A modern polyphonic moog?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Just Me

Re: A modern polyphonic moog?

Post by Just Me » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:40 am

I HAD a polyphonic Moog. It wasn't what you all seem to wish it was. I am still suprised they tried it twice. One was horrible and the other was merely problematic. And EVERYONE complained it didn't sound like a MiniMoog!
If it would have been remotely stable, I MIGHT have kept it.
I'll stick with great mono synths and not want compromised polys.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:48 am

lushr wrote:
megavoice wrote:Wait 'til the next year and it's very likely that your patience will be rewarded......... :D
Is that based in fact or fiction? And yeah are we talking another $15,000+ synth?....
I won't tell ya :wink:

The only thing that I can tell for sure in general is, a VCO synth will never come at i.e. a Prophet 12 for 2 1/2 Ks. But 15 Ks, that would be crazy and very likely let the producer go bankrupt in these days.
An insider has told me a few days ago three big music stores here in this country closed definitively.
And the synth market is over-saturated.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:09 am

What country are you in Megavoice, may I ask ?

And, just curious, what stores are those ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:55 am

Well there is the Schmidt for $22,500. For those of us in the states, the Euro is down so it's cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2exAQcFhAc#t=517

Then there is the Modulus for $7K (USD) but it's digital front end. Sounds good to me and the filter looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Hdb0hDL4E

I wonder how the take up was on the Slim Phatty 'Poly' paradigm, in other words, how many people bought at least 3 of them or maybe 2 to add to their Little Phatty and how that worked out. It certainly looked good on TV.

This Poly still holds it's own... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQfzF2LvSs
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:45 pm

thealien666 wrote:What country are you in Megavoice, may I ask ?

And, just curious, what stores are those ?
I'm in a European country where people have money and the majority in usual buy their instruments and gear mostly only because of this........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
And what makes me even more angry musicians and very good musicians diminished in number obviously with 80-90%.
Audience who had been interested in band playing as well........
For young new and still unknown groups it's almost impossible to gather some people in a room.
Ten years ago when I came back to the ART rock band playing and had been looking for good musicians the advertisment paper had been loaded great with musicians and very skilled ones who liked to play.
When I'm opening up every saturday now there are only about 2 o 3, and nothing to do with rock music or ART rock.
Interest in band playing obviously diminished dramatically and to find a keyboarder who likes to play synths, organ and piano is almost impossible to find.......
It's sad, sad, sad.......
In other parts of this country it seems to be slightly better, or praobably far more better in much bigger towns, but also decreasing.......
I'm living in a town with 200 ks of habitants.....and possibilites for gigging diminished almost to zero, because people who live in the same places always complained about the noise, and performances had to stop.

The stores had been general music stores who sold up from guitars, drums, keyboards to everything else......
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:06 am

EMwhite, your last suggested one is definitely my favorite ! 8)
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:26 am

EMwhite wrote:Well there is the Schmidt for $22,500. For those of us in the states, the Euro is down so it's cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2exAQcFhAc#t=517

Then there is the Modulus for $7K (USD) but it's digital front end. Sounds good to me and the filter looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Hdb0hDL4E

I wonder how the take up was on the Slim Phatty 'Poly' paradigm, in other words, how many people bought at least 3 of them or maybe 2 to add to their Little Phatty and how that worked out. It certainly looked good on TV.

This Poly still holds it's own... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQfzF2LvSs
All very nice machines but there is absolutely NO NEED to spend so much money, 22,500, that's completely nuts.
A good Poly I think can be realized for about 3,5 up to 4 ks and with VCOs, 8 voice.
All above I'd NEVER buy..........................
**** with everyone.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:57 pm

megavoice wrote:All very nice machines but there is absolutely NO NEED to spend so much money, 22,500, that's completely nuts.
Moog built five Emerson modular systems. Four have sold for $150,000. And they're not polyphonic.
A good Poly I think can be realized for about 3,5 up to 4 ks and with VCOs, 8 voice.
All above I'd NEVER buy..........................
Build it and you would sing a different song. Not at all easy to hit that price point.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

lushr

Post by lushr » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:55 am

Yeah ok, so let's see... A $5000 machine, that has say 6 voices (more than enough) using the werkstatt model for a compact good sounding device. Hard wire it all (no modular) and give it as much knob per function as possible - would you buy it?

As a "budget" Phatty owner, I have to admit behringer' reveal that they are working on a poly analogue at budget price has me intrigued. I'm not sure I can justify a $5000 piece of gear, even if I sold some gear, especially with the aussie costs adding another grand.

But I'm sure the Voyager crowd are more the target market for this one. Oh well! Can't have everything!

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:23 am

lushr wrote:Yeah ok, so let's see... A $5000 machine, that has say 6 voices (more than enough) using the werkstatt model for a compact good sounding device. Hard wire it all (no modular) and give it as much knob per function as possible - would you buy it?
^Not at that price. Look, I just passed up a Sequential Six-Track for $199 (needs fixes) not because of the price, but because analog polyphony isn't all that useful (to me—YMMV). There I said it. Polyphony is where a piano, Rhodes, B3 or even a 'string machine' should take over and get the job done.

Beyond that, there is also the musical question, "Why so many notes?" Year after year, I hear myself playing fewer and fewer notes, especially so inside a band. I avoid the root, and often the fifth because you can be sure someone else is covering those notes.

Getting along quite well with a Sub37 for all things "synth" and a ROMpler loaner keyboard for the piano/EP/B3 tones. Looking at Electros and SV-1 for my ideal compliment, but still searching/shopping.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:12 pm

Well said MoogProg.

Stephen

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:46 pm

MC wrote:
megavoice wrote:All very nice machines but there is absolutely NO NEED to spend so much money, 22,500, that's completely nuts.
Moog built five Emerson modular systems. Four have sold for $150,000. And they're not polyphonic...
It`s VERY, VERY likely that none of the new owners cannot play or even tweak.
Probably they're never going to be tuched ever.... :lol:

In Frankfurt/Germany there's a guitar shop, called Guitar-Point. Most people who buy very often a Les Paul there for 70,000 EUs up to 250,000 EUs cannot play any single note...........
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:29 pm

Yeah, there are many collectors and speculators out there, who can't play a single note. But who care's ? As long as they're willing to buy a $150K Emerson Modular Moog re-edition, that can only be good for us, since it will provide Moog music with additional funds to maybe invest in an eventual Polyphonic synth project ? (I'm dreaming, I know... :roll: )
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:53 pm

thealien666 wrote:Yeah, there are many collectors and speculators out there, who can't play a single note. But who care's ? As long as they're willing to buy a $150K Emerson Modular Moog re-edition, that can only be good for us, since it will provide Moog music with additional funds to maybe invest in an eventual Polyphonic synth project ? (I'm dreaming, I know... :roll: )
Yes, this is very likely to be true. If it's good for us, go on Moog ! :)
**** with everyone.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:18 am

Technically one should be able to get a couple of voices of polyphony out of that compliment.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.