Moog Sub 37 fw update 1.0.6 failed

Everything Sub.
kvitekp

Re: Moog Sub 37 fw update 1.0.6 failed

Post by kvitekp » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:28 am

Just updated my Sub37 to firmware 1.0.6 -- no problems whatsoever, everything went as described in the update instructions.

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:35 am

kvitekp wrote:You have to blame driver developers not the Windows OS for that. Some of the drivers that I had a close look at from well known manufacturers were doing things that made me wonder how they passed QA. Failing to correctly transmit bulky sysex data (which is exactly what firmware update is) is a very common issue.

/Peter
Yes, bad drivers are to blame. You are right. But my point is, if midi/audio was a well tested integral part of the system, there was no need for drivers :wink: Just one point of failure less in the system, would be great, if we had.

AFAIK Apple has done a better job and understands that computers are not only used for writing, calculating, databases and so forth but also as a tool for artists. If Apple can integrate this, Windows could also, if wanted.

In my case C6 crashed the system and I used it according to the update instructions. Do you know something with a better driver? I am afraid to update to 1.0.6 after having had the problems with the update to 1.0.4.

rbmusic

Post by rbmusic » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:17 am

my first time updating and it all went really smooth. i think the last of the 4 files took the longest but it was about 45 seconds for that one to go through. i know a few guys have had issues when using a USB port via a external hub or the socket isnt just using your Moog in as its only hub duty. if you can isolate one USB port that def isnt working other duties in its hub cluster, that might help. i thought C6 was pretty painless. the PDF was perfectly well written. good luck!!

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:56 am

Corgy wrote:AFAIK Apple has done a better job and understands that computers are not only used for writing, calculating, databases and so forth but also as a tool for artists. If Apple can integrate this, Windows could also, if wanted.

In my case C6 crashed the system and I used it according to the update instructions. Do you know something with a better driver? I am afraid to update to 1.0.6 after having had the problems with the update to 1.0.4.
Apple OS runs on Apple hardware. Windows OS runs on all sorts of third party hardware, which is supposed to conform to certain standards, but rarely does so. Customers pay premium prices for Apple bundle and what they can afford for Windows stuff, and get what they paid for.

If you're afraid to update to 1.0.6, skip the update unless there is something very critical for you in this particular update.

If you decided to update, try to minimize amount of failure points: disconnect all USB devices, especially audio and MIDI related interfaces, that you may have connected. Reboot the system to make sure you don't have unrelated software running. Use high quality USB cable: thick, shielded, with ferrite choke core on it. Do not use USB hubs, keyboard/monitor USB ports, or extender cables.

If you don't trust C6, you may want to use MIDI-OX, which is a well known MIDI Swiss Knife on Windows. Personally, for sysex transfers I use simple and reliable SendSysex utility, available here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/127 ... dSysex.zip -- the only thing it does is sending sysexes, and it does this well, my Sub37 loves it.

To increase confidence in your setup you may want to send factory presets to your Sub37 and see how this works. Please make sure to backup all your custom presets first!

Hope this helps!

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

luczak

Post by luczak » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:35 am

Hello Demondan.
Just rec my sub 37 and it came with 1.0.3
I want to use sysex to update to 1.0.6. If its not too much hassle would you mind listing the update procedure.

Thanks
Tony

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:45 am

kvitekp wrote: Apple OS runs on Apple hardware. Windows OS runs on all sorts of third party hardware, which is supposed to conform to certain standards, but rarely does so. Customers pay premium prices for Apple bundle and what they can afford for Windows stuff, and get what they paid for.
Thanks for mentioning Midi-Ox, just forgot that I have this on my PC already :wink: good idea. Just followed the instructions of Moog.

BTW: Do you really think midi problems on a PC are related to PC hardware?
From my experience most hardware for musicians work on Apple and PC. Most problems are often reported for Windows only. Since a Mac and a PC share a lot of hardware technology, why should a "third party" mainboard that can easily be used as a number cruncher under Windows (like those Gamer-PCs) run into any problem with some midi-data beeing processed?

Just an example for software. I tried to use Ableton-Live on my PC to control external midi instruments. It works absolutely perfect. Switched to NI-Maschine and tried the same ... after minutes only everything that was midi was a mess. After rebooting I had another few minutes fun on Maschine or hours with Live. Seems to me pretty much a software issue :wink:

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Computer problems are always a combination of software and hardware. For example, hardware may have a subtle peculiarity (devices are not identical), but generic software that needs to work on all sorts of hardware does not take this particular peculiarity into account. Compare this to software that needs to work only on very specific proprietary hardware -- it can work around any peculiarities of that hardware.

"Most problems are often reported for Windows only" -- there are a lot more Windows desktop/laptop computers in use in this world than Apple ones.Even if amount of problems per Apple and Windows computer is the same, we will her a lot more from Windows users than from Mac users.

I'm glad Midi-Ox helped! Let's leave this Mac vs. Windows discussion where it is now, and get back to our beloved Sub37's ;)

/Peter

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:48 pm

kvitekp wrote:
I'm glad Midi-Ox helped! Let's leave this Mac vs. Windows discussion where it is now, and get back to our beloved Sub37's ;)

/Peter
Totally agreed :D and thanks for your advice.

dancard

Post by dancard » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:43 pm

Tried rebooting, and have nothing plugged into my MBP except 1 usb cable to Sub 37.

No other applications running except Sysex Librarian.

Ran transfer at 50% speed, as suggested. Still fails at the same point in step 4.

Currently, all LEDS are on, screen is blank, and ARP RATE and MIDI LEDs blink together quickly.

AMOS, IF YOU'RE OUT THERE, PLEASE HELP! :?: :?: :?:

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:45 pm

dancard wrote:Tried rebooting, and have nothing plugged into my MBP except 1 usb cable to Sub 37.

No other applications running except Sysex Librarian.

Ran transfer at 50% speed, as suggested. Still fails at the same point in step 4.

Currently, all LEDS are on, screen is blank, and ARP RATE and MIDI LEDs blink together quickly.

AMOS, IF YOU'RE OUT THERE, PLEASE HELP! :?: :?: :?:
Don't know if this might help. But if you are on a PC like me, you may try this.:

For each of the four files I:
1) start the SysEx tool from scratch
2) check the midi-port to be correct
3) send the dedicated file to the Sub37
4) after this has been done, I exit the SysEx tool and return to step 1)

Before I followed this procedure I had hang-ups - now it seems to work. I guess there is some "buffer"-issue around that get's killed after exit.

Good luck.

dancard

Post by dancard » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:35 pm

I'm on a Mac. OSX 10.7

Padbangers

Post by Padbangers » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm on Yosemite and the update fails all the time.

Now all lights are lid up and the display stays white.

No matter with what tool, what speed or what usb port I'm using. I can't get it to accept even the first file.
Sometimes the red midi light blinks while sending but it doesn't change anything.

I completed the process now 4 times from the beginning...

Anybody can help out? this is really frustrating...

Updating 1.04 worked just fine so I don't know what's going on here

RK81

Post by RK81 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:42 pm

I'm having the same issue.

I succeeded in updating to 1.0.4 with Elektron C6, but now the 4th step fails.
The midi light blinks twice, then nothing till the transfer is done.

All my LEDs are on, and the screen remains blank.
I can't reinstall the 1.0.4 now either.

I've tried the MIDI-Ox as well...but I can't figure out how to do 50% transfer speed.

I've tried my laptop and my desktop, different USB cables, as well as different ports.

Can I please go home and have my sub 37 magically work, please?
*sheds a tear*

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:24 am

Just a general question ...

is there something like a "reset-button" on the Sub37 ... like, hold down "key-what-ever-the-combi-might-be" at "power on"? ... And this would get us back to accept any of the "step-1" SysEx-Files, regardless of problems encountered so far?

This would make me update my Sub37 with a much lighter heart!

dancard

Post by dancard » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:31 pm

So, it appears that there is no workaround for my situation.

I need to send my Sub37 back to Moog to replace a faulty component in the panel. :(