Staggered oscillators?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
midilifestyle

Staggered oscillators?

Post by midilifestyle » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:59 am

Hey all,

So I'm trying to reverse engineer the "relaxation drone" factory preset.

They've got the gate open and keyboard off, with a really slow sample and hold set to stair step that triggers the gates, resulting in the chord being played repeatedly. But here's the thing: the gates trigger for each oscillator, one at a time, like slowly strumming a chord. What is doing that?

I figured out the speed of the strum is controlled by the speed of the LFO that is being stair stepped by the s&h, yes. But I don't know how to produce that lag between the oscs on my own from scratch. Any thoughts?

MC

Re: Staggered oscillators?

Post by MC » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:29 pm

My guess is the mix levels are being modulated. Check the pot mappings.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:20 pm

Probably it's sample and hold modulating waveshape - this allows you to go to 0% pulse width at on the S+H steps that are above a certain voltage - which makes the VCO silent for that step.
One of my favorite tricks. By setting the VCOs to different amounts of pulse width (This is between ~2:00 and full CW on the wave pots) you can get some to cut out while others are still sounding.
SD

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:59 am

That's indeed what it is...some of it at least.

Still can't totally recreate that patch. But hey: inspires you to learn, no?