Anyone else brick their Sub37 with firmware 1.0.2?

Everything Sub.
joe_moog

Re: Anyone else brick their Sub37 with firmware 1.0.2?

Post by joe_moog » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:46 pm

FIXED . . .

I noticed mmarsh100's comment about reducing xmission speed to 47% (37 + 10...makes total sense, lol) and so I did the same. Then in step 3, the MIDI actually flashed red the whole time and it rebooted when finished.

LONGEST 789.7 KB TRANSMISSION EVAAAAAAR... :lol:

Thanks Amos for posting more detailed instructions, (the other) Joe for offering to help via phone, Dan for the suggestion to use SysEx Lib and, mmarsh100 for the magic number of 47%!
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

JonLukas

Post by JonLukas » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:01 am

I should have also mentioned that I, too, lowered the transfer rate when doing my successful update (75%).
Pianoteq, Guda KickR, Drumaxx, Diva, Pigments, Flow Motion, Kontakt, Omnisphere 2, StudioLogic SL73, MainStage, Logic Pro X.
Downtempo performed live: http://echofabric.com

ArtyMorty

Post by ArtyMorty » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:26 am

SysEx and the suggested settings worked for me too. Thanks guys.

Yogi108

Post by Yogi108 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:59 am

2.5 days and still no luck in my end. I believe the key issue on my end is the error message that comes up after step 2 (the panel erase file). Below is a bit of my last email with the Moog technical team. Any additional input or suggestions would be very much appreciated...

Since the initial error message appeared on the sub 37 (ERROR: Proc. Buff) it does not seem to matter if I turn the fine tune and cutoff knobs counterclockwise and hold the pitch wheel up while powering on the sub 37. What I mean by that is... The sub 37 seems to be in a permanent boot mode... When I turn off the sub 37 and then just switch it on it reads:
"FIRMWARE UPDATE.

Flash Erased
Ready for Code"

The important question or detail that may be an issue is: whether I turn the knocks and hold the pitch wheel while switching on the sub 37 or just switch on the sub 37, either way... I get the same "FIRMWARE UPDATE" screen as noted above...

The error message "ERROR: Proc. Buff" comes up after step 2... I even tried skipping step 2 and just going from step 1 to 3... Step 2 and three seem to be corrupt from my limited perspective. I've tried using C6 and Sysex librarian on two different macs with multiple usb cables. I had been able to do the firmware from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 without a hitch a couple of weeks back.

I've slowed down the transfer speed to 47% and even 10% to see if that would help... I can't think of much else I can do...

Patience is a virtue... Right??? Hehehe...

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:55 pm

@joe_moog: alright! Glad she's back :)

@yogi108: Patience, yeah, that helped me! One tip that Dan posted is to make double sure that your sysex librarian is pointed to the 37 before starting EACH file upload. Good luck!

beef

Post by beef » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:23 pm

Just to chime in with my experience, I have tried everything suggested in this post thus far, and I'm in the same position as Yogi.
Yogi108 wrote:2.5 days and still no luck in my end. I believe the key issue on my end is the error message that comes up after step 2 (the panel erase file). Below is a bit of my last email with the Moog technical team. Any additional input or suggestions would be very much appreciated...

Since the initial error message appeared on the sub 37 (ERROR: Proc. Buff) it does not seem to matter if I turn the fine tune and cutoff knobs counterclockwise and hold the pitch wheel up while powering on the sub 37. What I mean by that is... The sub 37 seems to be in a permanent boot mode... When I turn off the sub 37 and then just switch it on it reads:
"FIRMWARE UPDATE.

Flash Erased
Ready for Code"

The important question or detail that may be an issue is: whether I turn the knocks and hold the pitch wheel while switching on the sub 37 or just switch on the sub 37, either way... I get the same "FIRMWARE UPDATE" screen as noted above...

The error message "ERROR: Proc. Buff" comes up after step 2... I even tried skipping step 2 and just going from step 1 to 3... Step 2 and three seem to be corrupt from my limited perspective. I've tried using C6 and Sysex librarian on two different macs with multiple usb cables. I had been able to do the firmware from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 without a hitch a couple of weeks back.

I've slowed down the transfer speed to 47% and even 10% to see if that would help... I can't think of much else I can do...

Patience is a virtue... Right??? Hehehe...

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:44 am

Yogi108 wrote:Since the initial error message appeared on the sub 37 (ERROR: Proc. Buff) it does not seem to matter if I turn the fine tune and cutoff knobs counterclockwise and hold the pitch wheel up while powering on the sub 37. What I mean by that is... The sub 37 seems to be in a permanent boot mode...

The error message "ERROR: Proc. Buff" comes up after step 2...
OK, this error (Proc. Buff) is only generated by the main bootloader, and only when it receives the wrong file, meaning any file other than the main firmware. When you're in the main bootloader, you can only send "step 1" meaning the main firmware file.

There was a brief moment last week when Moog Music posted an incorrect firmware file to the website; in this version, Step 1 and Step 3.syx were misnamed (the real Step 1 file was named Step 3 and vice versa). This was taken offline quickly, but it's possible you downloaded this version and it's contributing to the trouble.

