total newb needs help

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
mrberger

total newb needs help

Post by mrberger » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:53 am

Hi all,
just got a minitaur and I'm totally new to the Moog world. I downloaded the editor. The editor crashes upon launch and my anti-virus software (Norton) deletes the executable! I mean, I don't even get to a splash screen, it just craps out and eliminates itself from my machine. The deleted executable does not show up in the recycle bin so I am forced to re-download the zip file on every attempt. Tried running the editor executable as admin and got the same results.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I looked over the minitaur forum and could not find a similar situation.

Here's what I am running at home:
Win 7 Home 64 bit.
Presonus Studio Live 16.4 as the audio interface.
Ableton Live.
Hammond Sk1 as a controller for the Minitaur.

Mr Arkadin

Re: total newb needs help

Post by Mr Arkadin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Without wishing to appear frivolous, you would do yourself and your computer a huge favour by deleting Norton and using a different anti-virus program. Norton is notorious and will hog resources and for a computer being used for music this is a bad idea.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

shelthc

Post by shelthc » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:59 pm

Try running it in compatibility with windows 7. Had the same issue and this worked for me.

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:29 am

Mr Arkadin wrote:Without wishing to appear frivolous, you would do yourself and your computer a huge favour by deleting Norton and using a different anti-virus program. Norton is notorious and will hog resources and for a computer being used for music this is a bad idea.
I am open to using a non-resource hog AV program. What would you suggest?

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:31 am

shelthc wrote:Try running it in compatibility with windows 7. Had the same issue and this worked for me.
I will give that a try should the issue re-appear.

I did figure out how to configure Norton so that it Excludes the editor from scans on startup.

Thanks to those who have replied!

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 am

mrberger wrote: I am open to using a non-resource hog AV program. What would you suggest?
Personally I use Kaspersky, but I see complaints about that on the internet too! However I've never had resource issues and when I am running my audio programs I just turn it off anyway, which I have heard is quite difficult to do in Norton. Avoid McAphee too. I would rather use AVG Free than Norton in the meantime, and occasionally run Malwarebytes to remove spambots etc.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:15 am

I used to have AVG, but some years ago I decided to uninstall every antivirus, I only use Windows Defender (the default when you don't even want to use Microsoft Security Essentials) and my 4 windows computers work fine.

All of those programs only use precious resources. Sincerely, I think they are only crap :wink:
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:37 pm

Using AVG you can add the program to the list of exceptions.
Norton may have a similar feature.
I'd dump Norton, personally.