Build question on S37

Everything Sub.
slabwax

Build question on S37

Post by slabwax » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:54 am

I've ordered one anyways. That said, how do the knobs feel on the S37. I thought the SubP did not feel as solid as the LP. Maybe it was just my imagination running away with me.

Toom

Re: Build question on S37

Post by Toom » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:10 am

They're smaller so I would say they're not as solid as my Minimoog OS. But guess what? I prefer the Sub 37 way more than my OS! They'll definitely last though! Let me know what you think once you get it.

lushr

Post by lushr » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:19 pm

The build feels exceptional. I didn't like the buttons on the LP, except that they light up which is fun. The Sub 37 panel is much more crowded, but organised so logically, and the whole thing feels like a rolls Royce compared to even my LP stage 2. I think because it's a tribute edition with the side wood panels, orange lights and the little lit up buttons, which do feel solid and reliable, though at first sight seem like they might be too toylike. The knobs are smaller, but as solid and smooth as the ones on my LP. These knobs are still a great size for adult hands, the whole thing feels perfect to me, so much so that I don't analyse any of it, I'm just enchanted.

I agree the Sub Phatty did seem a bit hollow in construction, I didn't buy one. The 37 is a monster compared to its predecessor.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:05 pm

"I agree the Sub Phatty did seem a bit hollow in construction"

I'm glad it was not just me.

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:49 pm

I wholeheartedly agree that the build quality is superb. Every knob and switch feels firmly intact, nothing feels flimsy at all to me. My only comparison (that I've had hands on with) would be to the MS20 mini. Now of course the price points are completely different, but the MS20 mini feels like a toy compared to the Sub 37 - knobs are very loose and don't feel like they will last more than a few years. I fully expect my 37 to last decades.

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:19 am

I bleeping love my Sub Phatty. I worship that synth. It is perfect.
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

lushr

Post by lushr » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:23 am

Fantastca wrote:I bleeping love my Sub Phatty. I worship that synth. It is perfect.
No offense meant. I wanted to love my LP, and frankly can sit and play preset 29 (Taurus bass) for hours in total happiness.

But after years of buying budget synths and seeing their downfall where one or two things make it just not good enough, or too complex for me to "get". the sub 37 tribute edition feels like it was made for me. In fact it has replaced my computer. It sits on my desk and I just play with it, like I've heard people are supposed to do with synths. The sub 37 just speaks to me. And it is a pleasure.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:47 pm

I just received my S37 a few hours ago. It is what I wanted with my LP but did not know until I had the LP for a while. I'm in knob heaven. As far as the build, It seems much more sturdy than the Sub P. Again it might be my imagination. I love the sound, the functionality the build and the looks. There is a lot to this synth. I might be done buying for a while. Except for the new Korg/Arp Odyssey (there's always a but).

inspiran

Post by inspiran » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Build is excellent. Everything just feels solid. Only thing is the black mat paint below the keys which I am not sure it will remain scratch free.

monokit

Post by monokit » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:31 pm

Build quality of both SubP and S37 is equal. Though my S37 has the f and g key 1mm lower than the other keys. That shouldnt be...maybe i should return it?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:03 pm

inspiran wrote:Build is excellent. Everything just feels solid. Only thing is the black mat paint below the keys which I am not sure it will remain scratch free.
Yes it will. My Little Phatty had the same finish; after 7 years it still looked new. ;)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:27 pm

So I'm here to stand down.

I had a chance to play a sub phatty this weekend. And yes the Sub P does in fact have the same feel as the Sub 37. I don't know what I had thought when I first played the Sub Phatty. But it does not suck or feel of lesser quality. I STAND CORRECTED.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:19 pm

I now have both the Sub 37 and the Sub Phatty. The build quality on both are superior to most others, they are built like tanks and a pleasure to play and tweak. The only difference I really notice is that the key action on the Sub Phatty is just a little stiffer than my Sub 37. I prefer the Sub 37 but the difference is so small it's hardly worth mentioning.

CanCan2

Post by CanCan2 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Does anyone have any damage to the wood side panels? Just got mine and there's a few small marks on both pieces (one is next to the KB Octave button and the other just above the highest key). They are both on the inside edge of the wood, so I don't think it would shave happened during shipping.

Just wondering if this is typical. Kind of surprising to see on a brand new instrument.

Can

Moog Music

Post by Moog Music » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:51 am

CanCan2 wrote:Does anyone have any damage to the wood side panels? Just got mine and there's a few small marks on both pieces (one is next to the KB Octave button and the other just above the highest key). They are both on the inside edge of the wood, so I don't think it would shave happened during shipping.

Just wondering if this is typical. Kind of surprising to see on a brand new instrument.

Can
This is absolutely not normal, and we apologize. We QC each piece of wood and go to great lengths to make sure each looks great. If it doesn't, it gets tossed. Please contact our support department and we'll get you a new set of sides ASAP.

-Your Friends at Moog