looking for a Psionic Soundworks Walking Stick

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
GovernorSilver

Re: looking for a Psionic Soundworks Walking Stick

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks for the clarfication, chromium! The snap-back behavior sounds fine to me.

chromium

Post by chromium » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:24 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:Thanks for the clarfication, chromium! The snap-back behavior sounds fine to me.
Yeah I like it too, due to my affinity for stringed things... but I know that the t/h behavior is desirable. Maybe someday... but then again Eowave and Doepfer have that pretty well covered, and I'm obviously not geared to compete with that caliber of manufacturing. I'm more of a artisan/hobbyist/(hack?) :D

My biggest holdup with introducing a more elaborate controller interface is my lack of experience with SMT (and startup costs), and the rather challenging (to me) board layout. I'd want to keep all of that stuffed in the same, small, self-contained form factor. Not a lot of room to work with there!

Cheers
Regards,
Joe

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:48 pm

To me, T/H is the most important feature a ribbon can have. Saves a ton of ancillary patching and modules. Also allows for long release times.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

chromium

Post by chromium » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:49 am

Believe me, I've struggled a lot around the whole track/hold feature.
Just Me wrote:Saves a ton of ancillary patching and modules
That there hints at the biggest challenge in bringing it into the controller. The t/h circuit itself is fairly simplistic, but the component overhead needed to reliably trigger it really ratchets up the complexity (to ~50 components in my design). Of course, Eowave has the right idea... do it in the digital domain.

Things like the old Moog ribbon, Ondes, and string instruments in general got me thinking about other alternatives that would keep the price-point in the realm of reality... such as the use of one hand to articulate the note-on/off, and the other to control pitch (ribbon) and dynamics (pressure). It actually works well in practice - since the performer can essentially provide the manual "track and hold" with one hand, and control when the release stage fires... or latch the gate on with the other... but you are correct that it won't be to everyone's taste. It's just yet another twist on the same old concepts.

On this go around, I have the entire build process very thoroughly documented, and I'm actually timing every step in order to derive a per-unit build time/cost (...or rather, opportunity cost). Weighed against the sales, as well as my own limitations as to how many of these I can physically produce (especially given my archaic approach, per the above pic), I'll be able to assess whether the next step might be worth the time and investment... and also whether it makes sense to try and outsource some aspects at huge expense... maybe the board layout (as an accelerator to getting that going), enclosure builds (possibly via CAD/CAM), etc...

...or simply come to the realization that this is all insane, and I should be building guitar efx instead :D

Anyway, just my rambling thoughts... Hey, this is kind of therapeutic!
Regards,
Joe

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:49 pm

If anybody is interested in buying mine, it's for sale (whitewash stain).

But you have to buy the matching Voyager Old School that is attached to it :D
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:06 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:Thanks for the clarfication, chromium! The snap-back behavior sounds fine to me.
Works for me, as well. I'm not picky. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:20 pm

I've been studying the Appendage schematics trying to isolate the t/h and a couple other features to small up the build and use with my existing Walking Stick. Along the same lines, I should have a pair of 1MU joysticks done this weekend.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:55 pm

Resurrecting this thread because I still want a Psionic Walkingstick...

Anyone heard anything lately? ...or, decided to sell theirs?

analogmadness

Post by analogmadness » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:03 am

Id sell or trade mine if whe would live a bit closer. Im in belgium?

B3 guy

Post by B3 guy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:21 pm

There's one on ebay at the moment (not mine).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-Psionic-So ... 259d7785ea

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:40 pm

DAMN, I was too late. Someone got it for 250...

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:55 pm

namahshaman wrote:DAMN, I was too late. Someone got it for 250...
How can you tell how much it went for? :?:
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

LA Keys

Post by LA Keys » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:01 pm

* * * * * * * POLL * * * * * * *

How many of you guys would want it if it would cost around $250 USD, brand new ?

I'm asking because I believe I could manufacture something quite like this.
I'm thinking of about 20 inches (500 mm) long.
1 CV output for position AND 1 for pressure
Do you (really) need a gate output?

I don't want to compete with chromium but if he's not interested making them anymore I have a few ideas about it...

I'm just trying to feel if there's enough of a need to build them in small batches, but also what was good and not so good with chromium design. Any comments would be appreciated at this point. There's of course no guarantee that I will manufacture them, but the more interest the better the chances are.

LA

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:22 am

A gate output is really needed. An attenuator for the CV would be nice.

Every time I have talked to him, he has said he was working on a new design, but it's been several years. Depending on what the specs of your design are, I would be interested in one.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:36 am

I built my own, if not less conventional. I took apart my Walking Stick and copied the wiring. Except, I put the ribbon on the neck of a guitar...and added some other things, like a modified joystick... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLST-Jp-My0 It's not that hard of a design if you are decent at woodworking, which I am not...
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.