Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Everything Sub.
MINILOGO

Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by MINILOGO » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:09 am

Hello.

I have a problem with the filter Knob. I send you a video where you can see how is working. If I am very delicate is not a problem, but if I push a little harder or up or down the sound behaves weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOejmdr ... e=youtu.be

I bought the unit in the USA, but i am living in Spain, so is very complicated to send it there. Of course is under warranty. Does any one know how to solve this or if this is normal????

Thank you.

Sorry for my english.

Control_Voltage

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by Control_Voltage » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi there,

Andy Hughes from the Moog Tech Lab here. I am very sorry to hear you are having problems with your Sub 37!

I will be happy to assist you in fixing this issue. I think the potentiometer for the Cutoff knob is bad and will need to be replaced.

Please contact me at 1-828-251-0090 xt 221 or by email [email protected] and we can discuss the best method for getting this fixed. It may be a bit tricky since you bought it in the USA, but now live in Spain. But we will figure out a solution.

Thanks,
Andy Hughes
Service Department Manager
Moog Music, Inc.

Chemishev

Post by Chemishev » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:05 am

I've got the same issue :( http://youtu.be/L7GHgQXIrFU

Marten

Post by Marten » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:45 pm

I've noted a similair problem on my Filter Knob. It is not extremely disturbing but still it skips something sometimes in the area between 500-1.2k. I have still not decided if its actually worth sending the machine over the atlantic.

Toom

Post by Toom » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:46 pm

I'm also getting this issue now too. I will contact Andy to see what is the best way to solve this problem. It just showed up out of nowhere, but now the cutoff at 500-1.2 is also intermittently cutting off and is not smooth.

SonicVI

Post by SonicVI » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:29 am

I've been experiencing similar behavior. I can even get the sound to completely stop with the pot at noon. I'm guessing it a physical problem with the pot.

Sal Ban

Post by Sal Ban » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:32 pm

I am also experiencing this problem. Out of nowhere this just happened. The unit is only standing at its place in my studio and is also covered agains dust etc ... I had the same problem with the Sub Phatty and even replacements never helped. This is very disappointing.

Toom

Post by Toom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:22 pm

Is this a problem with the potentiometer fabrication? I currently have the same issue and I'm worried that if I pay to replace it, it'll only come back again.

I didn't even play much with it when it was working, so that's not a good sign.

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:59 pm

I'm guessing this must have been a bad batch with the potentiometer thing. I had the same problem about a month after I got my Sub 37 and I was a bit pissed off. The good news is it was dealt with very promptly and professionally. Even when I'd had mine imported to the U.K from Poland, I had it picked up repaired and back to me within a week. I've not had any problems with it since, I was tempted to get a refund but I'm so glad I didn't as the synths incredible.

subq

Post by subq » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:11 pm

I just got mine back, sent it in for that exact same issue.

On a positive note, MOOG support was excellent (even if I did have to email for a status update at one point).

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:49 am

i have just suddenly had this problem also! it is very wierd.

i wander if a whole batch of these pots are faulty. is this same pot used for other pots on the Sub 37? i wander if its a unique pot, because it is certainly a unique sized knob for it....

hugo4711

Post by hugo4711 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:24 pm

Is it 'normal' for the filter knob to be pushable up and/or left/right like what can be seen in the video? I am asking because my filter knob is movable like that, but without any effect to the sound. I hope it stays that way...

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:09 am

no its not normal. and my filter knob did not start out with that kind of possible movement when i first took ownership of the Sub37. but now it behaves like the video. hugo i would say youre weeks or days away from seeing bigger problems also.

i personally think the pot is probably the same 10k pot as all the others on the Sub37. but because the knob sitting on top of it is bigger and wider, i think it puts extra sideways pressure on the pot that it wasnt exactly prepared for...and it cant handle. It probably should have been a higher quality pot if a bigger knob was planned to be attached to it. plus its the most fiddled-with knob on the whole synth that gets the most attention that tends to be hung-onto and swung from like a monkey from a tree limb in a live performance...that might have something to do with its failure rate as well. it was a knob that always going to see the most action.

it probably should have been a $2 pot instead of a $1 pot for such a special knob...now it might be coming back to bite the design team on the ass it seems...lucky for us that Moog is such an awsome company with a great customer support that im sure we will all be looked after...

subq

Post by subq » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:04 am

Blackout wrote:plus its the most fiddled-with knob on the whole synth that gets the most attention that tends to be hung-onto and swung from like a monkey from a tree limb in a live performance...that might have something to do with its failure rate as well. it was a knob that always going to see the most action.

true but my sub37 never left the studio and the knobs didn't get a ton of use either as mostly modulate things...however, my sub still developed the problem...I did get one out of the first released batch though so maybe that had something to do with it

hugo4711

Post by hugo4711 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:03 am

Oh well... My Sub 37 only arrived about a week ago, manufactured in Nov '14, Serial Number 28xx ...

Also I have some spring noise on three of the keys (low C, D, middle B), sounds like a click when the key is pressed and can be heard when everything is quiet. Anyone got this also?

Seems to be time to get in contact with Moog support I guess. :?