SUB 37 Sound Demo Request

Everything Sub.
Dapifer

SUB 37 Sound Demo Request

Post by Dapifer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:43 am

Just a little request for Amos etc, can we please get a demo that demonstrates how wide a palette of sounds the Sub 37 is capable of? We've seen the feature set which I'm sold on but the demos so far have really only demonstrated one side of it. The same can be said of the SupPhatty demos but I'm hoping the features on the 37 can push the sound in more versatile ways (okay I know that contradicts my last sentence).

I'm currently deciding between the Sub 37 and the MFB Dominion 1. So far Moog has the advantage with confidence in quality and customer service (always gonna be a big factor in a purchase of this price), nothing against Mfb but they're a very small company and I'm not sure I'd feel that confident with a beta OS product there. However, I have had the Dominion X which I sold off to put towards the Sub 37 and it had a very broad range of sound capabilities but didn't feel too sturdy. I was able to borrow a Sub Phatty for a few days but I didn't get enough time with it to really delve in there and see what it was capable of. I also sold off my Slim Phatty to put towars the 37 and I wanna hear a demo that shows the 37 can produce as wide a range as the Slim Phatty at least.

Another cool thing to throw in a demo video would be polychaining the 37 with the Sub P, I'm sure this would appeal to people who already have the SP and are deciding whether they really need the 37 or not. The future potential for Sub modules that could be chained up may be deal breaker but I wanna hear what that sounds like :D .

madhermit

Re: SUB 37 Sound Demo Request

Post by madhermit » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:32 pm

+1
I would like to hear non-driven sounds... Levels under 50%. I am curious about what the more 'pure' tones will be like.
J. Dickinson
{MF-104m, Sub37}

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:10 pm

Dapifer wrote:...I wanna hear a demo that shows the 37 can produce as wide a range as the Slim Phatty at least.
I can only type right now (as opposed to giving you an audio demo).

And I do know that:
"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture."

But... the SUB 37 continues to surprise me with its depth and versatility.

Imagine a sound with two OSCs and a Sub OSC that's being modulated by two LFOs, both in the audio range, with two rapidly and independently looping EGs, and being played by an arpeggiator that can 64-step sequence two notes at a time, which can be transposed in realtime across the keyboard, with modulation depths being controlled simultaneously (and in different amounts and polarities) by MOD Wheel, Velocity, Aftertouch, and an external MIDI CC, that all can go to pitch, filter cutoff, waveshape, etc. And then run that through a mixer with each channel capable of clean or varying degrees of distortion, and then into the multi-slope filter with MultiDrive distortion, and a controllable feedback loop (or external in).

It's going to be a long time before people run out of new things to try on this synth.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:41 pm

….is that arpeggiator swung? :wink:

madhermit

Post by madhermit » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:39 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
Dapifer wrote:...I wanna hear a demo that shows the 37 can produce as wide a range as the Slim Phatty at least.
I can only type right now (as opposed to giving you an audio demo).

And I do know that:
"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture."

But... the SUB 37 continues to surprise me with its depth and versatility.

Imagine a sound with two OSCs and a Sub OSC that's being modulated by two LFOs, both in the audio range, with two rapidly and independently looping EGs, and being played by an arpeggiator that can 64-step sequence two notes at a time, which can be transposed in realtime across the keyboard, with modulation depths being controlled simultaneously (and in different amounts and polarities) by MOD Wheel, Velocity, Aftertouch, and an external MIDI CC, that all can go to pitch, filter cutoff, waveshape, etc. And then run that through a mixer with each channel capable of clean or varying degrees of distortion, and then into the multi-slope filter with MultiDrive distortion, and a controllable feedback loop (or external in).

It's going to be a long time before people run out of new things to try on this synth.
Sounds delicious and awesome! I am starting to have trouble waiting for mine :(
J. Dickinson
{MF-104m, Sub37}

monokit

Post by monokit » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:12 am

And Amos on Muff Wiggler about the Sub37 Sequencer:
I thought folks might be interested in some details about the Sub37 sequencer, while we're waiting the last little while for these things to ship.

You can store a step sequence with every preset (so that's 256 sequences total).

Each sequence has up to 64 steps.

Each step can have:

One or two pitches (can program two pitches per step in Duo Mode)
velocity
rest
tie
programmable mod value

any of the per-step sequence parameters (pitches, velocity, per-step mod) can be fed as sources into either of the two mod busses.

It's pretty easy to program on the fly... in Duo Mode you program the second pitch per step by simply playing legato (playing a second note while still holding the first note records the second note as "pitch 2" for that steo). If you are not in Duo Mode, then playing legato while step-recording automatically ties the steps together (303 slides ahoy).

It's pretty freaking fun. I think some more demos are in the works... maybe even some by actual musicians and not just knob nerds like me
That raises a couple of questions for me. But i guess the answers will be given, once i get my Sub37. ;)

1. How does programming of per step mod works? Just keep a key pressed and dial in a mod amount?
2. Can per step also preset sounds getting changed? (On Step 1 sound A, on step 2 sound B?)
3. Can per step different mod sources and destinations being set? (E.g. on Step 1: Source LFO1 on Step 2: Source LFO2?)
4. Can Presets getting chained to play 128 step sequences?
5. Can Sequences get shortened below 64 steps, e.g. 45 steps?
6. Clock Divider?
7. What does sequences can be fed into either mod busses mean? StepSeq will work as a modsource? (if so big kudos!)
8. Can the sequencer get reprogrammed via midi while its playing, like adding and deleting notes by sending CCs from e.g. an Elektron Monomachine? (The idea is to create a sound self generating device with those two)

Thank you!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:07 am

I had not seen that, that's great, great news!

My 2 cents:
monokit wrote:2. Can per step also preset sounds getting changed? (On Step 1 sound A, on step 2 sound B?)
and
monokit wrote:4. Can Presets getting chained to play 128 step sequences?
I guess not since sequences are bound to programs and not the converse:
amos wrote:You can store a step sequence with every preset
monokit wrote:5. Can Sequences get shortened below 64 steps, e.g. 45 steps?
and
monokit wrote:6. Clock Divider?
I'd say yep!
monokit wrote:7. What does sequences can be fed into either mod busses mean? StepSeq will work as a modsource? (if so big kudos!)
I undestand that either bus can have its source set to any per-step sequenced parameter. Sort of (proto-)parameter lock alla Elektron for the parameters being fed by the mod busses.
amos wrote:the per-step sequence parameters (pitches, velocity, per-step mod) can be fed as sources into either of the two mod busses