First post

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Laura_J

First post

Post by Laura_J » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:39 pm

I have been lurking around here too long so I decided to register and say hello to you fine people.

Im a bassist and have an MF 101 and an MF 107 (and a couple of expresssion pedals natch) which I LOVE!
I play a lot of hip hop and funk with one outfit and some more experimental thangs with a drummer/mad professor :mrgreen:

Why is it when you start with foogers you just cant stop?? Or is it just me??
I actually physically ACHE for the fooger 12 stage phaser!! It's a REAL ache!!!!!

what will happen then? will I start yearning for the ring mod??
will I start to NEED a CP251 and a small holdall full of TRS cables???

Is it futile trying to resist????
MF-101, MF-102, MF-107, MP-201

Alien8

Re: First post

Post by Alien8 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:56 am

Yes, futile. :lol:

Welcome to the forum, and to creating your own effects!

The 12 stage - especially with the 101 & 107 - is a great experience. Not only are you getting a really fat & lush phaser, but you also get a dynamic, funky playing sensitive phaser! The CP will be a great asset in this case as well, so you may as well get them both. :wink:

Then you van route the env out from both the 101 & the 107 to the CP, condition, limit and musically control their expression into something that you can run into the 103's sweep, sweep in & LFO rate among others. In stereo, you get a motion rich funky collage of sound!! It by no means stops there!

Likely these three will keep you busy for a while at least, so you can save for the rest of them. Pedals and effects dot com has a great example of how a bassist could use the ring mod, which is only one exams of it use. I prefer the ring mod over a bit crusher, but a bit crusher has it's place too... The other foogers are great too, an have their place.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:51 am

Hi Laura-J, and welcome to the forum :)

The phaser is especially good sounding, true. Plus with the 101 and 107's envelope follower, you can achieve cool phasy autowah effects. That may be a nice variation of the 101's autowah for hip-hop bass lines.

Take a look at the Little Phatty CV out extension demo, I thnik this is demo'ed :)

Laura_J

Post by Laura_J » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:10 pm

Thanks for the replies :D

The ache I had for the phaser is now bordering on what I consider to be pain.
To counter balance it somewhat, I believe an aching feeling is starting for the CP251.
I also had a feeling someone would mention the ring mod at some point..

Now lets take a look at this here Little Phatty CV out extension demo :mrgreen:

Love & Peace

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:44 am

Hi Laura,

Welcome to the forum!

Fooger-Fever is a terminal illness. I've owned them all once or twice over, and currently I long to have a Cluster-Flux back in my arsenal.

The MF-105 was my first and has been a permanent part of my arsenal. The delays are mad wicked too.

The Mf-103 is truly awesome and flexible in some ways that no other phaser is . . . but you might like to know that Mike Beigel, the inventor of the MuTron BiPhase (which sort of started the 12-stage double LFO phaser craze) is going to be re-releasing it within a year or two. It might be worth the wait, or you could get both. He's just now re-releasing the amazing Octave Divider, which I am lusting for.

FWIW I moved on from the MF-103 to the Subdecay Quasar DLX. Less stages, more built-in LFO options, and most importantly it has tap tempo which I really love to have. If they make a tap tempo phaser I might go back to Moog.

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:45 am

Ha! I went the exact same route. Also a bss player originally, fell in love with the funkiness of a 101, then bought a 107 to make synth bass amd then the 103. After that there was no stopping. A year ago I realised I had to have a synth that I could play basslines with, so I took the plunge and got me a Voyager, wanted to be able to learn synthesis thoroughly and not get a synth that I'd grow out of and spend money and time upgrading and searching. Just bought a Minitaur and a Minifooger Drive to be able to have a sequenced bassline to tweak along with the Voyager. I don't regret a single Moog. And now I have ... hmm ...

This might help you hear a little of what the trio 101,103,107 can do. Recorded it ages ago. Sampled myself playing a H Hancock bass and tweaked away.
http://youtu.be/owdKlBrUUKY

Welcome to the forum!
Latest gigs
https://youtu.be/Fpvi7Jrq8DQ
http://youtu.be/owdKlBrUUKY

Minimoog Voyager EB & Minitaur + MF-101 + MF-103 + MF-104M + MF-107 + CP-251 + Minifooger Drive. MachineDrum UW + MonoMachine + Rickenbackerbass (-75) + Hagströmguitar (-75).

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:29 am

Croyote wrote:FWIW I moved on from the MF-103 to the Subdecay Quasar DLX. Less stages, more built-in LFO options, and most importantly it has tap tempo which I really love to have.
I use the Subdecay Quasar DLX too: very, very flexible and good sounding. I bought the Moog afterwards but cannot let either go for now: they each have their own character and functional advantages!

