moog-esque sounds!! help please!!!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
klaus

moog-esque sounds!! help please!!!!

Post by klaus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:20 pm

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone could make a patch or help me figure out to emmulate some moog prodigy sounds on my microkorg. Something like reggie and the full effects "what's wrong" or anything off "the greatest hits 84-87" album. Any kind of help to get the moog prodigy sound would be awesome. Thanks guys. :evil:
If you're gonna wear the uniform you gotta sell the cookies

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:00 am

This might sound crazy, but how about selling your Korg and buying a Prodigy instead?

klaus

Post by klaus » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:25 am

I hear that, but I'd be to worried about the prodigy getting busted while playing out/touring. If the microkorg gets busted up I can get another one for cheap...not so easy with the prodigy though I'd love to have one. I've heard though that a bunch of bands record and use moogs but tour with the microkorg so I know its possible to get the similar sound....just gotta figure out how....
If you're gonna wear the uniform you gotta sell the cookies

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:45 am

I see what you mean. Its going to be pretty hard to reproduce those sounds, especially with the weird editing system. You could try over at Korg's forum for advice etc.

I did try a microKORG at a music shop round the corner from me. It looked great, but I just couldn't play those tiny keys, and wasn't used to the editing system. There was no point trying to put it in my pocket and walk out without paying for it!

In this situation, I'd seriously consider getting a Moog Prodigy. You'll lose patch storage, midi, polyphony, half an octave of keys etc, but you'll easily get that Moog sound, and ease of editing.

I reckon for less of the price of a new microKORG you could get a decent Prodigy. And get a case for it as well. They seem pretty reliable and could easily survive gigging, unlike my Polymoog which you can easily damage by moving it an inch! :D

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:03 pm

why bother trying to recreate old sounds? make new ones! explore the instrument you're lucky enough to own, and make cool sounds - noone in the audience is gonna be like, "ah, his sound isn't like a moog" - use effects and your own ingenuity and make sounds of your own, and the audience will respond in kind...

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:15 pm

Boeing 737-400 wrote: I reckon for less of the price of a new microKORG you could get a decent Prodigy. And get a case for it as well. They seem pretty reliable and could easily survive gigging, unlike my Polymoog which you can easily damage by moving it an inch! :D
I wanna know WHERE YOU ARE SHOPPING???.....DAMN!
A prodigy for less than $400? oh snap....I haven't seen them that cheap in years.....
The music industry is just eating up the Prodigy these days...everyone wants one.....I haven't even seen a decent one go for less then $600 on ebay in awhile. Even the MG-1 is going for around $400 recently..... Analogs are the hot Thang!

Want to sell me yours, i'll give you $500 for it? hehe....I'm just messing with ya!

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:53 pm

I'm going by UK prices, and yes, you can pick up Prodigys for less than £400 on ebay. One signed by Howard Jones went a few weeks ago for just £350!

And has anyone got to the bottom of why the microKORG is so expensive here in the UK? Its selling for £500!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:11 pm

I believe if you want the sound of a Moog you need to get a Moog. If you can't afford a Moog then perhaps the Ion. It can be kind of Moogy. Or how about the Arturia soft synths? The MicroKorg is a nice little synth but, the Microkorg just isn't Moogy. You're best bet is to get a Voyager.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:23 pm

MarkM wrote:I believe if you want the sound of a Moog you need to get a Moog. If you can't afford a Moog then perhaps the Ion. It can be kind of Moogy. Or how about the Arturia soft synths? The MicroKorg is a nice little synth but, the Microkorg just isn't Moogy. You're best bet is to get a Voyager.
There are other analouges that are still quite budget. VAs and SoftSynths, while cool, won't really sound moogy, because the moog sound is VERY analouge.
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:14 pm

Boeing 737-400 wrote:I'm going by UK prices, and yes, you can pick up Prodigys for less than £400 on ebay. One signed by Howard Jones went a few weeks ago for just £350!

And has anyone got to the bottom of why the microKORG is so expensive here in the UK? Its selling for £500!
Holy crap....that explains it....POUNDS!
My apologies, I thought we were speaking about the states....

That is a strange phenomenon....do you find more people in the UK are ordering MicroKorgs through ebay then? I bet you could save a bundle that way!

museslave

Post by museslave » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:07 pm

You know, there really isn't anything about the Prodigy that gives it a sound unique, distinctive, or recognizeable (specially in a band context) to make it worthy of pursuance. I'm sure it's a fine synth, and of course, it has a Moog filter... worthy of having and using... but not worthy of worship. The Prodigy and the Rogue, which are the most popular to people trying to get the Mini sound (and failing, unfortunately), came out when Moog was on the decline, and building their synths out of crap. They are cheaply made cheap synths. They have a bizarre hype surrounding them that is more about them being affordable Moogs than about actually having a distinctive sound.
Apart from the "Moog sound" generated by the Moog filter, this is just a low end synthesizer... any synth that can function like a standard analog synth will sound like it... and if you want the Moog filter sound, get a MoogerFooger low-pass filter... POW... immediate Moog sound.
I would take a one-osc Micromoog over the Prodigy any day... that one oscillator does not outweigh the superior sound, modulation functionality and design of the Micromoog.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:28 pm

museslave wrote:You know, there really isn't anything about the Prodigy that gives it a sound unique, distinctive, or recognizeable (specially in a band context) to make it worthy of pursuance.
I'm sure it's a fine synth, and of course, it has a Moog filter... worthy of having and using... but not worthy of worship.
Well maybe not worship but I can see that this person just can't get a sound with a fake korg that a prodigy can make easily. I've played them and imho the virtual filters just don't come anywhere near a Moog sound. The advice of getting a virtual synth that actually is trying to sound like a Moog isn't a bad idea if the goal is to gig with it. Maybe that Creamware virtual Minimoog thing?
museslave wrote: The Prodigy and the Rogue, which are the most popular to people trying to get the Mini sound (and failing, unfortunately), came out when Moog was on the decline, and building their synths out of crap. They are cheaply made cheap synths. They have a bizarre hype surrounding them that is more about them being affordable Moogs than about actually having a distinctive sound.
I agree, but they were then and still are much cheaper than a mini. Though so many bands used prodigys, rogues, sources etc. that you can't say for sure that they indeed were tyring to get a minimoog sound per se.
museslave wrote:Apart from the "Moog sound" generated by the Moog filter, this is just a low end synthesizer... any synth that can function like a standard analog synth will sound like it... and if you want the Moog filter sound, get a MoogerFooger low-pass filter... POW... immediate Moog sound.
An imediate more or less cool sound yes - but until you drive that filter pedal with keyboard and envelope voltage it's not going to sound like a synth with a moog filter in it it's going to sound like someone's putting external audio signal through a moog filter, it's just not going to have the same dynamic sound at all.
museslave wrote:I would take a one-osc Micromoog over the Prodigy any day... that one oscillator does not outweigh the superior sound, modulation functionality and design of the Micromoog.
While the Micromoog is a cool little synth, it's a really bad substitution for a prodigy/rogue/mg-1 etc. because the filter is one of the furthest from the "Moog" sound (though it might likely do a much better job than a fake Korg) and as you say, it doesn't have the two osc sound. I mean if you don't really care if it doesn't sound much like you were going after why not spend even less money for even more modulation with some other more or less vintage synth like a waldorf pulse or something. But of course people want a particular sound and you can only come to a given point with something else. Making a sound vaguely like it "with more flexibility" sounds great unless you just want to make those certain sounds you really want to make.

this_poison

Post by this_poison » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:29 am

I've owned and played many analogs and VAs and know which I prefer, but to be fair to the original question, if it's live through a typical small venue or band-owned PA or backline then you can get resonable simulations of the best analogs with most VAs.

The user interface on the MicroKorg is great for tweaking, but pretty poor for programming, so whilst I agree with creating from scratch on say a Voyager or even a Supenova or Nord, it's nasty on the Korg.

There are a lot of Korg patches on the net, so the easiest thing is to download as many as you can find, turn off the effects (which are the all-swamping basis for too many MicroKorg presets) and find something close enough to tweak.

It's a chore, but may yield the sounds you want.

Best thing about the MicroKorg is its size - I brought one back from Boston to the UK in a suitcase - $299 well spent !

:D

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:51 pm

The effects!!! I hate them! I swear, every preset on that thing is just drenched in delay. That's not what a synth is about.
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:55 am

endocrine wrote:The effects!!! I hate them! I swear, every preset on that thing is just drenched in delay. That's not what a synth is about.
-Tyler2000-

On the subject, what is everyone's favorite type of effect to put their synth through? .....I'm talking generic effects here, not brand specific.