Sub 37 - Questions

Everything Sub.
evileye

Sub 37 - Questions

Post by evileye » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:46 pm

With the Sub 37 in hand and a few hours tinkering under my belt, I have a few questions that could use a bit of clarification since there is no manual (except for the menus).

1. Does anyone have an idea how to program the step sequencer?

2. What is the purpose of the "Panel" button?

3. If I start tweaking an existing preset, is there a way to save it to a different preset location? Or, is there a way to copy a preset to a new location?

4. Isn't the Sub 37 supposed to have a VST for editing? I can't find mention of it on Moog's site any more but still see it mentioned on some dealer sites.

If anyone else has questions, feel free to add them here.

Thanks

JonLukas

Re: Sub 37 - Questions

Post by JonLukas » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:55 pm

5. Can the rate of the 'light show' be modulated by an LFO ? :)
Pianoteq, Guda KickR, Drumaxx, Diva, Pigments, Flow Motion, Kontakt, Omnisphere 2, StudioLogic SL73, MainStage, Logic Pro X.
Downtempo performed live: http://echofabric.com

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:48 pm

Panel – instantly adopts the values of the knobs as they are physically set (as opposed to the values stored in the patch selected)
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:41 am

1- Isn't there a "REC" setting on the arpegiator selector?...

evileye

Post by evileye » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:03 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:1- Isn't there a "REC" setting on the arpegiator selector?...
There is a REC setting but that doesn't mean I can figure out the steps to record a pattern. I don't even know WHAT I can record, how to advance steps, how to use those REST and TIE buttons (I know what they mean, just not the mechanics to use when recording. I have experimented with the feature, just no luck.

--------------------

Thanks for the reply on the PANEL button. That was one I eventually figured out after exploring the Sub Phatty manual.

evileye

Post by evileye » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:08 am

I've found another question.

6. What does the Beat Frequency knob do?

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:27 am

evileye wrote:I've found another question.

6. What does the Beat Frequency knob do?
Assuming it's the same as the Sub Phatty ...

PARAMETER: OSCILLATOR 2 BEAT FREQUENCY
KNOB: OSCILLATOR 2 FREQUENCY
Engage Shift mode and turn oscillator 2’s FREQUENCY knob to set the “beat frequency” of oscillator 2 against oscillator 1. The range is plus or minus 3.5 Hz, with no detuning (0Hz) in the middle. This parameter creates a linear constant detuning of oscillator 2 relative to oscillator 1, so that oscillator 2 is always detuned by the same number of cycles per second (Hz) regardless of the musical pitch. The result is a musical detuning effect which phases or “beats” at a consistent rate on every note.
By contrast, the OSCILLATOR 2 FREQUENCY knob detunes oscillator 2 by musical cents, where the rate of beating between oscillators is halved or doubled as you play an octave lower or higher in pitch. NOTE: for this reason, if you want a constant beat frequency at all pitches, make sure that the regular OSCILLATOR 2 FREQUENCY control is centered. If you want absolute unison between oscillator 2 and oscillator 1, make sure this BEAT FREQUENCY control is centered.

egg

Post by egg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:45 am

I have a question.

How do you initialize a patch? That's the first thing I want to do before I listen to any presets. I want to take it right back to 1 raw osc and work out how it flows from there.

I'm sure it will be a really easy process but without a manual it may not be obvious. I don't want to press a single key until I have done that haha.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:49 am

evileye wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote:1- Isn't there a "REC" setting on the arpegiator selector?...
There is a REC setting but that doesn't mean I can figure out the steps to record a pattern. I don't even know WHAT I can record, how to advance steps, how to use those REST and TIE buttons (I know what they mean, just not the mechanics to use when recording. I have experimented with the feature, just no luck.
Have you tried to set the knob on REC then just playing notes? Then setting the knob on STEP and turnin on the arpeggiator should allow you to play the sequence on the keys, transposing every time you change the key.

Anyone correct me.

jsumners

Post by jsumners » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:24 pm

egg wrote:I have a question.

How do you initialize a patch? That's the first thing I want to do before I listen to any presets. I want to take it right back to 1 raw osc and work out how it flows from there.

I'm sure it will be a really easy process but without a manual it may not be obvious. I don't want to press a single key until I have done that haha.
Half of the patches are an init patch. If I remember correctly, patch 9-7 is the first init patch. Once you have an init patch loaded, simply turn off OSC 2, the sub oscillator, the noise oscillator, and the feedback loop. You'll then have a fine starting point.

*edit*: corrected patch number
Last edited by jsumners on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:05 pm

evileye wrote:Does anyone have an idea how to program the step sequencer?
If the arpeggiator is not running (ON button is darkened), and you turn the PATTERN knob to REC, the very next key you press will erase the existing step sequence and then become step 1. The bottom row of the display screen will show REC 01 / 01, indicating that you have recorded step 1 of a (so far) 1-step sequence. Each successive key press (or a REST) will advance you to the next step number. You can record up to 64 steps. Each time that you add a step, the sequencer records the note number, its velocity, and the current position of the MODULATION wheel at that time the note was pressed.

You can record tied notes or legato notes by using the TIE button. After entering a note, pressing the TIE button will tie (connect) your previous note to the next note you play. If, after pressing TIE, you play the same note as the previous note you will, in effect, double the length of the previous note. If you play a different note than the previous note using a tie you will hear the new pitch without triggering the envelopes. If you have the Glide ON button lit along with the LEGATO button you will get the glide effect only between the tied notes.
Last edited by _DemonDan_ on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:09 pm

evileye wrote:If I start tweaking an existing preset, is there a way to save it to a different preset location?
1) Press the SAVE button.

2) You will be prompted to name your preset. Use the [Dec/Inc] buttons to select a character, and use the FINE TUNE knob to scroll through available characters. Now use the [DOWN/UP] buttons to select CAT (Category), and the FINE TUNE knob to assign your sound to a new category.  Press SAVE to accept. (You can also press CURSOR and use the [DOWN/UP] buttons to edit an individual character.)

3) Select a save location using the BANK/PRESET buttons on the bottom of the front panel. Press and hold SAVE for one second to confirm and complete the save process. To cancel saving, press the PRESET button. (If you’re already in the bank you want, you can simply press SAVE and then choose from PRESET 1-16)

Note: When you first press the SAVE button, the current positions of the MODULATION wheel and VOLUME knob are frozen so that they can be saved with the preset.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:15 pm

evileye wrote:What is the purpose of the "Panel" button?
PANEL: This button puts the Sub 37 in “Panel Active” mode, where the sound always reflects the actual position of the front-panel knobs. The other preset parameters in Panel mode (other than the knobs) are saved in a special buffer, so you can set up the Panel sound to have whatever non-knob settings you want and those settings will be restored each time you activate Panel Mode, while the parameters with panel knobs are set to the actual knob position each time.
egg wrote:How do you initialize a patch?
INIT (Creating A New Sound from Scratch):
If you press and hold the PANEL button for one second, the sound will be initialized to a default state. This can be a good starting place for creating your own sounds, which you can then save to any preset location.
Last edited by _DemonDan_ on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evileye

Post by evileye » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks a lot _ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

While I may have figured out the step sequencer with more experimentation, figuring out that there are two "Save" operations required to save a patch to a new location would have given me fits. I kept thinking I'd be overwriting the preset and I was prepared for that just yet.

It's a shame the step sequencer doesn't save more than just the Note, Velocity and Mod Wheel but I can live with it considering all the rest the synth offers.

Mark

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:31 pm

evileye wrote:It's a shame the step sequencer doesn't save more than just the Note, Velocity and Mod Wheel...
OK, here's more ;-)

If you're in DUO mode, it will record two notes if you press two notes while recording a step.

But, more importantly, since SEQ NOTE, SEQ VEL, and SEQ MOD are among the Programmable Mod Sources, you can have them modulate any of the 90+ panel and Programmable Mod Destinations.

AND... Velocity and Mod Wheel are also able to independently modulate the amount of MOD 1 and MOD 2 total depths (as well as Aftertouch, and Control 4, which currently defaults to receiving CC#4).
Last edited by _DemonDan_ on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.