I'm sure most of you saw this ?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thealien666

I'm sure most of you saw this ?

Post by thealien666 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:43 pm

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/minim ... og-voyager

"Rant on:"

Personally, I wouldn't want one. Why ? Because it's not the casing that makes the sound, first of all, and second choosing aluminum is a strange decision in my humble opinion. Wood represents warmth, richness, nature much more suited to the Moog analog sound. Metal represents coldness and harshness much more suited for digital.

What's next, a steel or plastic casing version too ? Why not carbon fiber (that would surely set a record for the highest price tag for a Voyager) :roll:
Although I wish them well with this Al version.

Instead of constantly repackaging the same thing, over and over again, with gimmicky things like lights, different color schemes and finish, and now this aluminum version and such, maybe they should concentrate their efforts instead on going ahead with producing modules based on the famed ones in the modular Moog, and offering them in either 5U or Eurorack formats.
There's a limit to endlessly coming up with gimmicks to try and sell more Voyagers. Unless you're like Paul Shaffer of the David Letterman show, and use a Voyager simply as eye candy in the background without ever having played it ?

"Rant off."
Last edited by thealien666 on Thu May 22, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

aisling

Re: I'm sure most of you saw this ?

Post by aisling » Thu May 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Maybe they should make a hemp version next

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Nah, people would be too tempted to smoke the casing of their Voyager... :lol: :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Thu May 22, 2014 3:27 pm

I agree completely with the OP. Give us new, groundbreaking products.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Thu May 22, 2014 3:33 pm

Perhaps not a product for everyone, I really like that aluminum Voyager. Polished aluminum was always one of my favorite metals. Polished and glass beaded aluminum has a certain depth and luster to it, unlike chrome that is completly reflective. Might go back to my cyclist days, where those high quality Italian made, hand polished aluminum Campagnolo parts had this amazing finish. Or the British hand polished/beaded aluminum covers on a Trimuph motorcycle. This is a true art to get an aluminum finish that has that depth no other metal has.
Not the first time Moog replaced wood with aluminum either. The all wood 955/956 linear controller was replaced with the mostly aluminum 1150 ribbon controller. Even though Moog covered the aluminum with a black anodized finish, I went through great lengths to remove the anodize and properly polish the aluminum housing on one of my 1150's.
Looks warm to me, and a nice contrast between wood and polished aluminum.
I guess Moog could have put some wood accents to make the aluminum Voyager a bit warmer looking? But those old R.A.Moog etched aluminum panels are still one of the warmest looking and sounding synthesizers. All that etched aluminum looks badass!
Nothing but aluminum in those old Moog front panels. Even the original Minimoogs had an aluminum etched front panel. Metal and wood is good, and Moog has a history of using aluminum.
Not a fan of plastics, but a clear Lucite/Plexiglass case on a Voyager would look cool too!
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu May 22, 2014 5:11 pm

I'm not saying I am hot for one but it didn't take much R&D to give a Voyager case to a local metal shop and say "hey, make us a fancy aluminum case using this as your template, maybe we will buy 100 if the price is right and it's well machined".

For one thing, it might be good in an area with bad termite problems or high humidity. Or maybe the seashore? Maybe it has a built in theft detection system and if you try to pick it up you get electrocuted? :lol:

I like it better than the solid gold model but that's just me.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu May 22, 2014 7:02 pm

Yeah I don't really know what's going on over there in Asheville. The Voyager is an amazingly capable, beautiful sounding synthesizer. I think that ought to be enough to sell units, but maybe it isn't.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun May 25, 2014 4:39 pm

If they actually make money off of these Aluminum Voyagers, this allows them to be more creative with their new offerings.

I'm all for it. Let the collectors fund my next Moog purchase.

