Change 37's Display to LEDs's Color

Everything Sub.
_DemonDan_

Change 37's Display to LEDs's Color

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:04 pm

I've mentioned this in several posts but I figured it'd be easier for Sub 37 owners to find if it had its own topic:

Get some dark Orange gel (the kind they use for colored stage lights), cut it to the size of the display screen, and use a tiny bit of double-sided tape on its outer edges to affix it to the screen. Four ultra-tiny dots of Elmer's Glue will also work; just let it cure a while so it doesn't smear.

If you use this color gel:

https://portlighting.com/product/apollo ... r-21-x-24/

the end result will be that the light blue display will become almost exactly the same color as the LEDs.

The result is stunning and... you'll finally be able to program in the dark (which is how I always program my Sub 37).

Pretty much any color will help reduce the brightness. You can also get interesting results from Reds, Blues, and Purples if you're not trying to match the other light sources on the panel.

Try to get your hands on a gel swatch book. It has dozens of colors to choose from and the swatches are slightly larger than the display screen. You can also mix-and-match to get interesting display colors.

You may find yourself changing the colors of all of your keyboards and gear displays.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apollo-Gel-20-x ... 0316234369

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

http://www.stagelightingstore.com/Rosco ... n=products
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Bald Eagle

Re: Change 37's Display to LEDs's Color

Post by Bald Eagle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:54 am

Well ... took your advice ... ordered from the link ...
$5.50 for the part
$12.00 for the cheapest shipping

There must be a cheaper way but regardless ... will post back on results when it arrives
Thanks

HicoMe

Post by HicoMe » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:11 am

I would look for firms, which lend PA- and Light-systems. I think they will give you a little cutting for a small amount of money or maybe for nothing.

Regards
Heiko
My current Moogs: Sub 37
My former Moogs: Minimoog Model D, heavily selfmodified Prodigy, Satellite, Etherwave Theremin

bartleby

Post by bartleby » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:45 am

@_DemonDan_: so you're suggesting to affix that gel to the outside of the display cover? wouldn't it look nicer and be more stable if you put it inside that little plastic window in front of the display?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:26 am

bartleby wrote:@_DemonDan_: So you're suggesting to affix that gel to the outside of the display cover? Wouldn't it look nicer and be more stable if you put it inside that little plastic window in front of the display?
It certainly might... but I'm not going to be the guy who tells you to open up your Sub 37 ;-)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:15 pm

So far the 'dark orange' from this kit looks like it will do the job on the display

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J ... ge_o02_s00

still awaiting some other gel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ge_o03_s00

I have noticed though light-leakage from around the three push buttons below the display so might consider cutting the gel to go around these three buttons… what I could do with is a dimensioned drawing of that corner of the Sub37 panel :D

R.

egg

Post by egg » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:30 am

Seriously, don't use gels and tape/glue. Will look so nasty.
Mentioned this before but translucent vinyl is what you'll want. if you go to a signage shop and they have any of the colour you want (Yellow i'm assuming) they will give it to you.

In fact I will do it and take a pic later to show.

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:17 am

Hi egg

I assume the vinyl has an adhesive backing?

R.

egg

Post by egg » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:16 am

yeah exactly. It's stuff that is used for lightbox signage and stuff like fake stained glass windows.
I have some right in front of me now and when I get home i'll stick it on and see how it looks.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:53 am

Come on guys! I have no Sub37 here but I'm monitoring this thread to see one of those with a coloured screen.

Post a picture, que diable! :)

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:17 am

Well…. both the films I bought work. I now have a large sheet of

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ge_o03_s00

..with a small rectangle cut out :D

So far I have not stuck down the film as I want to pursue egg's suggestion but the colour of the display now pretty much matches, or is slightly darker than the leds.

I'll try and take a photo that does it justice later

R.

egg

Post by egg » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:42 am

Here you go.

This is two layers and although the flash makes it look duller, in reality it's as bright as it was before the film was on. You could put another layer or two on to make the yellow shade darker to match better but I couldn't be bothered as I quite like the display as it is so removed the vinyl. It is a shame about the light leak around the buttons below but you may be able to open it up and tuck the vinyl from the bottom of the display down and act as a shade for the light created below the face plate.

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:45 am

Thanks for the photo egg, that looks very good. I am going to try and see how I feel about my gel approach once I have stuck a piece down and if I don't like it I will go with your sticky back vinyl technique. I'd like to try and stop the light leakage around the three buttons too.

I have a load of Deep Orange gel left if anyone in the UK wants to try a piece, about the size of a 'Swan Vesta' matchbox should be enough.

Just DM me an address and I'll post you a bit :D

R.

egg

Post by egg » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:34 am

Or likewise. If you want a bit of this vinyl Rufus i'll gladly post some to you seeing as you're UK based. PM your Address