Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Everything Sub.
kvitekp

Re: Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Post by kvitekp » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Excellent wish list, JazzMasta!

The only extra thing i'd like to add: implement a slight hysteresis to dampen character change sensitivity when naming patches during save... currently selecting desired character is way too involved.

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

arjanhoekstra

Post by arjanhoekstra » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:17 pm

gencomprodukts wrote:
bartleby wrote:also, i think it would be nice if in the arp/seq section, the 'back/forth' button would also work for the sequence, not just for the arpeggiator.
Great idea! + having shuffle would be pretty cool.
+1 on these suggestions

Marten

Post by Marten » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:19 pm

Don't know if this have been posted already but I really would have liked:

1. White noise - the pink noise simply doesn't do it for me. It's far too brutish for me and you miss out on all those smooth windy sounds. (Suspect this is hardware though, and not software)

2. I would have loved if the trig mode of the seq could have been patch-based, and not as now (I think) a global setting - so that I can choose from patch to patch if the seq should re-trig on kb or not.

3. Also I would have loved if the seq could have been set not to trig the oscillators, but have the ability to rout directly to filter or other parameters.

4. Display light, would have been nice to be able to dim - alot. It is almost blinding in a dark room.

5. Also the frenetic tempo-diod would have been nice to be able to "kill" in some way :)

cheers!
Marten :)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:49 pm

Marten wrote:4. Display light, would have been nice to be able to dim - a lot.
It is almost blinding in a dark room.
Hi Marten,

Get some dark Orange gel (the kind they use for colored stage lights), cut it to the size of the display screen, and use a tiny bit of double-sided tape on its outer edges to affix it to the screen. Four ultra-tiny dots of Elmer's Glue will also work; just let it cure a while so it doesn't smear.

If you get just the right shade of dark orange (like dark pumpkin skin), the end result will be that the light blue display will become exactly the same color as the LEDs.

The result is stunning and... you'll finally be able to program in the dark (which is how I always program my Sub 37).
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Marten

Post by Marten » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:47 am

That's a great idea! No .. not really, just kiddin ;)

No.6 - It wuold have been great if the "High range" button on the LFO's actually had a third function - say a second push - that would allow the LFO for even slower oscillations.

Both the LFO and the Envelopes are a bit "short" on the machine - I would have loved longer oscillation and attack/decay times.

/Marten

_DemonDan_ wrote:
Marten wrote:4. Display light, would have been nice to be able to dim - a lot.
It is almost blinding in a dark room.
Hi Marten,

Get some dark Orange gel (the kind they use for colored stage lights), cut it to the size of the display screen, and use a tiny bit of double-sided tape on its outer edges to affix it to the screen. Four ultra-tiny dots of Elmer's Glue will also work; just let it cure a while so it doesn't smear.

If you get just the right shade of dark orange (like dark pumpkin skin), the end result will be that the light blue display will become exactly the same color as the LEDs.

The result is stunning and... you'll finally be able to program in the dark (which is how I always program my Sub 37).

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:02 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:Get some dark Orange gel (the kind they use for colored stage lights), cut it to the size of the display screen, and use a tiny bit of double-sided tape on its outer edges to affix it to the screen... If you get just the right shade of dark orange the end result will be that the light blue display will become exactly the same color as the LEDs. The result is stunning and... you'll finally be able to program in the dark.
Marten wrote:That's a great idea! No .. not really, just kiddin ;) /Marten
Did you actually try it? (Any color gel will work to get the brightness down.)

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Marten wrote:Don't know if this have been posted already but I really would have liked:

4. Display light, would have been nice to be able to dim - alot. It is almost blinding in a dark room.

cheers!
Marten :)
The display is without question far too bright, the one and ONLY disappointing thing about my Sub 37 is that the display is junk and worse than many discount bin calculators, seriously. I would actually replace it if that was possible. It would probably not look as obviously cheap if it was not so bright. Other than that I am beyond impressed and absolutely delighted every single time I use it. Cheap screen aside, it is a Masterpiece.
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:41 pm

I am buying some of this stuff:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gel-Sheet-Deep- ... filter+gel

R.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks… I'll see if I can find an equivalent in the UK

Edit : Found this from a stage lighting company …

http://www.stage-electrics.co.uk/shop/s ... e=507-3566

or this

http://www.stagedepot.co.uk/lighting-ge ... -gel-sheet

R.

lushr

Post by lushr » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:36 pm

You might get a slightly purple effect...

I'm trying yo remember my stage lighting days and what colour to go to counteract the blue shade... But I really can't remember... I guess it might just end up a bit browner then expected?

http://www.onstagelighting.co.uk/led-st ... rossfades/

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:11 pm

You can do it with formulas or, you can do it the brute force way like I did.

I just kept trying dozens of various orange gels until it was exactly right.

So far, the winner continues to be the Golden Amber AP7450:

https://portlighting.com/product-catego ... rby=rating

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:45 pm

My 0.01 cents:

1. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have single shot LFOs ? This would add AR envelopes useful for those fast pitch transients necessary for brass sounds simulation and lots of other things. Extra entry in CONTROLLERS or PRESET EDIT menu would do it, on/off.

2. LFO fade in also would be quite useful. Also as an entry in CONTROLLERS or PRESET EDIT menu.

3. ARP's LATCH button could act as KEY HOLD if pressed when arp/seq is not running.

Best,
/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:49 pm

kvitekp wrote:My 0.01 cents:

1. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have single shot LFOs ? This would add AR envelopes useful for those fast pitch transients necessary for brass sounds simulation and lots of other things. Extra entry in CONTROLLERS or PRESET EDIT menu would do it, on/off.

2. LFO fade in also would be quite useful. Also as an entry in CONTROLLERS or PRESET EDIT menu.

3. ARP's LATCH button could act as KEY HOLD if pressed when arp/seq is not running.

Best,
/Peter
I am for LFO fade in too…. for delayed vibrato without having to dedicate the mod wheel

R.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:02 pm

kvitekp wrote:ARP's LATCH button could act as KEY HOLD if pressed when arp/seq is not running.
Hi Peter,

You pretty much already have KEY HOLD.

Just press LATCH on both the FILTER and AMP EGs and your key is effectively held.