Stephen

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Tue May 27, 2014 11:39 am

By special arrangement with Moog Music, I'm delighted to be the owner of Aluminum Voyager #007 :) I received it about 10 days ago, and it has already seen time on several live shows. The aluminum body is a stunning work of art, it lives on an aluminum Ultimate Support column stand with an aluminum MacBook perched over it and as I hoped it would be, it's truly the Harley-Davidson of live rigs :) I play over 70 shows a year on average, so my Aluminum is far from a 'collectable'...in fact, it's almost paid for itself already. I also have a Voyager Select, Maple wood with Jade panel and have had great fun lately playing the two of them in duo mode...functionally, I'l no longer miss my Memorymoog for big 4th & 5ths in future recordings. I'll testify in court as an analog synth Subject Matter Expert of over 30 years that that 'the wood one' and 'the metal one' sound...are you ready?...EXACTLY THE SAME:) But I bet you already knew they would. I must say, some of these remarks about what a Moog synthesizer should or shouldn't be, are (I suspect, unintentionally) humorous. I have no dog in this fight, I've owned almost everything Moog has ever made at one time or another and they all had their charm, tho I'm in no hurry to own a Liberation again...I'm just glad Moog exists and is thriving in 2014. Not sure how things are in Canada, but here in the US we're free to simply not buy the Moogs we don't like personally, without criticizing the choices of others. I'd rather spend that time making music.
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Tue May 27, 2014 11:54 am

Well said.

I'm so happy Moog is still around also. I never had the chance to get a minimoog when I was young and the thought of buying a vintage model today scares me. Today I own a Voyager, as well as a lot of the other great instruments Moog produces.

Thank you Moog!!!!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:09 pm

First of all, I'm not criticizing other people's choices. If someone wants an aluminum Voyager, then let them get one and be entirely satisfied with it, there's absolutely nothing wrong in that ! And besides, if it can provide some more money for Moog Music, it can't be dismissed. But I doubt that with only 100 made it'll be a permanent source of additional revenues, much like the recent Emerson Modular Clones. :D

And you've summed up my point in one sentence in your comment Vince, and I quote : "I'll testify in court as an analog synth Subject Matter Expert of over 30 years that that 'the wood one' and 'the metal one' sound...are you ready?...EXACTLY THE SAME."

So, besides showing off on stage with it, what's the point exactly ? They could at least have upgraded the digital board with some extra flashrom room for added new features in firmware on it maybe ?
It sure looks cool (in all meanings of the word) but that's about it. This is simply a great 14 years old instrument design in a new shell, yet again.
BTW, not everyone who plays a Moog can boast doing shows with them and have them paid for quickly. $4K is a lot of money for most musicians, doing shows or not.

Oh, and Vince, the fact that I live in Canada has nothing to do with anything whatsoever. That was a kinda cheap shot. :? But hey, I too sometimes write things on the spur of the moment and it doesn't always come out right, and even goes a little too far occasionally. :wink:

In conclusion, to each his or her own, and I'm glad you're entirely satisfied with your Al Voyager, Vince. I wish you success with it.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue May 27, 2014 2:05 pm

The notion that Moog should continue to repackage old designs for the purposes of "staying afloat" has probably been argued ad nauseam. Solid gold Voyagers, quintuple A topped guitars and electric lap steels are products which have some people scratching their heads. Hopefully they will offer some a la carte 5u modules or the Emerson system will be added to the above list. There have been people clamoring for a polysynth for a long time and people start to wonder what's up with decisions like that in the product vacuum of their customer's true desires.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MC

Post by MC » Tue May 27, 2014 2:12 pm

EricK wrote:The notion that Moog should continue to repackage old designs for the purposes of "staying afloat" has probably been argued ad nauseam. Solid gold Voyagers, quintuple A topped guitars and electric lap steels are products which have some people scratching their heads. Hopefully they will offer some a la carte 5u modules or the Emerson system will be added to the above list. There have been people clamoring for a polysynth for a long time and people start to wonder what's up with decisions like that in the product vacuum of their customer's true desires.
Fender and Gibson have made ad nauseam variations of Strats and Les Pauls. Why shouldn't Moog?
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Tue May 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Big Bambo Voyager................................................Maybe in our future ?

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue May 27, 2014 3:00 pm

MC wrote:Fender and Gibson have made ad nauseam variations of Strats and Les Pauls. Why shouldn't Moog?
That's not a valid argument.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.