A few samples of the MF104MSD with the sax

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!

unfiltered37

Re: A few samples of the MF104MSD with the sax

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:00 am

Cool bleep. Yeah, I never thought of it before, but the sax would be perfect with the 101 because it has so much high frequency content. You can really shape the tone radically while still keeping the character of the sax. I play clavinet, which also has a large high frequency content, and with the 101, you can get so many different timbres, especially when you use the envelope follower. It's not just an "auto-wah", you can get much more diverse sounds by reversing the envelope with a cp-251, adding LFO's sample and hold, lag, etc. Also you should get an expression pedal.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:57 am

Add the simple 8-step program from EHX to the above suggestions and you have a whole world of beautiful analog filter wonder.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

bamorello

Post by bamorello » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks guys. I'm looking at the MF101 and CP251 now. Found some good deals on eBay. So I'll let you know what I decide on but most likely I'll be picking them both up.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:27 am

I don't want to be a gear-addicter but I have to second Alien8: the EHX 8Step Program is a good candidate for the next step :)

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:29 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:I don't want to be a gear-addicter...
Why not? Isn't that what we're all doing here?

:)

Stephen

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:54 pm

Oh c'mon: I'm currently trying to sell stuffs to make some room, I'm trying not to get addicted (again), not to go modular... and you just make a strike in all my determination?... Man!! :lol:

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:46 pm

Can you explain how you recorded the sax? Were you just in a normal room, and what kind of mic did you use?

I'm waiting on a box of reeds so I can dust off my tenor, but the only Mic I really have is the AT 4040 condenser. Seems thats going to pic up more fingerings and extraneous noise than anything else.

Nice recordings!

I love those Sonny Rollins overtones with a delay.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

bamorello

Post by bamorello » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

EricK wrote:Can you explain how you recorded the sax? Were you just in a normal room, and what kind of mic did you use?

I'm waiting on a box of reeds so I can dust off my tenor, but the only Mic I really have is the AT 4040 condenser. Seems thats going to pic up more fingerings and extraneous noise than anything else.

Nice recordings!

I love those Sonny Rollins overtones with a delay.
I use the AKG C519ML wireless mic > AKG WMS40 mini wireless receiver > Joe Meek 3Q pre amp > MF104M Super Delay > DI box > Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 > Reason 7.1.

This set up gets the job done nicely so I can record with the effects. I use this set up live with my funk band, minus the computer stuff. I'll be adding an MF101 and CP251 to use with my electronic music project. But the Joe Meek pre amp is sweet. It really gives the mic a new life and color.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:55 pm

Eric, short of going the wireless/clip on route, using a small cap condenser might work with the highs rolled off with an eq, or just go for the tried and true sm57/58 dynamic. It's not sexy, but it gets the job done, especially with the loud sources. Cheap too.

Bamorello, you might also consider a simple analog compressor in your chain, it will allow you to make wider timbre changes without drastically changing volume. I know a saxomophone player who swears by it.

bamorello

Post by bamorello » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:14 am

unfiltered37 wrote:Eric, short of going the wireless/clip on route, using a small cap condenser might work with the highs rolled off with an eq, or just go for the tried and true sm57/58 dynamic. It's not sexy, but it gets the job done, especially with the loud sources. Cheap too.

Bamorello, you might also consider a simple analog compressor in your chain, it will allow you to make wider timbre changes without drastically changing volume. I know a saxomophone player who swears by it.
The Joe Meek 3Q is a pre amp, compressor and EQ. And it works real good with the sax. I've tried an analog compressor in my chain and I end up with a lot of feedback. The Joe Meek has been a blessing and I can shape my tone how I want. The other sax player in my band uses a Keeley compressor and it works great with his set up.

bamorello

Post by bamorello » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:12 am

I think the next additions to the set up with by the FreqBox and the MURF.

The low pass, FreqBox and CP251 seem like they would make a nice and compact modular synth

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:46 am

Honestly, you need a MURF so you can do stereo panning, flanging (sorta) and tremolo effects. It can do interesting things with the CP251 too.

It's my favorite fooger, besides the delay and cluster flux . . . and phaser and . . . lpf . . .

I bought and owned a Freqbox for a while twice, and sold it both times. I didn't care for it's tone really.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:32 am

Croyote wrote:It's my favorite fooger, besides the delay and cluster flux . . . and phaser and . . . lpf . . .
Croyote, you're officially not credible anymore :lol:

bamorello

Post by bamorello » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:44 am

Croyote wrote:Honestly, you need a MURF so you can do stereo panning, flanging (sorta) and tremolo effects. It can do interesting things with the CP251 too.

It's my favorite fooger, besides the delay and cluster flux . . . and phaser and . . . lpf . . .

I bought and owned a Freqbox for a while twice, and sold it both times. I didn't care for it's tone really.
I'm assuming you would recommend the MIDI Murf over the original MURF?