New Little Phatty / Slim Phatty firmware to test

Everything Phatty.
fishman77

Re: New Little Phatty / Slim Phatty firmware to test

Post by fishman77 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:11 am

I updated my LP Stage 2 and 2 slims today. I played around with them poly chained for a long time today with no problems at all. Anytime before it would've gone out of sync after 10 minutes or so. Haven't really tested much else. The poly chain is so addictive to play with!
Adam
www.thesolutionmusic.com
Adam Embree
www.thesolutionmusic.com

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:47 am

fishman77 wrote:I updated my LP Stage 2 and 2 slims today. I played around with them poly chained for a long time today with no problems at all. Anytime before it would've gone out of sync after 10 minutes or so. Haven't really tested much else. The poly chain is so addictive to play with!
Adam
http://www.thesolutionmusic.com
+1

Exact same set-up, now no issues! Dropped notes were the only negative thing I could say about this poly-chaining system, but now that they're gone, this is a freakin' awesome poly-synth!! 8)

I also noticed the "Sync Lock" toggle addition in the Global Arp Menu - I read about it earlier in this thread, but I've yet to play around with that.

But for now, no issues here! :D

Thanks again Amos!

David.
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

weltonb

Post by weltonb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:42 am

BEAUTIFUL!!! The poly chain works like a dream--specifically MY dream. Exactly the bug fix that I needed to use this for my intended purposes. THANK YOU AMOS!!!!!

And thanks David Smyth for the heads up!!!

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:24 pm

weltonb wrote:..And thanks David Smyth for the heads up!!!
No problem! :D

Just reporting back - after some more polyphonic playing, I will say that I've noticed that the dropped notes issue can still occur, albeit rarely in comparison to before. So this is a pretty big improvement, which has allowed me to play/record various polyphonic pieces that I couldn't play reliably before. I'm keen to hear how other poly-chained systems are performing in this regard (has the issue disappeared entirely or does it still occur rarely?).

I am grateful for this update, but assuming LP/SP firmware coding is still taking place, I would welcome any further development that would result in increased poly-chain note distribution stability. Hopefully it's possible to eliminate dropped notes entirely, without having to send "ALL NOTES OFF" commands.

Thanks for all the hard work Amos.

Regards,
David.
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:36 am

Hello, all! Thanks for the great feedback.

I have another update here; this is probably the last one for this round of work.

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... Update.zip [LP Stage / Stage II]
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... Update.zip [Slim Phatty]
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... Update.zip [LP Tribute]

fixed in this version is a pot-mapping bug where the pot value was being inverted.

David Smyth: regarding the occasional dropped notes, are you getting to a place where the whole poly chain is "out of sync" (as used to happen, where two units will both play one note and then no units play the next note)? Or is it just a momentary drop-out?

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:15 am

Amos wrote:I have another update here; this is probably the last one for this round of work.
Awesome! Thanks again! :D
Amos wrote:David Smyth: regarding the occasional dropped notes, are you getting to a place where the whole poly chain is "out of sync" (as used to happen, where two units will both play one note and then no units play the next note)? Or is it just a momentary drop-out?
It appears to be the "out of sync" issue I encountered, although it must be somewhat rare (or perhaps caused by a certain way of playing?) because last night I tried for about 45 minutes to recreate the situation with no luck! Tonight however, I came across it and played one note at a time to analyse what was going on - the LP played a note, followed by a missing note, followed by the 2 SP's playing a stacked note - that cycle repeats. But as I started typing this (2 minutes later), I went to confirm my findings and play one note at a time again - but by this time it seems to have corrected itself!

For what it's worth, tonight's test was carried out with the latest firmware on all units, as per your last post above.

EDIT: I have also since encountered the very similar "momentary drop-out" issue. In the same style of test as above, one SP simply failed to sound, without any stacking on any other notes. It also fixed itself a minute or two later, as per the other issue.

However, at this time I believe the "out of sync" issue is the most common out of the two (I've only noticed the "momentary drop-out" issue once so far).

I hope this information helps!

Regards,
David
NZ

teiko

Post by teiko » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Amos wrote: fixed in this version is a pot-mapping bug where the pot value was being inverted.
Thank you for this quick fix! I just updated the firmware and the mapped pots work fine, it's so much better now :)

But there's one new bug: After assigning a mapped value to a pot the destination (ext/int/both) has to be chosen. Unfortunately this isn't saved with the preset anymore, so when changing to another preset after saving and back again, the assignment is set to "ext" for all pots and has to be set to "int" again.

