MIDI in?

Everything Werkstatt.
slabwax

MIDI in?

Post by slabwax » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:20 am

I'd like to get on of these to use mostly as a third o/c for a Sub37. Is it a very difficult mod. Would it be able to sync with the S37 arp and sequencer?

Thankss

mmarsh100

Re: MIDI in?

Post by mmarsh100 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:26 pm

I just received this in the mail: http://www.midi-hardware.com/index.php? ... uct=MINICV

My plan is the same, to use to Werkstatt as a third oscillator for the Sub 37.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:31 pm

Please let us know how it works out. Is this something that is small enough to mount on the inside of the Werkstatt? It look very small does it use the same 3.5 plug to midi din like some of the Akai gear uses?

Thanks
Dean

grenert

Post by grenert » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:33 pm

The MINICV does not have any hardware. It is just a populated board, so you can use any connector you like.
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

muksys

Post by muksys » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:32 pm

I just ordered 3 of these for some werkstatt's I'm modding. I have it's bigger brother (midimplant) and it's ridiculously small! It should mount perfectly to the kludge area on the PCB. As it's just the PCB you can wire it to any jack you like. If you plan to mount a standard sized MIDI IN jack, the only place it will fit is on the right side (by the patchbay). The Werkstatt PCB doesn't extend all the way to the edge, so there's just enough clearance for the jack. Very convenient (and possibly intentional) of moog to do that!

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:30 pm

"If you plan to mount a standard sized MIDI IN jack, the only place it will fit is on the right side (by the patch bay)."

For me thats perfect. Midi out on the S37 is on the left side. And thats just how I'd like it set up.

grenert

Post by grenert » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:04 am

FYI for anyone using the MINICV. I just did this, connecting the gate out of the MINICV directly to the gate out point, just before cap C68 as described here: http://laurentidesynthworks.blogspot.co ... -mods.html
Note that since I was not using an external gate in, I did not have a jack installed that unplugged the preceding trigger circuits coming from the keyboard.
This setup worked, but the volume was very quiet. It appeared that the MINICV couldn't maintain the gate signal voltage in this configuration without some "help." So I added a voltage follower (LM358 powered by the +9V rail) and all is well now :)

I connected the CV out of the MINICV an internal point that is connected to the VCO EXP IN header connection. Sadly, this bypasses the glide function, which is part of the keyboard circuit. I think it should be possible to add one back with the voltage follower circuit, but I'm not up to that task right now.

The MIDI jack just barely fits on the right side as mentioned above. Mount the jack so that the internal connections fit underneath the PCB, otherwise they might bump into the PCB.
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M

muksys

Post by muksys » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:33 pm

Interesting about the MINICV. Thanks for the heads up.

Learning that the glide was part of the keyboard and will not work with an external CV was a bummer. If I remember correctly, when I metered the kb output at the glide, it spanned 3v across the octave. Probably with a jack and a 4053 it could work, but it's much easier to just make another glide with an 072. I just put together a PCB that has a glide circuit on it as well as a mixer for the VCO and Audio IN. Gonna slap it all on the right. I really wasn't into adding knobs to the side, but it's almost necessary.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:00 pm

Just hooked mine up with no gate. My intent was to trigger it from the Sub 37 and use it as a third oscillator, which...works like a charm :) 3 Moog oscillators (plus a sub) make for mighty fine noises! Very pleased.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:09 pm

Audio please. My Werkstatt just got here today and built. It sounds great. Do you go for the stock programing with the minicv? I want to get to be able to note on/off mod wheel and after touch. Is it easy to install?

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:15 pm

The install took about 10 minutes, but that was after maybe an hour of reading the MINICV docs and the werkstatt schemo. I have the oscillator on the werkstatt running free and hooked into the Sub37 via the Ext.In plug.

grenert

Post by grenert » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:39 pm

muksys wrote:Interesting about the MINICV. Thanks for the heads up.

Learning that the glide was part of the keyboard and will not work with an external CV was a bummer. If I remember correctly, when I metered the kb output at the glide, it spanned 3v across the octave. Probably with a jack and a 4053 it could work, but it's much easier to just make another glide with an 072. I just put together a PCB that has a glide circuit on it as well as a mixer for the VCO and Audio IN. Gonna slap it all on the right. I really wasn't into adding knobs to the side, but it's almost necessary.
I wonder if it might be possible to replace the original glide pot with a dual? I don't want to put in any more holes than necessary, either.
I am already a little bummed that the MIDI jack on the side doesn't allow me to put snazzy wood ends on like like facon did. :D

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:38 pm

I am already a little bummed that the MIDI jack on the side doesn't allow me to put snazzy wood ends on like like facon did. :D

You could counter sink the whole for the jack i don't think that would look to bad.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:51 pm

MINICV in and working well :) Here is a small demo of it as a third oscillator for my Sub 37:
https://soundcloud.com/mmarsh/3oscdemo

grenert

Post by grenert » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:56 am

grenert wrote:
muksys wrote:Learning that the glide was part of the keyboard and will not work with an external CV was a bummer. If I remember correctly, when I metered the kb output at the glide, it spanned 3v across the octave. Probably with a jack and a 4053 it could work, but it's much easier to just make another glide with an 072. I just put together a PCB that has a glide circuit on it as well as a mixer for the VCO and Audio IN. Gonna slap it all on the right. I really wasn't into adding knobs to the side, but it's almost necessary.
I wonder if it might be possible to replace the original glide pot with a dual? I don't want to put in any more holes than necessary, either.
For anyone interested in keeping just one glide knob for both the internal keyboard and MIDI, there is a dual 1M log taper pot that will fit with some minor fiddling:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 7-2102F-1M

Note that you will need to bend the legs back right at the body to reach the original holes for the pot. Also, they will be slightly off-center, since this pot has six legs instead of three. But it's not too hard to angle them slightly sideways to fit. Test-fit the front panel before soldering to make sure everything is aligned OK. Once that's in place, then you have a bonus 1M log pot to use to add back glide to the MIDI keyboard input! :D I basically duplicated the original glide circuit except that I used LM358 which simply hooked up to the +9V and GND supplies (no need for -V rail).

Strangely, I now notice that the sound is much quieter when using the built-in keyboard than when going thru MIDI. Not sure why this is; maybe I should have used a bipolar supply? Still works, but you wouldn't want to use both methods at the same time.

The replacment pot has a D-shaft and is longer than the original, so I cut off a bit of the end and added a knob on top to hide its unattractiveness :wink: