Rack compressor for synth?

Everything Phatty.
MoogProg

Re: Rack compressor for synth?

Post by MoogProg » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:49 pm

Disarm D'arcy wrote:
vinnyburns wrote:Dynacomp is a guitar compressor.
That doesn't mean it doesn't work on synthesizers and at a nice price point.

I recommended a couple guitar / bass pedal compressors a couple messages ago that I've had the chance to test out on synthesizer and the results are far from ridiculous.
^Agreed. But the range of situations a Sub37 might find itself inside is rather wide, so I'm really curious to hear more details about anyone's rig. (Also, Vinny is a known quantity and if we can get his rec we should all pay attention.)

Band Leader talked to me about the Little Phatty (they used to use) and its tendency to get crazy loud through certain PAs when using certain patches. (LOL Sounds like a Moog, right?) So, I threw a DynaComp on the board since I'm already running through 'stomp boxes' and not a rack system. I think it sounds vintage and thick at practice and I still have volume control on the swells.

I'm not treating the Sub37 like a Hi-Fi sound source. Personally, I'm extremely hesitant to revisit The Rack Era of the '80s/'90s and am about ready to kick the Hardwire Supernatural off the board because of its overly clean digital sound. Dislike playing ROMplers, and avoid computers when I'm off the clock. So, my choices have a strong personal bias to them.

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:57 pm

MoogProg wrote:^Vinny, what would you recommend for the OP's situation? Really would be interested in your opinion here. We know the goal is to limit the crazy peaks that might result from knob turning in a live situation. We don't know much about the music or venues, so maybe Hexism can tell us more about the particulars.

Hexism, sorry my rec didn't work as planned for you. I'm not experiencing the db drop you describe, but my rig is pretty guitar-like (described above), and that is my main instrument so "everything looks like a nail" to me.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think something like the Focusrite Compounder would be fine. You can pick them up cheap these days. As others have mentioned, Drawmer or DBX will be great too.
Dynacomp are a great compressor. I have a few in my studio. Terrible on bass but nice on guitar. The Keeley Compressor is nicer. They both have very limited headroom though and are noisy.

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:59 pm

To show that I do like effects pedals and I am not just a rack snob :-)
Here is what was in my studio a year or so ago before I started to sell some off to make more room.

ImageStudio Pedals by Vinny Burns, on Flickr

I do like pedals :-)

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:24 am

Pedals are super addictive, like trading cards or something.

Have you used the Big Muff on synths before? I have the Deluxe Bass Big Muff, makes me curious about the full range one.. Wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on the talk box also. :)

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:49 am

I have a lot of decent amps in my studio so if I ever put keys into anything, it is them. My favourite is a rare old Marshall combo called a Rock n Roll Baby (model 2150). It is basically a 100w Super Lead chassis in a tiny 1x12 combo :-) Perfect for the Wurlitzer into Marshall sound Van Halen used on the intro and verses of 'And The Cradle Will Rock'. Sounds so like a guitar until you listen closely.
I now also have the AxeFx XL here. One of the reason I started to get rid of most of the pedals. This wil cover a lot of ground and is much easier to setup and recall.

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:50 am

psynthetic wrote: Wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on the talk box also. :)
Never tried the keys through that. Bet that would sound really good. :-)

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:13 am

vinnyburns wrote:To show that I do like effects pedals and I am not just a rack snob :-)
Here is what was in my studio a year or so ago before I started to sell some off to make more room.

ImageStudio Pedals by Vinny Burns, on Flickr

I do like pedals :-)
I count four DynaComps in that glorious spread. Thanks for sharing!

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:25 pm

I count 5. :-)
Two on the bottom row, one on the second row (changed to metal knobs) and two in row above that :-)