EDIT: It seems the pot assignment isn't -LOADED- correctly, since all my mapped knobs don't work for the first time i load an own preset.

Regards
Michael
Windows 10 Prof. X64 / Ableton Live 11 / Slim Phatty V3.21, Sub37 V1.20 / Moog USB Driver 4.25.0

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:28 am

teiko wrote:...But there's one new bug: After assigning a mapped value to a pot the destination (ext/int/both) has to be chosen. Unfortunately this isn't saved with the preset anymore, so when changing to another preset after saving and back again, the assignment is set to "ext" for all pots and has to be set to "int" again.
EDIT: It seems the pot assignment isn't -LOADED- correctly, since all my mapped knobs don't work for the first time i load an own preset.
:| this board doesn't have a "facepalm" emoticon.
Little Phatty code is so complex and inter-dependent... it is so hard to change anything without causing additional unintended effects.
I'll look at it now. Thanks for testing!

Amos

edit: OK, fixed. Try this version

(stage) http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... Update.zip
(slim) http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... Update.zip
(tribute) http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... Update.zip

BarkerBaumecker

Post by BarkerBaumecker » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:30 pm

Hello!

Somehow the MacOS Phatty Loader isn't available anymore, the link mentioned on previous page doesn't work anymore.
Could you please upload it again?

Thank you so much!

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:47 am

BarkerBaumecker wrote:Somehow the MacOS Phatty Loader isn't available anymore, the link mentioned on previous page doesn't work anymore.
Could you please upload it again?
Seems I renamed the file and broke the link. Fixed now; sorry for the inconvenience!

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... -MacOS.zip

teiko

Post by teiko » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:04 pm

Amos wrote: :| this board doesn't have a "facepalm" emoticon.
Little Phatty code is so complex and inter-dependent... it is so hard to change anything without causing additional unintended effects.
I'll look at it now. Thanks for testing!

Amos

edit: OK, fixed. Try this version

(stage) http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... Update.zip
(slim) http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... Update.zip
(tribute) http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... Update.zip
Yes i can imagine that, i have to deal with the same problems in my job :) But it seems it works fine now after some testing. Thank you very much for this very fast fix. I'm very happy, it's so much fun now playing with cutoff,res and eg amt simultaneously!
I would just give an advice to be careful, when loading old presets since the loading code has changed now. Especially when saved with one of this Beta versions. I had one preset where the filter knob loaded in mapped mode every time with a new random value (dont know how i saved it anymore). After resaving the patch everything was ok again. But i think this is pretty normal in such conditions, so nothing to worry

I will test further the next days and post my results.

Regards
Michael
Windows 10 Prof. X64 / Ableton Live 11 / Slim Phatty V3.21, Sub37 V1.20 / Moog USB Driver 4.25.0

furiousgreencloud

Post by furiousgreencloud » Wed May 07, 2014 3:52 am

Amos wrote: Little Phatty code is so complex and inter-dependent... ...
- Amos
Dear Moog Staff,

Would Moog ever consider opening the source code for the firmware? Especially for discontinued models/lines (like the L/Slim/Stage Phatties).

This would create much hackery fun.....

denoiser

Post by denoiser » Thu May 08, 2014 1:28 pm

furiousgreencloud wrote:Would Moog ever consider opening the source code for the firmware? Especially for discontinued models/lines (like the L/Slim/Stage Phatties).

That would be totally awesome!

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Thu May 08, 2014 8:35 pm

furiousgreencloud wrote:
Amos wrote: Little Phatty code is so complex and inter-dependent... ...
- Amos
Dear Moog Staff,

Would Moog ever consider opening the source code for the firmware? Especially for discontinued models/lines (like the L/Slim/Stage Phatties).

I wouldn't count on that anytime soon -
The Little & Slim Phatty share what is essentially the same operating system, and the Slim Phatty has not been discontinued.

Plus, given the fact that Moog just released a pretty major firmware update leads me to believe that they aren't quite finished with the line just yet - which is a good thing! :)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri May 09, 2014 2:57 am

Stuka wrote:
I wouldn't count on that anytime soon -
The Little & Slim Phatty share what is essentially the same operating system, and the Slim Phatty has not been discontinued.

Plus, given the fact that Moog just released a pretty major firmware update leads me to believe that they aren't quite finished with the line just yet - which is a good thing! :)
Well, in the meantime, the code could be released under Creative Commons or Open Source.

Once the Slim is discontinued then as GPL!
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra