pm

It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

torinkrell

Post by torinkrell » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:49 pm

B3 guy - you have listed some good possibilities. Another option I can think of would be a rack module based on a Sub 37, designed so that several could be easily linked with a Sub 37 to make a poly that retains all the Sub 37's features and adds a few new ones.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:12 pm

I'll throw out a wild guess I haven't seen anyhwere so far...

Digital synth, Animoog-based

That would be a historic Moog event, now wouldn't it?

scottingham

Post by scottingham » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:17 pm

The werkStatt has demonstrated that they can make solid surface-mount analog equipment. Given that, a poly based on the werkstatt circuits seems reasonable. I'm hoping it's something to this effect as I'm not quite sold on the streichfett I've recently acquired.

Eurorack would be awesome,but not 'huge' news territory.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:46 am

moog's first analog drum machine?

re: companies that go broke releasing a Poly...huh? Polysix Korg? all the Roland Polys? is he specifically referring to US companies only then?

B3 guy

Post by B3 guy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:05 am

Since it was a quote from Bob I assumed it was that that Bob saw his main competitors back in the day as Oberheim, ARP etc. Just to contextualize this was at one of the workshops and the conversation was about the cost of multiple VCOs in a polyphonic instrument. It's an interesting point since a lot of the current polys are using DCOs.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:25 am

yeah it sounds like his US adversaries...Sequential Circuits, Arp, Oberheim...its a fair point in that perspective...of course the Polysix is VCO, Poly Jupiter 8 is VCO, etc. And they did not go broke... So the DCO argument doesnt really hold water either.

but i get your point.

From what i remember tho, Sequential Circuits was going gangbusters with the Prophet 5 Poly. it pretty much floated the rest of their projects/synths for years. it was going digital that was the downfall for SS. not Poly VCO. im sure others will remember much better than me what actually happened but that was the general gist.

surface mount technology has made multiple vco's much cheaper tho these days. so its much less likely to cost $10k for a Prophet-10 equivalent...

B3 guy

Post by B3 guy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:28 am

I hear ya...just passing along a quote, not advocating the quote. I'm sure looking over the books like Bob was gives you a different perspective but my consumer-based memory of the era it was the digital rage not polyphonic that forced a lot of analog manufacturers go by the wayside. Shame.

The Jupiter 8 was $5,000 and the DX was $2,000. It just plain changed the game on cost. Sequential Circuits tried to adapt to digital but the 440 did them in. I'm glad times have changed... but a tiny part of me does miss the days when you could pick up an out of vogue analog for nothing. Nobody wanted them. I got a Juno for $100, a Minimoog D for $400, a Korg Poly for $75.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:49 am

From another forum:
Postby HumbuckerMusic » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:55 am
Hello all,

My name is Jake and I'm the owner of Humbucker Music. Just so you know the reasoning behind our post, I asked our marketing guy (who is also our website and photography guy) to make an announcement in some synth forums about the upcoming news from Moog. While it is indeed designed to get people to sign up for our Moog Club (not our normal newsletter, just the Moog Club newsletter), the main purpose is absolutely not just that. There really is something extremely cool that's going to be announced by Moog on Monday. Surf Green Voyager? That literally made me laugh out loud when I read that. Not a bad guess coming from us, but that's not it. :) I have a confidentially agreement with Moog, so I can't reveal too much, but I'll give a few hints just for the fun of it.

1) It's not exclusive to Humbucker Music at all, but it will not be available to all Moog dealers. Only a select few.
2) It's definitely not for everyone.
3) It's not another Voyager.
4) It's not a drum machine, but I would like that to happen so much it's not funny!

As for who we are, Humbucker Music is primarily a high end guitar and amp shop who also sells Moog Music products. We have been a dealer since 2000 (the Big Briar days) and have consistently been one of the top dealers in the country. Truth is, I own 3 guitars, but I have about 25 vintage and newer synths. Amps are even more of a passion, but that's a different story. I'm afraid if I count them my wife will find out. I keep them hidden the best I can. haha!

Anyway, I don't know if it means anything to any of you, but I just thought I'd fill you in a little more about us and the reason for the post. Thanks for reading this far!

Oh, and we're waiting on a new shipment of t-shirts. They were a little more popular than we anticipated. Heck, an XS won't even fit on my arm. :D

Jake
Humbucker Music
http://www.humbuckermusic.com
(706) 866-2161
*MOOG PRO AUTHORIZED DEALER*
... and THIS.

metron

Post by metron » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:05 pm

Return of the living modulars!
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:07 pm

News is on Moogs website now. Very expensive modulars.