Sub 37 - Non-Tribute Edition?

Everything Sub.
ibjim

Re: Sub 37 - Non-Tribute Edition?

Post by ibjim » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks for all the encouragement, haha! Glad to hear that so many of you are smitten.

It's SOOO tempting :D I love my LP, but it just doesn't quite scratch the fiddling itch I have. Having dedicated accessible controls for pretty much all parameters is the big one for me. Throw in the Sub Oscillator, "Sudo"-poly and a sequencer and it's even more tempting! But on the other hand, for the same price I could double up with a slim and get real poly (not sure I would, but just to put it in perspective)...

It's the "Tribute" moniker that's throwing me off. Now the fact that it has been so well received makes you think that Moog would be crazy to end the "Limited" run, but if they're adopting the LP strategy there was what, 1200 Tributes then on to the Stage. Have they said how limited the Sub37 actually is?

Agh, maybe I just need to go and have a play with one. I'm certain I'll upgrade, it's just a case of how long I can wait. I don't want to be kicking myself if the Stage suddenly comes out and I could have saved myself £200-300 (in my mind that's a bonus eurorack module... :wink: ). Still, I guess wooden panels would be nice...

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:24 am

Every day you delay is a day you don't get to play :D

R.

dave500

Post by dave500 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:02 pm

The Sub 37 Tribute should have had blue lights to match the Little Phatty Tribute. :idea:
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Blackout wrote:i
i asked the question to my local shop...their answer was "the way things are looking from the crazy sales, and from what i have been told, there wont be another version. Period." which quite honestly, i think is a good move. Dont mess with a successful product. M

One reason they might limit the Tribute Edition is for the bottom line. For every Sub37 T.E they sell they donate money to a Asheville school music program. By moving to a non T.E. they could stop that payment and donate what they want long term and not a said amount. Also the rubberized end caps might cost less to produce.

The S37 is a huge hit and they are not going to just give up on it after a limited run, that make no sense. They almost have to move to a "regular" release if nothing else to maintain a consistent marketing image. Limited is in fact limited. That said, WTF do I know!

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:19 pm

From what I originally heard -and take this with a grain of salt as it could be wrong or it could have changed (that is, after all, at Moog's discretion)- there wasn't a set number of Sub 37 Tribute Edition units that they were going to make, there was a set time... to make them until the end of 2014. It was speculated by others on various forums as well as some of the Music Stores that there would be around 1200 units or so... but considering they have already surpassed 4000 units made(!) and there are still quite a few pre-orders waiting to be filled (with Moog's own Sub 37 page showing shipping times slipping from 9, to 12 to now 14 weeks) I speculate this may be the only edition, at least through 2015 or until Moog catches up.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:17 am

initially i read (i think in Sound on Sound Mag) that it was limited to 12 months of sales.

But as i mentioned, i am fairly sure just as you mention jido that the whole original plan is just blown out the window because of its success

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:55 am

Blackout wrote:i am seriously thinking of buying a second one and leaving it boxed and putting it in the attic for 20 years, THATS how much of a classic i know this synth will end up being.
I totally agree with you on this, Blackout. I wrote a piece about the Sub 37 in February, right after Winter NAMM 2014, and I ended the article with this sentence:

"...I stake my reputation on this: 20 years from now, the SUB 37 will be remembered as one of the great analog performance synths."
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:06 am

wait until we see Moog's double-punch coming up next....a killer polyphonic synth that blows everyone away. Exciting times

torinkrell

Post by torinkrell » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:32 am

If you look in the recently available PDF of the Sub 37 owners manual, the black and white line art illustrations of the Sub 37 appear to be of the non-tribute version, with what appears to be Sub Phatty like black rubber side panels.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:29 am

ibjim wrote:Thanks for all the encouragement, haha! Glad to hear that so many of you are smitten.

Agh, maybe I just need to go and have a play with one. I'm certain I'll upgrade, it's just a case of how long I can wait. I don't want to be kicking myself if the Stage suddenly comes out and I could have saved myself £200-300 (in my mind that's a bonus eurorack module... :wink: ). Still, I guess wooden panels would be nice...
That's exactly how you should approach this. Take some hours of time to check it out and don't forget your wallet. You will take it home with you, right away ... ;)

...not because of the nice wood panels ... it will be because after a while tinkering around with this incredible synth you will have made some patches by yourself that you cannot leave behind... ;) ;)

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Just bought a Sub37.
I thought it was a Tribute edition like my LP Tribute, but then I saw my serial : 3294.
And so it seems it's not really a limited edition, it's just that, well, at some uncertain point in the future, they'll stop to produce units?
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:33 pm

Khoral wrote:Just bought a Sub 37. I thought it was a Tribute edition like my LP Tribute, but then I saw my serial : 3294.
My understanding is that it's a Tribute version in that it has the wood sides and a reproduction of Dr. Moog's signature above the word TRIBUTE on the panel, with serial numbers not having anything to do with it (yet).

(The picture inside the Sub 37 manual might be a clue as to what non-Tribute versions might look like, but I'd take it with a grain of salt as the panel still says TRIBUTE on it, even though the panel/text colors are inverted.)

Demand for the current version of the Sub 37 is crazy as they're still gone as fast as we can get them.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

JazzMasta

Post by JazzMasta » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:50 am

All synthesizers are in fact limited editions. Limited to the number the manufacturer can sell :wink:

fogbank

Post by fogbank » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:32 pm

Was hoping for a NAMM announcement about this. I sold a vintage guitar to finance buying this synth and am SO ready to pull the trigger, but i'll honestly be a little bummed if they release the non-trib w/a silver faceplate afterwards like the manual suggests. I know it seems a little silly as it's only aesthetic, but it's not often that i'm able to drop this kind of coin on an instrument, so i'd love it to be exactly what I want. Anyone going to NAMM who can 'feel out' the situation?! Holy Moly that Firmware Update is Hot!

zone47

Post by zone47 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:29 am

namnibor wrote:I have to agree that this has been the best $1500. spent on a synth in a long time (other than my Poly Evolver Rack earlier this year). The Sub 37 BEGS to be experimented with and I for one, actually like the keyboard action and entire aesthetics of the instrument. "Instrument"...it feels like a proper instrument in it's construction/layout, and myriad universes of sound you can travel to.
**Instant Classic** **No Doubt**
Moog owes me a bucket load of sleep! :D

Ha ha! yeah, I thought I would just play a little while longer and *poof* another hour flew by ..... way past my bedtime. :oops:
Inspiration seems to always come at the start of a session, so always have that tape recorder going! :shock: :!: :shock: