Decision support: is the Voyager a reliable synthesizer?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Nordlicht

Decision support: is the Voyager a reliable synthesizer?

Post by Nordlicht » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I want to fulfill my dream and buy a new Voyager in the next weeks. So, there are still some question to you as experienced users or "insiders":
Is the Voyager a reliable synthesizer? How old are your devices and were there any problems? Are there any weak points, what should I watch?
Of course with a new device, I have a 3-year warranty, but I'd appreciate your experience with the reliability of hardware and software.

And: Do you expect a (major?) update or a new version of the voyager in the near future? After all, it's already 12 years in production...

Thank you in advance and best regards
https://www.spektralfarben-music.com

KAWAI ES7, Uhl X3-2, Korg Kronos2-61, Nord Stage 3, Sequential Take 5, Nord Lead A1, Korg Pa3XLe.

MC

Re: Decision support: is the Voyager a reliable synthesizer?

Post by MC » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:29 pm

I bought one of the first ones twelve years ago. Used in my studio and on the road with zero problems.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:59 pm

Yes the Voyager is very reliable. It is an analog instrument with over 800 components, so there have been issues here and there like any other instrument, but Moog's customer service is great.

There may very well still be different versions of the Voyager, though I don't really see how they can do anything else since they pretty much put the icing on the cake with the XL. Maybe an all acrylic chassis/cabinet. Who knows? There haven't been any major software updates in awhile now, and there probably won't be, since they already have that about as perfect as it can be.

I mean, I wish they would add a sequencer/arpeggiator, make every knob (or at least the modulation amounts) assignable via pot mapping, and make some sort of panel based filter pole selection. Maybe they will, but I'm not holding my breath.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

christopherrowand

Post by christopherrowand » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:00 pm

Buy it. Life's too short to worry.
You won't regret it. Hope you make the right decision.
Regards,
Chris

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm with Chris.

Plus the question of knowing whteher an update will come soon is not relevant. If a Voyager gives you joy, a new Voyager won't make your old Voyager give you less joy. Buy it for what it is, not for what it might become.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:47 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote: a new Voyager won't make your old Voyager give you less joy.
The XL made my Voyager seem...small.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:49 pm

I will second that - XL is hands down one of the best purchases I've ever made. Bought a refurb a few months ago and have had zero problems and many happy evenings creating sounds!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:57 pm

Asking this question is like asking: are airplanes safe to fly on ? Yes, of course. But that doesn't mean a crash is impossible, although relatively rare.

If you've been dreaming of owning a genuine Moog Voyager, here's your chance to fulfill that dream ! Who could resist ? Not me. :lol:
And combine that with a 3 year warranty, what have you got to loose ? Nothing.

So, like Chris, Stiiiiiiive, and EricK wrote: go for it man! :D
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:02 pm

EricK wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote: a new Voyager won't make your old Voyager give you less joy.
The XL made my Voyager seem...small.
Yeah but the XL is not the new/next Voyager right now ;)

Ok, I get your idea guys. But I will maintain that I don't remember anybody regreting their purcahse of a Voyager enven though the XL was annouced.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:17 pm

If you're worried about which Voyager is safe to fly in, opt for the aluminum model :mrgreen:
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Nordlicht

Post by Nordlicht » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi together,

and thanks a lot for your input and information.

I've played the Voyager, the Little Phatty and the Sub Phatty in the Shop and thought: Wow, only 1 Osc of the Voyager sounded more powerful than the 2 (+sub) of the both "brothers".
And probably the new Sub 37 will rather sound like the Sub Phatty than like the Voyager. Am I right with both?

But in the end: OK, OK, you have convinced me (or you have dispelled my doubts)! :D
Right after my holiday I will check the stock in the shops and I will give you a feedback about my final choice.

Have a nice day, evening...
https://www.spektralfarben-music.com

KAWAI ES7, Uhl X3-2, Korg Kronos2-61, Nord Stage 3, Sequential Take 5, Nord Lead A1, Korg Pa3XLe.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:53 am

I have a Signature Voyager. It has been upgraded to nearly the new spec. (Still need to do the aftertouch mod) It needs occasional maintenance and could use a trip to the factory every lustrum or so for a recalibration. I've got the latest OS and wish for a new one to meet my percieved needs, but it is good and stable as it stands. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

sp00ge

Post by sp00ge » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:45 pm

Nordlicht wrote: I've played the Voyager, the Little Phatty and the Sub Phatty in the Shop and thought: Wow, only 1 Osc of the Voyager sounded more powerful than the 2 (+sub) of the both "brothers".
And probably the new Sub 37 will rather sound like the Sub Phatty than like the Voyager. Am I right with both?
The Voyager is a bit thicker and warmer sounding while the Sub yields more of a tighter focused in your face focused sound. Another way to look at this is that the Voyager sounds somewhat muted compared to the Sub Phatty unless you have the filters wide open.

The Sub 37 appears to be very similar to the Sub but the new Filter Feedback circuit can yield some differences...either way neither will sound like a Voyager.

I run my Voyager RME and Sub Phatty through Focal Twin BE6 monitors and the difference in sound is immediately apparent.

JnGd

Post by JnGd » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi, no problems with the Voyager since I bought it in april 2012...I'm not a musician so it doesn't work hard. I'm still reading the manuals,I always
let the machine heat for at least 15-20 minutes before doing anything. When I shut it down, I always turn down every knobs on the mixer first, then I switch off all oscillators, noise source...I let it "cooldown" for a while then "off".I could say that the machine is "on" for about 10-15 hours a week.The trick is in the reading, little help from the Moog staff and the forum community like here ! It's a fabulous soundship !

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 am

JnGd wrote:When I shut it down, I always turn down every knobs on the mixer first, then I switch off all oscillators, noise source...I let it "cooldown" for a while then "off".I could say that the machine is "on" for about 10-15 hours a week.The trick is in the reading, little help from the Moog staff and the forum community like here ! It's a fabulous soundship !
Do you really have to do that, or is it just playing safe? I turn mine on every morning or when I get home from work in the afternoon and then turn it of when getting to sleep. I don't turn anything down when cutting the power on the "wall of sound" I have (2x2,5 meters with Voyager, foogers, Elektrons and mixer/speakers), just the output of the mixer (not Voyager-mixer). I turn everything of by pulling the cord from the wall.
Latest gigs
https://youtu.be/Fpvi7Jrq8DQ
http://youtu.be/owdKlBrUUKY

Minimoog Voyager EB & Minitaur + MF-101 + MF-103 + MF-104M + MF-107 + CP-251 + Minifooger Drive. MachineDrum UW + MonoMachine + Rickenbackerbass (-75) + Hagströmguitar (-75).