Taurus 3 Arp Note Rest Brainstorm

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
psynthetic

Taurus 3 Arp Note Rest Brainstorm

Post by psynthetic » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi Guys.

So, I've been thinking about this on and off for a little while and I really think it will add some serious funk to the Taurus 3 if we could implement a "Rest note" system for the arp.. with the note stack, pattern transpose and.. dare I say it, maybe a swing feature one day? (Please Amos, if you implement it on the S37, design it so you can port it over to the T3 and LP Arps..)

So, assuming that it's possible, i think the most obvious question is, what buttons would be best to enter the "rest" notes with?

I'm thinking using PGM mode would be best for this..

If you're familiar with the T3's arp, you'll probably know that the "Delay" button has the Arp controls assigned to it in PGM mode, but it's already pretty tightly packed.. 1 Click to start the arp, 3 to tap the tempo and hold to turn it off..

So.. that leaves "Glide" and "Octave" with (in PGM mode) LFO Tap Tempo and Note Latch assigned..

A few options have occurred to me regarding this..

One is assigning the "Rest Note" to "Octave" in PGM Mode, where clicking it turns note latch on and off as normal, but holding it down for two seconds adds a rest note to the arp pattern..
OR... perhaps a better option would be, change turning on Note Latch in PGM mode to a 2-3 second hold on "Octave" and change clicking "Octave" to add a rest note so they could be added quickly whilst building patterns.. you could even do two or three in a row no worries..

The other options I guess would involve using "Glide", but quick tapping on that is already assigned to LFO tap tempo and that's very useful, so it'd have to be setup where you hold the "Glide" button for a couple seconds to add a rest note.. or I guess, if it's clicked and then a note is hit before it's clicked again it could add a rest instead of treating it as an LFO tempo tap.. but that seems a little counter intuitive to me.. also i can't see an easy way to add multiple rest notes in a row...

Being able to stack up and transpose patterns is nice… but it's very relentless/static, no groove, just a little bit dead.. I think rest notes will add some nice jazzy/funky options even without swing.. I know a couple of people have mentioned being able to store arp note stack patterns in the past, that'd certainly be a nice touch.. or even store a default progression that starts from whatever the first note you hit is with the arp activated, I dunno I haven't spent the time thinking about exactly how this could work.. i'm just running of on a tangent getting excited thinking about the possibilities :roll:

Anyway, regarding the arp rest notes, I really think that this will help all of squeeze that little bit more from our beloved Tauri, so I'd really love to hear your thoughts on this guys, I'm sure there are options I haven't thought of and this seems like it's pretty achievable..

Mr Arkadin

Re: Taurus 3 Arp Note Rest Brainstorm

Post by Mr Arkadin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:33 am

I haven't used the arp much. In the current set-up can you add arp notes in a different octave seeing as the Octave switch is used for other functions?

Back to the rest idea. How about when you press and hold the Octave button the top C foot pedal becomes a rest? This would allow a more musical entering of rests. Press Octave again and you're back in normal mode. You could even carry on hitting notes into the arp in this mode except for top C (it might even be possible to assign the rest note per patch so you could make the rest note a different note that does not appear in the key of the music perhaps).
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:13 am

Yes, you can, you just have to switch back out of PGM mode so that the octave button functions as normal, then you can play in the higher notes at your leisure, and switch back into PGM mode (without it switching out of the higher octave) if you desire.. you can control the arp in the menus with the wheel etc also, but it has the option of using PGM mode for some of the controls to be available with your feet. :)

I hadn't thought of using the pedals themselves for adding rests.. I could see that working though as there's no need to hold down a note when you're making arp patterns, although, when stacking notes in the arp "Note Latch" needs to be on.. so as long as Amos could work it so those two things don't interfere with each other that could be a good option.

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:55 pm

Just had another thought on the subject..

Seeing as it's primarily a bass instrument, I think maybe a syncopation mode for the Arp might be nice? so instead of triggering on the clock note it triggers between them..

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:34 am

I'd be happy for a final bug fix, but this syncopation mode sounds like it would be a great feature! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:43 pm

Just an optimistic bump.. T3 for life! 8)