Sub 37 - Questions

Everything Sub.
evileye

Re: Sub 37 - Questions

Post by evileye » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:38 pm

OK, here's more ;-)

If you're in DUO mode, it will record two notes if you press two notes while recording a step.

But, more importantly, since SEQ NOTE, SEQ VEL, and SEQ MOD are among the Programmable Mod Sources, you can have them modulate any of the 90+ Programmable Mod Destinations.

AND... Velocity and Mod Wheel are also able to independently modulate the amount of MOD 1 and MOD 2 total depths (as well as Aftertouch, and Control 4, which currently defaults to receiving CC#4).
That much, I pretty much understood although I'm sure others will benefit from this information. There's a ton of power I'll be tapping into tonight and well into the future.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:54 pm

JonLukas wrote:Can the rate of the 'light show' be modulated by an LFO?
The light show's rate is dictated by the Arpeggiator's RATE knob.

If you turn the knob a lot, it may take a moment for the light show to reflect the new rate.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

JonLukas

Post by JonLukas » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:41 pm

The light show's rate is dictated by the Arpeggiator's RATE knob.
Yeah I saw that...I was just curious about having the rate change over time...so that, for instance, during a set break the lights could start off slow, and speed up as the next set approached. But it looks like the LFO can't go that slow anyway, to have a change happen over several minutes...

The idea occurred to me as I am waiting for my Sub 37, reading and dreaming about it. It should arrive soon, at which time I will probably be less much concerned about the light show and much more interested in all the sound possibilities... :D
Pianoteq, Guda KickR, Drumaxx, Diva, Pigments, Flow Motion, Kontakt, Omnisphere 2, StudioLogic SL73, MainStage, Logic Pro X.
Downtempo performed live: http://echofabric.com

cb70

Post by cb70 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:51 pm

I don't have the Light Show option on mine. Was that feature removed for FW update 1.0.1?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:25 am

cb70 wrote:I don't have the Light Show option on mine. Was that feature removed for FW update 1.0.1?
Hi cb70,
Have you spent much time in the GLOBAL MENU yet?

easyjoey

Post by easyjoey » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:39 am

Loving the Sub 37 so far. Couple quick questions:

1. Is there a way to have different durations for the notes in the step sequencer?

2. Is there a way to edit notes in a sequence without re-writing the entire sequence?

Also, I wish the various lights (1-16) would light up indicating where you are in the sequence in addtion to the numbers on the screen.

Thanks

Joe

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:10 am

easyjoey wrote:Is there a way to have different durations for the notes in the step sequencer?
It's a relational thing. By using TIEs you can make notes twice as long. Now, any note (or rest) that is not tied will be half as long as the tied notes. You can go into the PRESET EDIT menu and then the ARPEGGIATOR sub menu where you'll find a parameter called CLOCK DIV. This lets you choose the unit of the beat for the arpeggiation or sequence steps. But that unit of the beat is the same for every step, meaning that changing CLOCK DIV only sets the overall relationship between the tempo and the notes. To differentiate note lengths, you'll still need to use ties for the "normal" lengths and not use ties for the shorter lengths.
easyjoey wrote:2. Is there a way to edit notes in a sequence without re-writing the entire sequence?
Future rev.
easyjoey wrote:Also, I wish the various lights (1-16) would light up indicating where you are in the sequence in addtion to the numbers on the screen.
Future rev. This is how you will be able to tweak the individual step's notes, velocity, and Mod Wheel position.

easyjoey

Post by easyjoey » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:45 am

Thanks... all of that makes sense.

Really looking for the future updates but am extemely happy with the Sub 37 as-is for now! :)

cb70

Post by cb70 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Code: Select all

[quote="_DemonDan_"][quote="cb70"]I don't have the Light Show option on mine. Was that feature removed for FW update 1.0.1?[/quote]
Hi cb70,
Have you spent much time in the GLOBAL MENU yet?[/quote]
I have scrolled through all menus. At least I believe I have. I was comparing them with the menu breakdown from the pdf and for Global Menu 2.x mine only shows the top three choices. Light Show and Preset volume are missing.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:45 am

cb70 wrote:I was comparing them with the menu breakdown from the pdf and for Global Menu 2.x mine only shows the top three choices. Light Show and Preset volume are missing.
Hmmm... I don't have the Sub 37 with me, but 1.0.1 is installed and I used the LIGHT SHOW parameter recently.

Have you re-installed the latest operating systems? It only takes a few minutes and doesn't harm your presets.

jsumners

Post by jsumners » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:47 am

1. How do you send a preset to the Sub 37? I can export individual presets via the sysex menu, but I do not see a receive option.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:23 pm

jsumners wrote:1. How do you send a preset to the Sub 37?
I can export individual presets via the sysex menu, but I do not see a receive option.
The Sub 37 automatically recieves SysEx files that contain the Moog and Sub 37 IDs.

The *crucial* thing to know is that, when you load a SysEx file that was made via CURRENT PRESET, ALL PRESETS, or BULK DUMP, the presets contained in that file will go to the exact same locations they were at when they were dumped.

This means that some/all of your presets may/may not get erased, depending on what's in that particular SysEx file.

The only Sub 37 SysEx file that's different is created using PANEL SOUND (soon to be renamed BUFFER as it's more accurate).

BUFFER: SEND sends whatever is currently in your edit buffer. If you've called up a preset, but haven't edited anything, it will send the preset as it is. If you make any edits, the edited version (living in the edit buffer) is sent.

Whenever you load a SysEx file that was created using BUFFER (or PANEL SOUND), it will only go into your Sub 37's edit buffer, meaning that, although you can play it, it isn't actually saved anywhere until you do a SAVE and choose a location.

For this reason, I recommend that all single preset dumps that programmers are going to give to the public be dumped using BUFFER.

This way, Sub 37 owners can try your preset even if they've already used up all of their 256 preset locations.

jsumners

Post by jsumners » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:40 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
jsumners wrote:1. How do you send a preset to the Sub 37?
I can export individual presets via the sysex menu, but I do not see a receive option.
The Sub 37 automatically recieves SysEx files that contain the Moog and Sub 37 IDs.

The *crucial* thing to know is that, when you load a SysEx file that was made via CURRENT PRESET, ALL PRESETS, or BULK DUMP, the presets contained in that file will go to the exact same locations they were at when they were dumped.

This means that some/all of your presets may/may not get erased, depending on what's in that particular SysEx file.

The only Sub 37 SysEx file that's different is created using PANEL SOUND (soon to be renamed BUFFER as it's more accurate).

BUFFER: SEND sends whatever is currently in your edit buffer. If you've called up a preset, but haven't edited anything, it will send the preset as it is. If you make any edits, the edited version (living in the edit buffer) is sent.

Whenever you load a SysEx file that was created using BUFFER (or PANEL SOUND), it will only go into your Sub 37's edit buffer, meaning that, although you can play it, it isn't actually saved anywhere until you do a SAVE and choose a location.

For this reason, I recommend that all single preset dumps that programmers are going to give to the public be dumped using BUFFER.

This way, Sub 37 owners can try your preset even if they've already used up all of their 256 preset locations.
Ewww. I don't like that. I'd much rather be able to load the "patch" location via the panel and then go to the sysex menu and choose to receive a patch to the current location. If you have the power, please get that added to a firmware wish list.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:51 pm

jsumners wrote:I'd much rather be able to load the "patch" location via the panel and then go to the sysex menu and choose to receive a patch to the current location.
That gets tricky when there can be anywhere between 1 & 256 presets being dumped at once.

There is only one Edit Buffer (like pretty much on all keyboards) so, if there is more than one preset, they can't all go to that edit buffer.

Don't forget that there is an alleged editor coming for this that will make the process much more predictable and organizable.

What you're currently using is a raw SysEx Dump method which is much more primitive than a LOAD/SAVE operation.

evileye

Post by evileye » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:07 pm

The above pretty much explains why I prefer to have a PC based librarian for dealing with patches. I hate having patches forced to restore to the original patch location. Give me a librarian like the Access Virus and I'll be one happy camper.

Thanks for the tip on saving patches from buffer. I glad to see the terminology change to "buffer". That's a lot clearer.