Multipedal + Moogerfoogers as a Mono Synth

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
BrufordRules

Multipedal + Moogerfoogers as a Mono Synth

Post by BrufordRules » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:50 am

Hi all,

I would like to 'build' a mono synth only using the Multipedal and some Moogerfoogers I have but I don't want to use any of my synths (Slim Phatty or Sub 37) in the chain.

I use MP-201 preset 34 as a MIDI-to-CV converter. The CV 1 output goes to the Frequency input of the FreqBox and the Oscillator output to an Attenuator of the CP-251. If I set the CV Scale to 1.017 in the Multipedal, and the Frequency knob to 6 in the FreqBox, I got a perfect tracking for 5 octaves; from C1 (MIDI Note #24) to C6 (MIDI Note #84), which is great! In my experience, It's important to leave the FreqBox warming up no less than 45 minutes to reach this pitch stability.

Then I can route this signal to the MF-101 Filter or other Moogerfooger. But the problem is that I need a Gate/Envelope Amplifier to mute the sound when a Note Off message is sent. Now, the oscillator is sounding all the time. I thought that if a slow sine as LFO can modulate the audio signal in the MF-102 Ring Modulator and get a tremolo effect, then if I replace this sine with an ADSR envelope from my Multipedal I could get an amplifier envelope. So I connected the envelope output of the Multipedal to the Carrier input of the Ring Modulator but it didn't work as I expected, because it modulates the amplitude AND the pitch of the FreqBox oscillator, so the audio is out of tune.

Do you have any clue how could I solve this problem?

Thank you so much in advance.

Alex

GregAE

Re: Multipedal + Moogerfoogers as a Mono Synth

Post by GregAE » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:16 am

Hi Alex,

Take a look at my 'Lord of The Ring Modulator' article on KnobTweak. A description of using the Ring Modulator as a VCA appears on page 9.
Should answer your questions and get you closer to your goal.

Find it here:

KnobTweak > files > Moogerfoogers > MF-102 Ring Modulator > Lord of the Ring Mod - 2009.pdf

- Greg

BrufordRules

Post by BrufordRules » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Thank you so much Greg!

The trick as you comment in the point 5 'Ring Mod as VCA' is to attenuate the envelope before connecting it to the Carrier input. I still got a weak signal from the oscillator but I think is the closer I can go without using a noise gate stomp box or something like that.

Really cool stuff in the PDF. I really do appreciate your work.

deadhedgehog

Post by deadhedgehog » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:33 pm

Looking at the LOTRM article, I was wondering how to duplicate the setup in sections 4 and 5 using a Little Phatty with CV out and a CP251 instead of a voyager mix/out loop? What would be the LP workaround?

Have worked through the other examples and it has been very informative, thanks

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:32 pm

Minifooger Boost will work - it accepts a CV and worked well for me after the VCO.

You may be able to trick the VCA of the freqbox by feeding the audio input a gate CV. Use the audio out with the mix at 10, tracking off since you are using pitch CV. You may be able to use the mix section of another fooger to get close as well. Maybe even freqbox, with the OSC out into the audio in, gate to mix CV. The trick is to have the MP-201 send two envelopes - filter and audio as you know. I'm not sure how that works since I don't have one...

Aside from that, out of the Moog realm I would suggest DIY.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:39 am

I use the filter as a softer VCA a lot in the MoogerFooger realm. You send a trigger (from your keyboard, LFO or sequencer) into the lag generator to make an envelope and send that envelope CV to control the cutoff of the filter.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.