Why should i get a Voyager?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
vasago

Re: Why should i get a Voyager?

Post by vasago » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:24 pm

3 osc's is a pretty good reason to choose one above the other IMO

If youre mostly in the box, than the voyager's full midi specs makes it ideal. I LOVE some of yester year's synths, but I now require midi cc's, as I only have two hands, and I HATE using the computer. Moog stuff is where it's at, yo.

Oh, and i guess its worth mentioning that there isnt much under the hood anyway(as others have already mentioned). Even the RME doesnt have that much going on beneath the surface.

I for some reason think your original post was basically asking the rest of us to confirm, in you, the want to get a voyager.

So get one. Don't look back.

Buy used. Get a RME if you want to save a bit.
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:08 am

OMG I totally disagree: the menu on the voyager is SO awkward. I have yet to figure out the logic to when the cursor button does what the arrow buttons do and vice versa. It makes my chest tight just thinking about doing anything of substance with the voyager's menu.

I love my hardware synths because they sound great and they're easier to modulate (with my hands and feet, manually, in real time), not necessarily because they're all that easy to program. I know everyone is all about hardware workflow, and maybe I'm just a digital native whippersnapper, but I can work so much more quickly with software when it comes to editing complicated synth patches and tweaking a whole bunch of modulation routings.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:03 am

I tried using the Voyager's menu and couldn't make heads or tails of it. Granted, I didn't spend weeks pouring over the manual burning the midnight oil...

I'm a freeking musician, who expects musician's to read manuals?

Stephen

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:13 am

Vsyevolod wrote:I'm a freeking musician, who expects musician's to read manuals?
:lol:

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:40 am

Vsyevolod wrote: I'm a freeking musician, who expects musician's to read manuals?
Ouch! You really know how to hurt a guy... :wink:

As an alternative to the User Manual, you could try this handy Menu reference sheet from the KnobTweak site
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Kno ... 0Menus.zip

It's not for the very latest OS, but it should shed some light on the whole Voyager Menu thang.

- Greg

EDIT: I corrected the incomplete URL link above, however you'll still have to log in to KnobTweak to access the file
Last edited by GregAE on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:13 pm

This link works better: bit.ly/1lF25N9

This is very useful. We should update it to the latest version. Of course, if Moog can help us doing it, that would be great too! :lol:
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:09 pm

To answer the OP XAXAU, "Why should I get a Voyager ?" : because you KNOW you want it ! :twisted:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:44 am

GregAE wrote:
Vsyevolod wrote: I'm a freeking musician, who expects musician's to read manuals?
Ouch! You really know how to hurt a guy... :wink:
No offense meant Greg, I'm just saying that having to refer to a manual just to figure out all the menu diving is taking things a bit too far. When I buy an analog instrument, I want everything to be fairly understandable just by looking at it. And of all the analog gear that I own, the Voyager is the most complex and menu driven of them all. I do believe that the menu diving could have been made more 'intuitive'. As it stands, I still get confused just trying to navigate the different screens. Not something that creates a desire to jump in and learn the whole kit and kaboodle...

As an alternative to the User Manual, you could try this handy Menu reference sheet from the KnobTweak site
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Kno ... 0Menus.zip

It's not for the very latest OS, but it should shed some light on the whole Voyager Menu thang
Wow, how did I miss this before? I thought I had downloaded everything that existed on the KnobTweak site. Thanks much for that, I'll have to "dive" into this and see if it helps.

Stephen

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:45 am

The only things I do with the menu:
1. Change it so Bob's head appears.
2. Filter poles
3. Keyboard triggering.
4. Init. parameters

Pretty straight forward stuff.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:53 am

pot mapping :twisted:
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:24 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:pot mapping :twisted:
Indeed! Pot Mapping is power juju. It opens up a new world of performance capabilities on the Voyager, including dynamic volume & filter control, envelope scaling, and complex interactions with the pitch bend and mod wheels, to name but a few.

For anyone interested, there's a Pot Mapping doc on KnobTweak that explains it all:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Kno ... apping.pdf

- Greg

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:42 am

I have little trouble with the Voyager menu system. The controls that are needed for real time and frequent manipulation are on the front panel, while the rest are in the menu system and they are not hard to manipulate. If the parameters in the menu system were given a dedicated pot on the front panel then the Voyager would be too expensive and the synth would be too large. This would be true for any synthesizer. Compromise has been a common practice in the industry for decades.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

vasago

Post by vasago » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:13 pm

EricK wrote:The only things I do with the menu:
2. Filter poles
3. Keyboard triggering.
4. Init. parameters

sometimes i change lfo destinations.... :lol:
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:46 pm

2. Filter poles
3. Keyboard triggering.
4. Init. parameters

Can these (and pot mapping) be changed from an external CC, NRPN or sysex?
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:11 pm

bichuelo wrote:
2. Filter poles
3. Keyboard triggering.
4. Init. parameters

Can these (and pot mapping) be changed from an external CC, NRPN or sysex?
Answering my own question, it looks like the filter poles, keyboard triggering, pot mapping, touchpad destinations and even more parameters can be changed using sysex, great!