Model D Pitch wheel mod

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
unfiltered37

Model D Pitch wheel mod

Post by unfiltered37 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Not sure if I have asked this before, but couldn't find it in the search. The stock pitch wheel on my model D is cramping my style pretty bad. I used to have a voyager, and the pitch wheel on that was amazing, I could use the spring to create all kinds of crazy inflections and it would always go back to pitch perfectly. I have come to the conclusion that I need that for my mini, and the pitch changes when coming back to center are just not acceptable. The dead band mod is cool, but I need the spring loading as well. Is there anyone that does this? I live in the Bay Area of California, and would prefer somewhere I could drive to, but if not I would send it anywhere in the US. I'd also like osc sync and CV/Gate out mods done. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thealien666

Re: Model D Pitch wheel mod

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Maybe Chris Hewitt could help you with that (not sure if he does mods, but I know he does repair Minimoogs). He's located in California near San Jose.

Here's his web site (there's a link on the bottom right of that page to contact him via e-mail) : http://www.thisoldsynth.com/About.html

Hope this helps.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:46 pm

The unsatisfying readjustment of the modwheel when using is an old sickness.
Maybe this old modwheel system can be replaced completely by a new one.
"Sync" can of course be added if you like, but there's a need of additional controllers and there must be drilled holes into the housing.
"CV/Trig Out" installing is not recommended because of losing tension stability.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks Alien, I'll email that guy. Megavoice, what do you mean by "tension stability", and how can cv/gate affect it?

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:25 pm

Oh, excuse me please, sometimes I'm in a hurry and there's no time to call up the online dictionary, so I have to translate directly from my native language, Transylvanian Saxon :) And this is one of the results. Sorry for this.... :D
I've meant the "Voltages"
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

TOS

Post by TOS » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:05 pm

Thank you for the referral Alien!

I'm not into anything that requires drilling holes in MiniMoogs, and extremely reluctant to do mods in general. I do of course have the Opto-key project, but that goes out of its way to be a plug in replacement and does not require cutting wires and soldering.

A spring loaded self-centering pitch-wheel for the Minimoog would be a great thing, but there is not much room behind the control panel to fit such a thing and it would have to be engineered from the ground up (unless someone knows of such a thing being available). Also the pitch wheels are somewhat fragile (I have seen a lot of hairline cracked ones) and a spring mechanism might be the final straw that breaks them.

Chris H
This Old Synth, the new home of Synthfool's Opto-Key project.
www.thisoldsynth.com

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:07 pm

Hey welcome to the Moog Forum Chris, glad to see you here !

I wasn't sure about your willingness to do mods, even though you have repaired more than your fair share of Minis. But I figured it was worth trying.

TheAlien666 (AKA Alain Hubert :wink: )
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:23 pm

I don't really care about the wheels themselves unless they are not replaceable. I saw in youtube video Kevin Lightner used to have a LED wheel mod, though not sure if they were already clear wheels or replaced. I guess can live without the spring, but perhaps I could get you to do a deadband mod, Chris? I'll shoot you an email.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:41 am

A very advisable option would be what I almost had done in the '80s.
You can let work out the mod wheels and their cones in brass (or steel if you like) from a precision mechanic.
I often thought about they might be more stable and adjust more precisely in the centre.
Adding two springs on each sides on boths might also work successfully.........
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Personally, I like the extreme sensitivity of the pitch bend wheel. BUT the center detent had to be carefully adjusted so that it comes back to center as precisely as possible. On mine, the pitch variation caused by the slight backlash of that detent is at most +/- 0.5 cents (+/- 3 Hertz) which is acceptable.
But I certainly understand that some players prefer a dead band and even spring loaded wheels. It's just more difficult to implement on a synth that wasn't designed this way. Although the dead band isn't very complicated to add (although it requires a recalibration of all the oscillators once installed, as it offsets the pitch CV). The spring load is another thing.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Palle

Post by Palle » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:33 am

I´m struggling with this too, and I have several options I´m choosing from. One is to get/make an ordinary pitch bend spring. But, as said Before, there isn´t a lot of space beneath the wheels.
Another idea is to use two spiral springs, attached to the two 'stoppers'. That might even take more space than the first option. A third idea is Close to the double springs, but with a rubber band instead. All I have to do is to fasten it at the bottom, a bit to the left (otherwise it´ll just come off).
The oddest idea would be to place wto cubes of foam rubber, to put pressure on the wheel whenever it is pushed back or forth. Not sure that would work at all, and absolutely not in the long run.