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:01 pm

I'm feeling you on the 251...especially since my CV outs are limited in my current setup.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:17 pm

The only thing better then getting a 103 Phaser is getting two of them. Maybe not if you're just running a bass through them, but for my modular work, nothing says creeeeaaaaammmmmyyyy like two Phasers in series. Then the ClusterFlux as the ideal stereo output module.

Then again, I have two or three of all MF's so you can take what I say as a bit nutty... OTOH, I make use of all of them in most of my work.

Stephen

Laura_J

Post by Laura_J » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:43 am

Vsyevolod wrote:The only thing better then getting a 103 Phaser is getting two of them. Maybe not if you're just running a bass through them, but for my modular work, nothing says creeeeaaaaammmmmyyyy like two Phasers in series. Then the ClusterFlux as the ideal stereo output module.

Then again, I have two or three of all MF's so you can take what I say as a bit nutty... OTOH, I make use of all of them in most of my work.

Stephen
Been swooning over the ClusterFlux too lately.. can Totally see a place for one in my set up.

I'm thinking 103 & CP251 first though, in that order.

What ISN'T helping me is constantly seeing s/h MF-102's at good prices!!

Thanks for all your food for thought people

Love & peace

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:39 pm

Laura_J wrote:
Vsyevolod wrote:The only thing better then getting a 103 Phaser is getting two of them. Maybe not if you're just running a bass through them, but for my modular work, nothing says creeeeaaaaammmmmyyyy like two Phasers in series. Then the ClusterFlux as the ideal stereo output module.

Stephen
Been swooning over the ClusterFlux too lately.. can Totally see a place for one in my set up.

I'm thinking 103 & CP251 first though, in that order.

What ISN'T helping me is constantly seeing s/h MF-102's at good prices!!

Thanks for all your food for thought people

Love & peace
This may be reason enough to get banned from these parts, but so far in my moogerfooger career, I'm actually liking my ClusterFlux more than my 104M SD.

And, I recently picked up the CP251 used locally. I've only given it a quick play, but that thing can really open up a lot for CV-related modulations.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:32 am

Thanks for posting Laura J!

I cannot give any useful advice as to what you should buy next as I ended up with a room full of gear. That is the fork of the road I chose. :D

You can't really go wrong with any of the MoogerFoogers. They all have strengths and weaknesses and they all can be combined with each other in different ways. The fun gets exponentially expanded as you add another Fooger.

The Ringmod is a good solid and decently priced choice. Look for the "Lord of the Ring Mod" article. It has great ideas for the modular inner workings of the Ringmod and other foogers. It can be a VCO audio source (controlled in pitch bny a keyboard or CV source) and it can be a VCA. I often use the LFO output for other duties and the overall sound is one of the best Ringmods I have ever heard.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Laura_J

Post by Laura_J » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:49 pm

Bryan B wrote:Thanks for posting Laura J!

I cannot give any useful advice as to what you should buy next as I ended up with a room full of gear. That is the fork of the road I chose. :D

You can't really go wrong with any of the MoogerFoogers. They all have strengths and weaknesses and they all can be combined with each other in different ways. The fun gets exponentially expanded as you add another Fooger.

The Ringmod is a good solid and decently priced choice. Look for the "Lord of the Ring Mod" article. It has great ideas for the modular inner workings of the Ringmod and other foogers. It can be a VCO audio source (controlled in pitch bny a keyboard or CV source) and it can be a VCA. I often use the LFO output for other duties and the overall sound is one of the best Ringmods I have ever heard.
Wow!
As if my magic: the MF 102 is the fooger I have just reserved to buy!! I keep hearing nothing but great things about them and I NEED that LFO :mrgreen:

CP251 HAS to be the next logical step then.

Am just about to read "Lord of the Ring Mod" : I thank you

LJ

edit: MUST get some TRS cables!!!

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Awesome!

I use my MF-102 as a Sine Oscillator a lot (controlling the pitch with the frequency input control). I also use my Freq Box as a rougher 2nd Oscillator. They sound great together!

The slew control on the CP-251 can take a gate or square wave and make a crude envelope (which can be sent to the filter cutoff among other things). It is touchy to get a useable setting, but it is fun to play the Foogers as a synth! The Voltage controlled LFO on the CP-251 comes in handy modulating things too! I use the mixer section to mix my oscillators and the mult section to distribute the Pitch CV to the MF-102 and Freqbox.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Laura_J

Post by Laura_J » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Thank you!!

And what an incredible rabbit hole it is!!!!

I seem to have burrowed further into it and found the Warren.

*gulp*