Moog Rogue - bringing back to life

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
markustg

Moog Rogue - bringing back to life

Post by markustg » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:48 pm

So, like many the Moog sound to me is compelling.

On a budget, I picked up a used and partly functioning Moog Rogue. Still in with my repair tech to see whats what.

It plays, but has gremlins to be sure.

Has anyone found that the foam "melting" has been the root of many of the repair issues?

Is it worth cleaning the sliders, or is the damage usually done and the should be replaced?

Mr Arkadin

Re: Moog Rogue - bringing back to life

Post by Mr Arkadin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:55 am

I don't know how well the sliders clean up, I just went ahead and replaced them all, and also the switches, with the technology transplant kit. Also handy was the new plastic slider caps as the old ones had faded and some were cracking.

I imagine most issues will be the foam, but what actually isn't working?

Some photos taken AFTER an hour of cleaning the foam:

http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:24 am

It is possible to clean the sliders, but it's a difficult task. Especially if the sticky tar-like stuff has migrated inside the opening. If that's the case, one would have to desolder the slider, dismantle it (by carefully bending the small hooks that holds the top part to the fiberglass bottom), and cleaning the insides with paint thinner or turpentine to remove the goo.

Of course, as Mr Arkadin wrote, a much easier solution is the replacement of all sliders and switches with new ones, but I'm not sure if the Technology Transplant replacement kit for the Rogue is still available. I doubt it.

Good luck.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:49 pm

thealien666 wrote:It is possible to clean the sliders, but it's a difficult task. Especially if the sticky tar-like stuff has migrated inside the opening. If that's the case, one would have to desolder the slider, dismantle it (by carefully bending the small hooks that holds the top part to the fiberglass bottom), and cleaning the insides with paint thinner or turpentine to remove the goo.

Of course, as Mr Arkadin wrote, a much easier solution is the replacement of all sliders and switches with new ones, but I'm not sure if the Technology Transplant replacement kit for the Rogue is still available. I doubt it.

Good luck.
Yes, be aware of risk breaking the four flaps of the sliders when bending up more than one or two times. It should be done very carefully !!!

I also asked my tech about leaving the dirt from the foam rot inside and cleaning then by spraying from outside into.
Don't know if this is o.k. but he said the carbone surfaces won't be damaged from that dirt.
BUT NEVER GET INTO THE SLITS OF THE SLIDERS WITH ANY TOOLS OR WOODEN STICKS AS THIS COULD DAMAGE YOUR SLIDERS, THE BACKELITE EDGES CAN BREAK !!!
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

markustg

Post by markustg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:35 pm

I still have it in to my tech who is giving it a once over.

Ron Perrone

Post by Ron Perrone » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi,

I had the exact problem and my Rogue quit working altogether, so I DID clean the black tar off the board with alcohol , a razor knife and mostly Q-tips. It took hours. But 6 yrs later it still works. Bear in mind that the goop is the leftovers from a "rubbery- foam -paper" shield that normally protects the parts from dirt sneaking in the sliders etc. So I went to Hobby Lobby and found a thick sheet of rubbery-foam-paper something that would serve the same purpose and put it in there. Also when you are cleaning the crap off, remember to make sure everything is DRY before you turn it on. Crazy? It worked.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:47 pm

Well I've now the cleaning procedure behind me on my T2. I think I had some luck as the most rotted foam flew loose around inside, the PCB itself wasn't that much dirty but the surfaces on the pots and toggle switches had been copletely crustal. It took me about 12 hours to scratch all off the dirt, but now with some gun oil for the little oxidation that had started it's pretty shiny now. I replaced the OP amp chip and it's working fine now.
When my tech will be back from outer work in two months he'll do a huge upgrading on, 2 additional oscillators,
a square wave ring modulator chip, and probably an additional contour generator.
I've still installed 30 yoears ago three modulation outputs, 2 LFOs, 1 Contour for being able to modulate my MINI without using its 3 oscillator.
I'm gonna see if I can show some pics after here when work is done............
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.