Picked up AniMoog - Thinking of selling my hardware

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
XAXAU

Picked up AniMoog - Thinking of selling my hardware

Post by XAXAU » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:00 am

Yup! It sounds magnificent, easy to program, wide palette of timbres, fits in my man-purse or pocket, wireless / bluetooth audio and midi, polyphony, cool delay, unison, crusher, drives and the general movement capable in this thing is bananas.

I´ve had a Slim Phatty and Sub Phatty and I sold those cause they were too annoying to program. Menu diving is a major buzzkill for me as I´m so used to having access to any parameter from programming soft synths and such. I also had a Prophet 08 PE but it wasn´t enough. I now have a Minitaur and a Sub 37 and even if they both soon will have VST´s the AniMoog kicks their asses. Ok, analog is analog and the blending of signals and the saturation is something digital can´t do but I feel that they are very overpriced for what you get. I know they´re boutique gear but at the end of the day it´s all about workflow and performance.

The sound that is coming out of soft synths these days are amazing. And if you couple that with the programmability on an iPad you have a winning concept. I got AniMoog for my iPhone as well and now I don´t read magazines or check facebook anymore while riding a bus or taking a dump! :lol:

Anyone else?

Disarm D'arcy

Re: Picked up AniMoog - Thinking of selling my hardware

Post by Disarm D'arcy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:24 am

Not to the point of selling my Little Phatty and Microkorg, but yeah, i really do love Animoog.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:29 pm

XAXAU wrote:too annoying to program.
With MAX or Bomes Midi Translator or any other programmable software/hardware you can easily access all menu parameters from a midi controller or laptop. Ten times more efficient when sculpting sounds. I use it all the time when programming my two slim phatties. I highly recommend it.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Animoog is cool, no doubt ~
But I look as it as a way to supplement my Moog hardware, not replace it!
(Especially now that half of my Moog gear is no longer in production, and in my mind that makes it "collectors" status... :cry: )

Since you have an iPad, why not combine it with the Slim and take advantage of direct access to the "behind the scenes" settings?
I use MIDI Designer on the iPad, and developed this:

http://mididesigner.com/qa/1910

Works great for Little & Slim Phatty!

Randy
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Having AniMoog and having played with it for a while, I almost couldn't understand a thing about it. It always produced a sound that I didn't ask for in ways I didn't have a clue how it did it (I must be getting old but I'm only 50 ?)...
I've also bought the Korg iMS20 for iPad and tried it for a while too, and although I understood that one almost completely (still has some convoluted hidden additional features) it left me bored.
I really despise anything done on a computer screen for creating music. Yuk ! I only use Audacity to record my multi-track music and don't even use any of its on-board sophisticated features and effects. Give me something substantial, something real, real knobs and switches, a well defined layout on a panel, nothing hidden in any menu, one-knob-per-function is simply ideal. For me at least. Nothing will ever beat the hands-on experience. Not even 2D knobs on a flat touch screen, and certainly not a mouse to virtually move them on a computer display.

I'll keep my Minimoog D, Korg MP4, DW8000, Alesis Ion (yes this one has a screen, but it's 95% high resolution knob-per-function and has a flat non-layered menu system) thank you.

To each his, or her own I guess.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:08 pm

Thanks everyone!

The Minitaur has it´s own VST and the 37 will too before the end of the year and then they´ll be able to do all the things I wanna do with them. But then the problem is how do I justify spending $2000 on something I can sort of do on my iPad? It may not sound the same but with the in app upgrades on the AniMoog especially the "Model D" and the "Monster Moog" which are timbres and waves from old Moog stuff one can make things pretty darn convincing. Not that it needs too though!

http://animoog.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -Packs.png

I´m not sure what is going on under the hood of AniMoog but they say it´s not simply sampled waves being played back. Will have to do some more research.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:13 pm

It's called digital analog modelling, and it's been around for more than ten years now. :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:38 pm

Well my retarded diabetes doctor says that you must eat all the time to stoke the metabolic fire but that twisted half truth was debunked back in 1997. :D

Some people (like me) can be a bit slow sometimes.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:00 pm

Think nothing of it, we all have days like that... :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:24 pm

I'm going to wheel my modular into the bathroom now.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:08 am

Lol. Don't electrocute yourself. Wow, you must have a huge bathroom! How long is your poo poo train?! Can you make any flatulent patches like the ones in Animoog?

(Sorry, no coffee yet, couldn't resist a fart joke.)
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:15 am

Moog must´ve started a new type of movement called bathroom studio! :)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:29 am

I was really excited by Animoog when I saw the first demos, and even more when I tried it on a frien's iPad (I don't have any iPad. Well, technically, there is one at home now but it's not mine)
Animoog almost convinced me to convert myself into iPadism, getting good virtual synths, a DAW app, and an iDock.

But... for one I did not have the guts to spend money for this... and for two, I wouldn't have in any way sold a hardware synth for that.

Curiously enough, I had the guts to buy several hardware synths since so but, see, still no iPadism.

Nah, need to turn real knobs.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:29 am

http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:15 pm

Talking about the "hands on experience", I still prefer real flesh rather than settle for an inflatable doll...
:lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion