Landmark 50th Anniversary of the Moog Modular

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MC

Landmark 50th Anniversary of the Moog Modular

Post by MC » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:01 pm

http://www.moogmusic.com/news/landmark- ... og-modular

"Of the 5 Emerson Moog Modular Systems Moog will build, only 1 remains available for sale. The price is $150,000 USD."

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

DonutDude

Re: Landmark 50th Anniversary of the Moog Modular

Post by DonutDude » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:12 pm

What type of financing is available? I can probably swing $20.00 a month for the rest of my life. :)

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Anyone need a kidney or a ball? Actually only the left ball.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:54 pm

How about a lung, anyone ? Mine is like new and smoke-free ! Or maybe an eye ? (after all, Peter Falk and Sammy Davis Jr managed to get by with only one really well.)
(P.S. All sales are final, no refunds)
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:31 am

While it's wishful thinking for a system like that to land on one's doorstep (and then have to figure out how to move it), quite a few, well maybe not lots, but some people have built systems that size a few modules at a time. While certain very certain aspects of this system are unique to Emerson's specific modules, a lot of it isn't and who knows, maybe Moog Music will make those available now that they've put the time into figuring out how to replicate them.

Which also gets me thinking how interesting and educational it would be if Moog Music explores the details deeper or even simply open a thread somewhere for questions (unless they already have and I've not run into it).

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:40 am

I don't think they would have hired that guy with the mustache unless they had plans outside of the five. I'm not saying he is not good at what he does or denying that he is most familiar with Emerson's setup (especially the history of it and the 'fake' modules) but he could have been brought on for a limited engagement; instead he is introduced as a full fledge employee.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Model 10 or a model 15 for sale at some point in the future. Individual modules are possibly a long shot due to the mounting, power, connector and tech support issues but a smaller, full (and closed) system might be $5K-$10K in future.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:36 am

Before modusonics went kaput, it was about $55k for a NOS system 55 (I can show you an itemized 2007 pricelist for each module). He was seriously lining his pockets. The Emerson modular doesn't have twice the modules inside it to justify the $150k, but then again they have other costs associated with that that MB didn't have.

It just saddens me a little bit that (as of now) if one wants a NOS Moog modular they have/had to buy what amounts to TONTO rather than spreading that goodness around in smaller systems.

I would be happy with a simple but complete NOS Moog voice.

At this point I just hope they continue what they started, because, as people have said, it further legitimizes the cottage industry.\

MB's System 15 was over $14k with just 8k of that in modules alone.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:35 pm

If it's true that only five such systems will be built, and that four of them are already sold at $150K a piece, it can only be good news for Moog Music to add to the income.

However, if the project stops after that fifth one gets sold, and nothing else follows, it will have been an exercise in futility available only to a few rich people. I sincerely hope not.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:05 pm

thealien666 wrote:If it's true that only five such systems will be built, and that four of them are already sold at $150K a piece, it can only be good news for Moog Music to add to the income.

However, if the project stops after that fifth one gets sold, and nothing else follows, it will have been an exercise in futility available only to a few rich people. I sincerely hope not.
+1

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:26 am

For what it's worth, I wrote above that it had 11 oscs when it has 7 and one droning osc. So forgive me on that.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:30 am

EricK wrote:For what it's worth, I wrote above that it had 11 oscs when it has 7 and one droning osc. So forgive me on that.
ah, in that case i'll let it pass this time, certainly need 11 osc :D

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:36 am

EricK wrote:For what it's worth, I wrote above that it had 11 oscs when it has 7 and one droning osc. So forgive me on that.
Is that including LFO's...?

Cheers,
Tom

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:29 pm

No it would be 11 counting the LFOs and the drone. :)

Moog has a "Modulars" tab on their product page so that is a good sign.

And I still think that this modular announcement tops Moog's competitors.

luckynerd

Post by luckynerd » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:55 pm

Those Emerson clones make me sad. What a waste to cater to rich people when there are so many people out there who would have loved to have bought the one (or two or three) modules they've been wanting for eons. :roll: :|
Learn To Fix

Moog T1 Pedal Contact Board Upgrade: http://www.minimoog.net/daphne/moog-tau ... act-board/