Here is a download of the latest firmware, which I have tested myself and I know that the update can complete successfully:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... _1_0_3.zip

Another piece of trouble-shooting: There was one customer last week who was having a similar problem with the update seeming to get stuck at the main bootloader/step 1/Proc. Buff error... in his case, he actually had a faulty pitch wheel which was acting like it was held in the up position even when it was not. Because his Fine Tune and Cutoff knobs were at minimum, this meant that when the Sub 37 rebooted after loading the main firmware, it booted back into the bootloader (which erases the main firmware) creating an endless loop. The solution was, after booting to the bootloader, move the Fine Tune and Cutoff knobs back to the middle of their range, before sending Step 1 / main firmware.

Try the above, using the files from my link, and let us know if there's any joy. You can also email me directly at amos at moog music dot com.

All the best,

Amos

beef

Post by beef » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:08 pm

I can confirm the pitch bend issue just described, as it just worked for me with the help of phone support. Just moving the cutoff and fine tune during the main update caused it to reboot properly. The rest was seamless at full transfer rate.

Excellent support. Thanks!

apesma

Post by apesma » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:54 pm

heya

I had the proc.buff problem after trying to install 102. I reinstalled the main install 101 and got back online.
now im trying to install the 103 updates but after I power on as instructed with fine tune, cutoff and pitch wheel instructions I get the flash erased message but when I try to send the 103 step 1 update nothing happens. the screen stays on the 'flash erased ready for code' message and there's no midi light action.
I've done the reinstall 101/ install 103 process several times with the same fail. also tried the pitch wheel trick to no avail.
help!

apesma

Post by apesma » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:27 pm

all good. I updated via a different computer and success was had...sweet

bartleby

Post by bartleby » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:40 am

Amos wrote:Here is a download of the latest firmware, which I have tested myself and I know that the update can complete successfully:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... _1_0_3.zip
ah, a new fw version to try!

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:04 am

apesma wrote:now im trying to install the 103 updates but after I power on as instructed with fine tune, cutoff and pitch wheel instructions I get the flash erased message but when I try to send the 103 step 1 update nothing happens.
An important note about the 1.0.3 update: please read the instructions, they have changed.

We removed the manual power-on step and replaced it with a sysex command which does the same thing.
This is why there are now four sysex files, "step1" through "step4".

Just power on your Sub 37 as normal... send the v1.0.3 step 1 file, and the Sub 37 will reboot to the bootloader and prepare to receive new firmware. When the LCD prompts to send code, send the step 2 sysex file. After reboot, (make sure sub 37 still selected as midi output device, and) send step 3... when LCD goes blank, send step 4.

We are working on an automatic update utility, to make all of this much easier. Bear with us with this multi-step sysex process until then. Thanks for your patience.

cheers,

Amos

lushr

Post by lushr » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:01 am

These updates are great Amos, it shows us that you're working on the issues, and we can see how thoughtful you are about it, how complex it really is.

I might wait till a oboe file uploaded of some kind becomes available. Mostly because I'm too lazy to hook up any of my synths for firmware updates, having too much fun playing them!

Andy_Is

Post by Andy_Is » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:54 pm

Heya People!

I also have a problem updating. I'm used to the c6 program and thought i had it covered. Have also tried several tips from this thread; Sysex librarian, transfer speeds, usb directly, osx and win, latest uploaded fw, patience, multiple cables. Thanks for helping me gain clarity on the issue everybody. The synth had 101 installed, and I tried to update directly to 103. (should that be a problem? (This is the first time i've got my hands on a MOOG on a regular basis.))
I've got the blank display and all lights issue. I make sure to choose the Sub 37 every time in the sysex librarian, and the two first steps goes well. But when I send the third step the synth/sysex librarian doesn't reset itself, as if it doesn't receive anything of the syx. The ARP blinker holds for a short second, then continues in the same tempo. If i try to send the fourth step after this, it seems like the synth receives the info, but it doesn't restart to it's new state after the transmission. (buhu) Tried both 102 and 103 btw.

I've yet to try to go back to 101 and try the process from the beginning, add some more patience with that maybe:) so i'll try that first and come back with the results. Unless somebody can see where my shoe pinches?
And I'm really happy for the support it seems Moog is providing. Looking forward to the automatic update utility. I'll make sure to raise praise on the wonderful Sub 37 in another thread more suited.

A

HicoMe

Post by HicoMe » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:26 am

Hello,
Andy_Is wrote:The synth had 101 installed, and I tried to update directly to 103. (should that be a problem?
I can´t really help you, but I can say, that this should be no problem. I´ve got my Sub37 also with 1.0.1 installed and the first update I´ve done was directly the 1.0.3 ... Hope that someone (Amos?) can help you without shipping the unit back to service ...

Have you contacted Moog Music directly?

Regards
Heiko
My current Moogs: Sub 37
My former Moogs: Minimoog Model D, heavily selfmodified Prodigy, Satellite, Etherwave Theremin